The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

I wish those two can anchor at 4 on ABC 7 just like they used to at 11 again. I know, it will never happen but still... They set the bar so high for news outlets in Chicago when they anchored together Midday in my opinion. If WFLD was smart, they would've worked something out with her. I know its a far stretch with them, I just wish they would realize she could boost ratings on their 9 p.m. show.

I caught a bit of 'In the Loop' and Sylvia looked good (maybe lost a little weight) and I agree she should be on the air somewhere. There's a new 9P EP @ WFLD and I highly doubt he will be given the opportunity to make the wholesale changes that are needed. I would like to know why a deal with FOX fell threw. She was reportedly in talks to join the station soon after she left WLS.

Maybe he's doing his taxes early. :D

That's pretty good. :)

If he didn't give any specific explanation, I suppose he wants to keep it private but didn't want folks to worry about him. Pretty good of him to even post that really.

I caught a bit of 'In the Loop' and Sylvia looked good (maybe lost a little weight) and I agree she should be on the air somewhere. There's a new 9P EP @ WFLD and I highly doubt he will be given the opportunity to make the wholesale changes that are needed. I would like to know why a deal with FOX fell threw. She was reportedly in talks to join the station soon after she left WLS.

Since being off ABC7, Sylvia Perez has been a fill-in talk show host at 89 WLS-AM a few times (and she's currently still on their fill-in call list).. She does very well with AM talk radio.. I honestly think it's something that suits her better and uses her to a fuller potential (plus, she enjoys it much more) than just reading news at the anchor desk. I believe it's something she saw too and she may be straying away from the TV anchor desk for something else..

With college football winding down, ABC stations across the eastern U.S. are moving their Saturday evening newscasts back an hour.

Two minutes ago..."From Chicago's #1 News, ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 6 starts right now."

Someone didn't get the memo.

"Phil will be off for a couple of weeks."

I wouldn't be shocked if Phil has some personal days stocked up, and the station wants him to burn them off by the end of the year, before he will work a few holiday shifts, himself.

Yeah, I'm really warming up to him, too. He was a little stiff when he first joined the station last year, but has improved in his delivery and demeanor since then.

Now that he's been here a year, they should really make him an "official employee" of ABC. He has a good future here. They could easily be trying him out while Phil is off for these few weeks. With Cheryl Scott expected to join the team, you can tell they're going on the younger side.

With college football winding down, ABC stations across the eastern U.S. are moving their Saturday evening newscasts back an hour.

Two minutes ago..."From Chicago's #1 News, ABC 7 Eyewitness News at 6 starts right now."

Someone didn't get the memo.

Looks right to us ET people :D

She could start by the end of the year, capacity unknown. Jerry didn't know but gets it, and is not getting forced out. His contract is til 2016, so they COULD work with 6 for like a year, but speculation in the comments is that Phil's not coming back. "I'll now be the second best looking." -Taft

I would guess we'll see Jerry or Mike tonight, but Phil will be back in at 4pm tomorrow and in for Tracy on Friday. It turns out he took his 90 year old father, a world traveller, to Vietnam and Cambodia.

I'm just not sold on her as any more than a fill-in, she seems a little young and under-experienced.

Oh, I'm in a similar boat on her. I still think that she should not have the chief title when the time comes, but I'm pretty much okay with her being the 10pm show exclusively; many other top-market stations follow this concept. Also, I am more open to her future positioning knowing that she's not hitting the ground running, and they're bringing her up in the patented ABC 7 Farm System (yeah, that's what I'm going to call it).

I'm just not sold on her as any more than a fill-in, she seems a little young and under-experienced.

I agree. Maybe working behind the scenes with Jerry and the rest of the crew will enable her to learn more and get better.