The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Did anyone happen to catch ABC 7 EWN at 4/5, or 6 to see if C. Scott made her debut? Just curious that's all.

There was no 4, 5, or 6pm newscast. The 10pm newscast just started and it's just Ron, Jerry on weather, and TBA on sports. On a personal note, merry christmas to everyone!

Did anyone happen to catch ABC 7 EWN at 4/5, or 6 to see if C. Scott made her debut? Just curious that's all.

Also, Cheryl debuted at 4 on Wednesday (12/24). She'll also be in for Mike today. I'm guessing that this will be the new structure, with Cheryl being Mike's main back-up, and it wouldn't surprise me if Caplan will return the favor when the 7 o'clock show gets going.

There was no 4, 5, or 6pm newscast. The 10pm newscast just started and it's just Ron, Jerry on weather, and TBA on sports. On a personal note, merry christmas to everyone!

Ravi is in for Ron tonight just like on Wednesday. Was Ron really on last night, or was that a typo?

Jerry was on at 5 (and likely 6), but Cheryl's making her late show debut. Ravi is solo and Terrell's in the field.

My initial couple thoughts on Cheryl Scott:

She sounds every bit the part of a weekend meteorologist and stumbles/seems hesitant far too much for a major market. "Into about the mid-40's" and "like the lower 50's" are not really very firm statements. She has a pretty dull personality from what I've seen so far, granted that isn't much. She doesn't feel like she really fits the ABC7 mold.

Needless to say if she gets that 10pm job down the line she is going to have to get MUCH better. After seeing her I don't feel any better about not just moving everybody that's already firmly entrenched up a slot.

I don't know what it is, but I'm actually warming up to her a little, like something about her is different than when she was at channel 5. I'm feeling the same way about Dionne, kinda like a more concerted effort is being put forth because they're both on a more prominent stage, especially in Miller's case. I agree though, Scott does have a lot of work to do.

As for the vague numerical forecasts, that not really huge. The others do it; maybe not as much, but they're just as guilty. And, also in her defense, the temps and conditions over the weekend in the area are going to be a little spotty, so giving ranges instead of hard numbers isn't that bad of an idea.

I don't know what it is, but I'm actually warming up to her a little, like something about her is different than when she was at channel 5. I'm feeling the same way about Dionne, kinda like a more concerted effort is being put forth because they're both on a more prominent stage, especially in Miller's case. I agree though, Scott does have a lot of work to do.

As for the vague numerical forecasts, that not really huge. The others do it; maybe not as much, but they're just as guilty. And, also in her defense, the temps and conditions over the weekend in the area are going to be a little spotty, so giving ranges instead of hard numbers isn't that bad of an idea.

It was the unnecessary use of "about" and "like" that got me, especially the latter since it's misused by everyone outside of broadcasting (lots of people younger than 40) and doesn't belong being misused on the news. I don't hear anyone else using an unnecessary like virtually anywhere big or small to describe a temperature. The about I suppose I can live with but it's still cringe worthy. I would prefer to hear "low to mid" as a descriptor rather than "about". For some reason little things like that stick out to me, I certainly don't really mean to sound like a grammar nazi.

I didn't watch her at channel 5 so this is a cold read, I'm sure she'll improve with time as most things in TV that last awhile seem to do.

ABC 7 hit 1,000,000 Facebook likes this morning, and sure enough, they posted the promo in which I appear. It's currently on their Facebook page, but I'll try to post it tomorrow. If anyone wants to post the link here, knock yourself out.

Mike was on at 4 and 10, with Cheryl at 5 and 6. THAT would seem like a logical fill-in formula and future succession plan upon Jerry's retirement, but the 7 o'clock show puts a wrinkle in the former and seems generally unlikely in the latter situation.

Mike was on at 4 and 10, with Cheryl at 5 and 6. THAT would seem like a logical fill-in formula and future succession plan upon Jerry's retirement, but the 7 o'clock show puts a wrinkle in the former and seems generally unlikely in the latter situation.

How bout Mike at 4, 5 and 6 and Cheryl at 7 and 10? Seems pretty straightforward.

How bout Mike at 4, 5 and 6 and Cheryl at 7 and 10? Seems pretty straightforward.

I doubt they want to ruffle any more feathers with Cheryl sitting in for Jerry @ 10p when Mike is the primary sub. I get the sense that her hiring hasn't been completely welcomed by all, so as to not make matters worse, everyone gets to be appeased to some degree. This is likely why Jerry worked Thanksgiving and Christmas with Mike subbing for him at 10p recently. She will get her chance, it just likely won't be anytime soon.