The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

WLS has won back the official rights to the Chicago Auto Show, possibly including an unethical journalistic policy.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/10/02/dealer-trade-chicago-auto-show-shifts-to-abc-7/#more-5185

Feder is going subscription only on Tuesday, that sucks. It's cool they are getting the auto-show back even if a lot of what ABC7 does is sanitized, it's news operation is fairly sterile and safe to be honest. That extends beyond just the auto show.

Feder is going subscription only on Tuesday, that sucks. It's cool they are getting the auto-show back even if a lot of what ABC7 does is sanitized, it's news operation is fairly sterile and safe to be honest. That extends beyond just the auto show.

That sucks about Feder. I can't stand paywalls.

To be clear, some (like myself) will likely be able to access Rob with my existing Trib subscription, but I was thinking that if that fails, I'll just see his headlines on Facebook and Twitter and decide from there how to use up my 5 alotted articles per month.

To be clear, some (like myself) will likely be able to access Rob with my existing Trib subscription, but I was thinking that if that fails, I'll just see his headlines on Facebook and Twitter and decide from there how to use up my 5 alotted articles per month.

It looks like he's bundled in with everything else Tribune related, so it'll be safe to say you will likely get it, I refuse to pay $99 for a subscription to read one blog - a good blog but still.

• 2 weeks later...

To be clear, I don't usually like these kinds of promos, but I gotta admit, this is one of the better self-serving campaigns I've seen in a long time. I'm also pretty sure that this is the first time in like decades since ABC 7 shot a promo with all of their evening anchors assembled...the last time being before they even had a morning show.

[yt]TJr2ULiUdus[/yt]

I'll try to post some better-quality stuff when I can.

To be clear, I don't usually like these kinds of promos, but I gotta admit, this is one of the better self-serving campaigns I've seen in a long time. I'm also pretty sure that this is the first time in like decades since ABC 7 shot a promo with all of their evening anchors assembled...the last time being before they even had a morning show.

[yt]TJr2ULiUdus[/yt]

I like it! I can't help but notice they didn't include the morning team.

I have a feeling WABC is going to have a promo just like this because they were shooting with shots like this last month.

[yt]TJr2ULiUdus[/yt]

Is it my imagination or does the EWN logo shake all over the place when it appears in the lower right corner? It looks really weird. Otherwise it's not bad.

Is it my imagination or does the EWN logo shake all over the place when it appears in the lower right corner? It looks really weird.

I stabilized the video, because the whole thing would've been shaky without it. Here's the better copy...

[yt]xs-lHfavOI4[/yt]

Huh, just realized that this is a shorter version. Well, you get the idea, anyway.

I stabilized the video, because the whole thing would've been shaky without it. Here's the better copy...

[yt]xs-lHfavOI4[/yt]

Huh, just realized that this is a shorter version. Well, you get the idea, anyway.

You recorded that in front of the TV... I hadn't realized that. Maybe get a tripod for like $15, it'll be stable from the get-go and then you won't have to mess with it later. That's what I did until I got the tuner card.

You recorded that in front of the TV... I hadn't realized that. Maybe get a tripod for like $15, it'll be stable from the get-go and then you won't have to mess with it later. That's what I did until I got the tuner card.

I have a tripod. It's big, though, so I just didn't bother to set it up for something that I was going to attempt to grab off the stream later. In the meantime, I also captured and posted two other promos...

[yt]ROEnAEaCzq0[/yt]

[yt]OXcvm73UMj8[/yt]

I have a tripod. It's big, though, so I just didn't bother to set it up for something that I was going to attempt to grab off the stream later. In the meantime, I also captured and posted two other promos...

[yt]ROEnAEaCzq0[/yt]

[yt]OXcvm73UMj8[/yt]

I gotcha, I wasn't sure if you did or not. Those others look decent as well.

