The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Oh, I'm in a similar boat on her. I still think that she should not have the chief title when the time comes, but I'm pretty much okay with her being the 10pm show exclusively; many other top-market stations follow this concept. Also, I am more open to her future positioning knowing that she's not hitting the ground running, and they're bringing her up in the patented ABC 7 Farm System (yeah, that's what I'm going to call it).

I agree. Maybe working behind the scenes with Jerry and the rest of the crew will enable her to learn more and get better.

I think you are both right in that there may not be many better places than WLS to learn in a hurry how to do it the right way. Since this is "effective immediately" we will probably see her before Christmas and get a feel for how she fits with the existing talent... maybe including on the 10pm.

IIRC, Ron Magers is always off on Christmas. He works the Thanksgiving holiday every year, but then he's always off for the entire two weeks of Christmas and New Years. I think it's usually Ravi Baichwal and sometimes Linda Yu on Christmas.

Side note: Mike Caplan filled in for Phil yesterday, and Phil is back today filling in for Mike on the 4pm news.

Now that you mention it, yeah, Ravi's done Christmas for a few years now. Pretty much since the last time the holiday fell on a weekend (2010). I do recall Magers being on several times when I was younger. It will be hard to predict the usually-predictable holiday line-ups with the equivalent of an entire anchor team added in the last year (Brown, Babich, Scott, and the Miller, with the latter being the only replacement/successor). However, I would probably peg Baichwal and Babich for New Year's Eve, though Janet Davies would do the early shows for a bunch of years.

Maybe they will give Mike the title "Chief Meteorologist" and give Tracy the title "Senior Meteorologist" to make them feel better.

As time passes, I think Phil will be let go. So Troy should take weekend evenings and become an official employee, while Cheryl is doing weekend mornings, as well as working behind the scenes with the weather team during the week, just as Troy does.

I don't see Phil being let go at all. Maybe he quits but I don't see him being fired by any means.

Maybe they will give Mike the title "Chief Meteorologist" and give Tracy the title "Senior Meteorologist" to make them feel better.

I don't see Phil being let go at all. Maybe he quits but I don't see him being fired by any means.

See, I don't know that Tracy or Phil would have a problem with Mike being declared chief, but the rumor is that Cheryl will be given the title. And, you're right. I don't see anyone getting fired, either. I have a feeling management is anticipating someone resigning. I still have my theory that ABC 7 can pay Cheryl and give the other 3 a healthy raise to make up for the passover and still spend less than the most recent arrangement (Taft, Caplan, Butler & Schwarz). Plus, a PR disaster is avoided by paying them off.

I love how anticlimactic it was. He didn't swear or goof around, he just started over and moved on like a pro.

I'm sure he's picked up a few tips over the years from 'Running Nose' Ron...

[yt]XQDzzdTKcLk?t=14s[/yt]

So, for shits and giggles, I've been trying to get a decent screen grab of every anchor team at channel 7. Yeah, it's odd, so sue me. Anyway, I'm trying to only get caps that look halfway decent, and a weird facial expression kills it, but I captured this gem last week. Getting TWO funny faces is an even bigger accomplishment than my original idea.

d80b2a56-d749-47c7-b9f3-613e653ed3cb_zpsa5bcfcc4.png

As time passes, I think Phil will be let go. So Troy should take weekend evenings and become an official employee, while Cheryl is doing weekend mornings, as well as working behind the scenes with the weather team during the week, just as Troy does.

I can't see Cheryl doing weekend mornings, even on a short term basis. It's a step back for her and one of the reasons why she left WMAQ. The flexible schedule she has @ WLS offers her the chance to move up faster either here in Chicago or elsewhere.

Hey, remember when I said this? You know, just yesterday...

Cubs on Friday. Cheryl Scott on Monday. WCIU news on Tuesday. What on Earth are they going to announce TOMORROW?

Well... http://deadspin.com/chicago-sports-anchor-to-bears-drop-jay-cutler-or-kil-1672193269

Long story short, a few people got their panties in a bunch, and he apologized, but just about everyone online doesn't think he did anything really bad. And, by Giangreco standards, this was nothing.

Hey, remember when I said this? You know, just yesterday...

Well... http://deadspin.com/chicago-sports-anchor-to-bears-drop-jay-cutler-or-kil-1672193269

Long story short, a few people got their panties in a bunch, and he apologized, but just about everyone online doesn't think he did anything really bad. And, by Giangreco standards, this was nothing.

I bet this was Giangreco's doing too..

https://www.facebook.com/101WKQX/photos/a.529358647179604.1073741828.527856930663109/689084514540349/?type=1&relevant_count=1

Cheryl is in-studio tonight, but not on the air. Based on some Instagram photos, the weather team is now taping a forecast that is on the jumbotron during Bulls games, she probably taped some promo shots, and this final pic shows their set-up for filming that talent opens. I would be surprised if Dionne, Terrell, and maybe even Troy filmed today/tonight.

http://instagram.com/p/wxA2m3nsxI/

Cheryl is in-studio tonight, but not on the air. Based on some Instagram photos, the weather team is now taping a forecast that is on the jumbotron during Bulls games, she probably taped some promo shots, and this final pic shows their set-up for filming that talent opens. I would be surprised if Dionne, Terrell, and maybe even Troy filmed today/tonight.

http://instagram.com/p/wxA2m3nsxI/

I wonder how long it will take her to actually get on air now that she got a little practice in the Bulls halftime show?

I wonder how long it will take her to actually get on air now that she got a little practice in the Bulls halftime show?

Phil will be in for Tracy tomorrow, but I'm sure Cheryl will have a few fill-ins next week.

The broadcast teams have been announced for the New Year's Eve special. Despite Chiaverini and Warner appearing in the program's sweepstakes commercial, Mark Giangreco and Janet Davies will return as main hosts, with Ryan and Val paired off. Hosea Sanders will be somewhere, possibly with Ji Suk Yi, like last year. But, the unexpected duo of the night will be Alan Krashesky and Cheryl Scott. I'm not surprised to hear that Cheryl is involved, heck, she filmed a promo with Hosea this morning and they're trying to raise her profile, but I don't recall any of the main anchors appearing on the telecast in the past.