The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Holy shit! Ron and Kathy are on a temp set and Jerry's in the upstairs studio!

There are some type of light/electrical issues happening in the studio. There was stuff everywhere on the floor when I walked by at around 8p tonight.

Isn't it amazing that this is the first time in nearly eight and a half years that this has happened? At least to the point of actually broadcasting elsewhere.

I wonder if they did this so they wouldn't have to distract the countless folks who's getting out of Grant Park for Lollapolooza.

They were downstairs for all the other shows tonight.

If they didn't ditch for NATO in 2012 or Lolla in years past, I wonder what's so different now? I'm betting on tech problems like jase is going with.

Would it be crazy though to think they might do a backdrop refresh like WPVI at some point?

Isn't it amazing that this is the first time in nearly eight and a half years that this has happened? At least to the point of actually broadcasting elsewhere.

If they didn't ditch for NATO in 2012 or Lolla in years past, I wonder what's so different now? I'm betting on tech problems like jase is going with.

Would it be crazy though to think they might do a backdrop refresh like WPVI at some point?

They will likely mention what's going on at some point. Probably before they toss it to Jerry (or thereafter).

One thing strikes me about this, though. When I was in the SSS last week, a few of the studio monitors showed the temp set they're using tonight. A production guy was sitting in the anchor seat, and they were clearly adjusting/testing the lighting and camera angles. Take it for what it's worth, but it seems weird, thinking back to what I saw.

Oh, and no mention.

Here's a quicky little album for anyone that doesn't see it... http://s1260.photobucket.com/user/24994J/library/WLS%20Temp%20Set%202014

The temp set looks a little too good for something minor. Either they are refreshing the main set or they're getting a new one. They are WAY overdue for a new set.

The temp set looks a little too good for something minor. Either they are refreshing the main set or they're getting a new one. They are WAY overdue for a new set.

I would agree. It doesn't seem like something they have set up 'already' just in case. I was surprised they had all the shades open, so you could see inside. There were a couple of lights that were removed, wires everywhere, etc.. There were also a couple of guys walking around pointing at the background duratrans and so forth, so something is going on. What...I don't know.

Now here's an actually nice cap. I'm actually digging the set-up. There's nothing really over the top with the SSS, but there's something really appealing about such a no-frills setting like this. Kind of a fun throwback to the 20 years they sat in front of a blue wall.

f51969cb-60bb-4e72-9d98-fc5850422173_zpsd142ea17.png?t=1406950790

That set looks like it's probably been around for a while. You can see the old graphics all over it. I'd bet it's part of an contingency plan in case something drastic happened to the street level studio. Though why they're using it now is anyone's guess.

I bet if the "car incident" happened an hour earlier, they would have been on this set that night.

Now here's an actually nice cap. I'm actually digging the set-up. There's nothing really over the top with the SSS, but there's something really appealing about such a no-frills setting like this. Kind of a fun throwback to the 20 years they sat in front of a blue wall.

f51969cb-60bb-4e72-9d98-fc5850422173_zpsd142ea17.png?t=1406950790

I like the huge circle-7 behind Ron, it's a decent looking if dated set. How old is that backdrop and the space anyways?

This duratran is a duplicate of the male anchor backdrop. Where is it in the building? Not a clue. I know they have had a set like this for mock newscasts at the Museum of Broadcast Communications. Hell, it might be the same one, just shipped back to 190N.

This duratran is a duplicate of the male anchor backdrop. Where is it in the building? Not a clue. I know they have had a set like this for mock newscasts at the Museum of Broadcast Communications. Hell, it might be the same one, just shipped back to 190N.

Gotcha, I thought that looked awfully familiar. We had a lighting problem at WXYZ that caused the main desk to be out of service for 3 and a half days in April. It actually ended up looking better. Luckily that set has a secondary anchor area so nobody had to relocate in the building. The street side studio is so small I don't think there would be room for a setup like that though at WLS. Part of me is hoping for an modern Eyewitness News themed set and not a lighting problem. I am guessing it's the latter though.

They're still on the temp this morning. If it's a tech or lighting issue, they'll probably be back in the SSS tonight or tomorrow morning. If it's a refresh, probably Monday. Bigger than that? I doubt anything's going that far, but it would definitely be awhile.

They're still on the temp this morning. If it's a tech or lighting issue, they'll probably be back in the SSS tonight or tomorrow morning. If it's a refresh, probably Monday. Bigger than that? I doubt anything's going that far, but it would definitely be awhile.

Depends on the problem (if there's one). You think they could get a refresh together that fast?

ABC News has done 2 refreshes to there set, both in 3 days.

They would probably stand to have a desk and duratran put in, I suppose if it's that minor plus some wallpaper it would take a weekend. They'd put the shades or whatever they use down one would think. But since it's new lighting, maybe it'll be lit better?

Well that sucks. Was hoping for at least a refresh.

They could easily make adjustments to the set if they wanted to. Will they remains to be seen however. Like I mentioned last night, they were pointing at/discussing the duratrans, so they could throw in some new ones and a new desk without much work I would believe.

I have a feeling a new desk would be very complicated to install, as there's very little wiggle room to move it out. However, that doesn't mean it could be dismantled/destroyed first, though trashing it would be stupid because it is in immaculate shape when I sat at it. Also, new lighting is a potentially vague way of describing what's being done. Like I said, the set, despite its age, is in great condition, and some adjusted lighting (and maybe updated duras) could really add 2-3 to its life expectancy.

Nothing new tonight. Still in the temporary abyss. One thing different today is the weather person (Troy in the morning and Jerry this evening) is in front of the chromakey during the show, instead of the weather office like last night. Whether it's in the temp studio or not, I don't know, but Troy joined Terrell and Stacey on set to close throughout this morning's news, whereas Jerry never appeared next to Ron and Kathy yesterday.

Nothing new this morning. Mike Caplan even made a little joke about the desktop screens looking like something put of the old game show 'Pyramid'. Also, Hosea and Judy mentioned that they're making some changes in the main studio, and they hope to be back there "soon", sounding to me like it might not even be tomorrow. Maybe they'll be back in the SSS at 4, but I'm beginning to think that lighting might not be the only modifications being made, even though Rob Feder is typically very reliable.

Looks like the repairs are done, and the 4 o'clock show will be back at the big kids' table. They only showed the one-shot on Linda Yu during the 3:30 tease, but things are definitely lit a little differently, though there doesn't appear to be any new set pieces.

Pics are forthcoming...