The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

On the 5pm tonight, I saw Jim Rose's live hit from MSG, as the Bulls is facing the Knicks for their season opener. He held a mic with a WABC mic flag.

If I remember last year, Laura Behnke was here in Chicago, and she did her live report from the Cell. with the "just-new" WLS mic flag.

On the 5pm tonight, I saw Jim Rose's live hit from MSG, where the Bulls is facing the Knicks tonight. He held a mic with a WABC mic flag.

If I remember last year, Laura Behnke was here in Chicago, and she did her live report from the Cell. with the "just-new" WLS mic flag.

Anybody feel like posting a side by side comparison of the two?

So, ABC 7's 3pm restoration is complete. They just reinstated the 4pm preview that runs through the Jeopardy! credit roll. Yeah, it's not the same with the current theme, but it's one of those nice little hallmarks to have back.

Also, Jerry, Mike & company are starting to play around with the 7-day for the season like they did last year just before the new graphics debuted. Somebody should tell Skilling to do something like this, instead of crowding his 7-day with moving pictures, symbols and word art...

7-day_zps2fa18f96.jpg

I posted a side-by-side like umpteen pages ago. I'll look for it. It was from when WLS debuted the new ones.

Here's the comparison...

WLS' flags feature an ABC logo that is slightly raised and domed, letting light and reflections dictate it's shine effect.

970456_10151614641896162_290294836_n.jpg

WABC's flags (this one, admittedly, being a poor example due to the partially detached disc) uses a printed image of ABC's 2007 logo. Personally, I think the WLS model looks better.

micflag_zpse24ea06c.jpg?1414703534689

So, ABC 7's 3pm restoration is complete. They just reinstated the 4pm preview that runs through the Jeopardy! credit roll. Yeah, it's not the same with the current theme, but it's one of those nice little hallmarks to have back.

Also, Jerry, Mike & company are starting to play around with the 7-day for the season like they did last year just before the new graphics debuted. Somebody should tell Skilling to do something like this, instead of crowding his 7-day with moving pictures, symbols and word art...

7-day_zps2fa18f96.jpg

Here's the comparison...

WLS' flags feature an ABC logo that is slightly raised and domed, letting light and reflections dictate it's shine effect.

970456_10151614641896162_290294836_n.jpg

WABC's flags (this one, admittedly, being a poor example due to the partially detached disc) uses a printed image of ABC's 2007 logo. Personally, I think the WLS model looks better.

micflag_zpse24ea06c.jpg?1414703534689

So they are identical except that somebody figured out to make the WLS ones work well with the light. Got it.

Here's a simpler way,

• WABC uses black mics with a fat head and the abc logo is small.
  • WLS uses gray mics with a thin head and the abc logo is bigger.

I did notice that, I feel like whatever issues the first flags had were addressed in the WLS version but that they are closely related. Almost like version 1.0 and 2.0, same flags, now new and improved.

• 2 weeks later...

Kind of an interesting format change on Eyewitness News tonight, a change likely influenced sweeps. For a million years, the 4pm news has always concluded with an anchor toss and a commercial break, with the 5pm news starting thereafter. For the last 8.5 years, the 5 o'clock team would be standing by at the stand-up area to the right of the desk. Today, though, Linda Yu closed the 4pm show from the stand-up area, tossing to Ron and Cheryl at the desk. After the normal tease, the 5pm open ran, leading into a nearly 13 minute block of news (compared to the usual 9 or 10). It was different, and I really liked it. It was a nice switch of the same song and dance, and I hope they keep this toss routine beyond the end of sweeps. I have also noticed lately that the 4pm A-block has expanded by about 3 minutes, as well, but this predated the beginning of November sweeps.

c1f2be10-3e28-4108-a1e0-7175b52fad4e_zps4f11c361.png

Kind of an interesting format change on Eyewitness News tonight, a change likely influenced sweeps. For a million years, the 4pm news has always concluded with an anchor toss and a commercial break, with the 5pm news starting thereafter. For the last 8.5 years, the 5 o'clock team would be standing by at the stand-up area to the right of the desk. Today, though, Linda Yu closed the 4pm show from the stand-up area, tossing to Ron and Cheryl at the desk. After the normal tease, the 5pm open ran, leading into a nearly 13 minute block of news (compared to the usual 9 or 10). It was different, and I really liked it. It was a nice switch of the same song and dance, and I hope they keep this toss routine beyond the end of sweeps. I have also noticed lately that the 4pm A-block has expanded by about 3 minutes, as well, but this predated the beginning of November sweeps.

c1f2be10-3e28-4108-a1e0-7175b52fad4e_zps4f11c361.png

I'd like it more if Yu was on the other side so we could look at the faces of all 3 anchors at once. 7 needs an ancillary desk to toss from, this is way awkward looking but so was Rons ice cold "thanks very much" from the old toss. If Alan was with Linda it would be even better, it needs work I think. Plus she's in the way of the graphic, I'd expect a lot better from them than this. There's a monitor over there at left so it can be done the other way, I like Ron but not really the side of his head.

Here's the shot with both Linda and Alan...

studiotoss_zpsc93f1c28.png

If Alan was with Linda it would be even better, it needs work I think. Plus she's in the way of the graphic, I'd expect a lot better from them than this. There's a monitor over there at left so it can be done the other way,

As for the anchors being in the way of the graphic, that stems back to the old arrangement where the toss would go desk > full shot > stand-up, closing with the 'COMING UP AT 5PM' graphic in full view...

78f33d83-6863-4407-9cb6-bcf90202dd6f_zps97a1ee02.png

I see it now. When you were in there did you notice if those monitors are actually fixed to the floor? If they are maybe they could widen the shot a bit and have them stand either side of it. Aesthetically, blocking that graphic is really bugging me for some reason.

I know they can tilt it to adjust the angle (i.e. facing the floor versus the ceiling), and the whole piece might be able to rotate on its base, but it cannot be moved from its mounting.

Then I think the Goudie side works better for this since the angle is easier for two people to be at. I don't know how well my idea works in practice though because I'm not sure what that does in relation to the desk and the toss.

The distance of the two spots to the desk is about the same, and the sports/Goudie side monitor is more adjustable, but the way they do the toss allows for a much tighter shot. Plus, there's no good way the monitor on the left could be placed to accommodate the toss and the preceding trending segment closing the show. It might look even worse, in my opinion.

6a0dccc5-ecc2-4c97-b14e-af1f68550cbc_zpse925c43d.png

The distance of the two spots to the desk is about the same, and the sports/Goudie side monitor is more adjustable, but the way they do the toss allows for a much tighter shot. Plus, there's no good way the monitor on the left could be placed to accommodate the toss and the preceding trending segment closing the show. It might look even worse, in my opinion.

6a0dccc5-ecc2-4c97-b14e-af1f68550cbc_zpse925c43d.png

Geez, that set really isn't very flexible is it? They should invest in some portable monitors or something. Part of the problem I think is how tiny the whole thing really is.