The first 15 minutes of tonight's 6pm news featured a new in-news weather ticker that includes a map filling the space of the bug. It looks good, not over the top, but it only reminds me how I miss a normal, full-width ticker on the morning news.

Bz3PSGECYAAWtLs.jpg

The first 15 minutes of tonight's 6pm news featured a new in-news weather ticker that includes a map filling the space of the bug. It looks good, not over the top, but it only reminds me how I miss a normal, full-width ticker on the morning news.

http://t.co/Y5JhrjUOGR

Looks nice, is this due to the severe weather in the area or is this gonna be a new daily feature?

Looks nice, is this due to the severe weather in the area or is this gonna be a new daily feature?

It was only on for the duration of a t-storm warning, and went back to normal after a break, once the warning expired.

While not the most creative promo, it is unique to see the entire evening crew in one shot.

http://t.co/Y5JhrjUOGR

This feature has been employed by others in the past, but I don't recall ABC 7 doing this before. Not sure it was warranted tonight however.

This feature has been employed by others in the past, but I don't recall ABC 7 doing this before.

First ones that came to my mind were 6, 7 & 11 out east.

Not sure it was warranted tonight however.

Well, the updated the in-show (non-news) weather ticker within the last few months, but with so little severe weather over that time, I'm guessing they were really itching for a reason to use it. Also, to be fair (my forecasting class discussed it this morning), the whole Chicago area was at risk of random pop-up storm cells, so they had to be ready just in case.

First ones that came to my mind were 6, 7 & 11 out east.

Well, the updated the in-show (non-news) weather ticker within the last few months, but with so little severe weather over that time, I'm guessing they were really itching for a reason to use it. Also, to be fair (my forecasting class discussed it this morning), the whole Chicago area was at risk of random pop-up storm cells, so they had to be ready just in case.

The only trouble with that is that it has happened several times before this season that there was a risk of random pop-up storms, so if you are right and they updated it a while ago then they were probably just itching to use it. A tornado watch (and later warning) for part of the area makes a GREAT reason to use it. You trying to be a Meteorologist there J?

The Dionne Miller deal is done. She'll be the weekend sports anchor, but she starts Monday.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/10/16/dionne-miller-scores-abc-7-sports-job/

This will be interesting, btw, the story only appears briefly before the pay wall goes up, maybe synopses are better after all. The home page displays the first two paragraphs. Linking directly to it is virtually useless.

What in the holy fuck? I can't even put this one into words, so I'm going to quote the Feder article directly...

Cheryl Scott, the hottest free agent in Chicago media, is close to accepting an offer from WLS-Channel 7, where she EVENTUALLY would succeed Jerry Taft as the ABC-owned station’s top meteorologist, sources said.

Finalizing the deal has been delayed by Scott’s former employer, WMAQ-Channel 5, which could exercise its right to match ABC 7’s offer, raising the slim possibility that she would return to the NBC-owned station. But insiders said they don’t expect that to happen.

[...] Sources said ABC 7 has offered Scott a three-year contract that EVENTUALLY would elevate her to the station’s top-rated 10 p.m. Monday-through-Friday newscast.

[...] If Scott went back to NBC 5, it would not be to replace chief meteorologist Brant Miller, who’s secure on the 10 p.m. newscast, or Andy Avalos, longtime morning meteorologist.

Sources familiar with Scott’s NBC 5 contract said the station retains the right to match the financial terms of other offers for six months. After March 2015, she would be free to accept employment elsewhere with no strings attached.

http://www.robertfeder.com/2014/10/20/with-offer-from-abc-7-sun-is-shining-for-cheryl-scott/

Whatever CircleSeven says about this, I wholeheartedly agree (on this move, anyway). However, I did capitalize a key term to reassure (mostly myself) that NOTHING is set in stone, but Ms. Scott's seemingly inflated ego will likely seal this deal. I hope Mr. Idler is prepared to fill 1, 2, or even 3 other weather positions if and when this is finalized.