The Definitive ABC 7 Thread

24994J

Effective yesterday, Diane Pathieu has been promoted to full-time reporter, pretty much filling the void left when Terrell hit the desk in January. To take the part-time role is newcomer Jade Hernandez, whose career has taken her from Topeka (KTKA) to KC (KSHB), San Fran (KTVU), and most recently Atlanta (WSB).

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7167-abc-7-promotes-diane-pathieu-to-full-time-reporter-brings-on-jade-hernandez-as-part-time-reporter

Here's a clip of Hernandez from her time at KTVU... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUAVao4y-l0

Effective yesterday, Diane Pathieu has been promoted to full-time reporter, pretty much filling the void left when Terrell hit the desk in January. To take the part-time role is newcomer Jade Hernandez, whose career has taken her from Topeka (KTKA) to KC (KSHB), San Fran (KTVU), and most recently Atlanta (WSB).

http://chicagoradioandmedia.com/news/7167-abc-7-promotes-diane-pathieu-to-full-time-reporter-brings-on-jade-hernandez-as-part-time-reporter

Here's a clip of Hernandez from her time at KTVU... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUAVao4y-l0

Good for Diane, she is a decent reporter. Where was Terrell normally seen before he moved up to mornings? I never saw much of him when I watched on the occasional evening.

Hernandez, at least from the clip looks like she'll be decent. I think the most interesting thing she's bringing is the noticeable accent from Kansas.

Terrell worked mornings. In the final months before the promotion, he was frequently in the newsroom or the studio doing reports, almost in a Cheryl Burton kind of role.

Gotcha, so I'm assuming Diane will go to weekday mornings then and Jade will do those weekend mornings and whatever else they have for her?

Any weekday morning consists of Tanja, Jessica, and/or Diane in the field, with the latter being Roz's back-up, though she has also appears any day at any time. That was likely the basis of her part-time arrangement. I think Jade on weekend mornings is a lock, but don't be surprised to she her anywhere on the schedule.

I'm going to leave this here without any context just to freak you all out. :D

autoshowspecial_zps90e1cb1f.png

I'm gonna ask for context :D

My guess is that it's from a poster or promo showing the front line weather and sports teams... This actually makes sense in that context considering Mark, Jim and Jerry are definitely top guys and Cheryl has been inserted in that role. I imagine a year ago Mike and Jerry would be in such a promotional piece.

NBC 5's coverage was typically 6-7 people (full weather staff plus traffic and entertainment reporters), with each taking maybe one segment. That seemed like too many to me. WGN, on the other hand, uses the host of 'Motorweek' alongside someone from the station (Val Warner and later Frank Holland), with maybe 2 or 3 others on the showroom floor. So much of these specials are pre-taped, that 4 hosts SHOULD suffice.

NBC 5's coverage was typically 6-7 people (full weather staff plus traffic and entertainment reporters), with each taking maybe one segment. That seemed like too many to me. WGN, on the other hand, uses the host of 'Motorweek' alongside someone from the station (Val Warner and later Frank Holland), with maybe 2 or 3 others on the showroom floor. So much of these specials are pre-taped, that 4 hosts SHOULD suffice.

I was thinking some news anchors would be down there hosting it... not weather and sports people. Obviously it's not a huge event.

I was thinking some news anchors would be down there hosting it... not weather and sports people. Obviously it's not a huge event.

Well, Cheryl has the experience from doing it at channel 5, JR and Jerry are noted techies, and Giangreco is a gearhead, so the line-up assembled sure makes sense.

On another topic, I cannot remember the last time ABC 7 put out a one-time promo to air during a special event. According to Tracy Butler, this spot for the morning show will air on Oscar night. It is no surprise, though, that they're pumping in more funds to promote the "new" team.

10869811_852568188124554_4780664696296059562_o.jpg

Well, Cheryl has the experience from doing it at channel 5, JR and Jerry are noted techies, and Giangreco is a gearhead, so the line-up assembled sure makes sense.

On another topic, I cannot remember the last time ABC 7 put out a one-time promo to air during a special event. According to Tracy Butler, this spot for the morning show will air on Oscar night. It is no surprise, though, that they're pumping in more funds to promote the "new" team.

10869811_852568188124554_4780664696296059562_o.jpg

Are they sending the subliminal message "we're the best!!"? It is a nice looking shot , I just don't see much of the point in getting them that dressed up. I suppose it fits with the oscar theme though.

Them anchoring the 10pm Sunday show as well would be more appropriate to the visuals there I would think.

WABC is also shooting promos for the Oscars today.

Are they sending the subliminal message "we're the best!!"? It is a nice looking shot , I just don't see much of the point in getting them that dressed up. I suppose it fits with the oscar theme though.

Them anchoring the 10pm Sunday show as well would be more appropriate to the visuals there I would think.

They are clearly going with the Oscar theme. It's the morning show, they are gonna have some fun, even in the promos.

WABC is also shooting promos for the Oscars today.

They are clearly going with the Oscar theme. It's the morning show, they are gonna have some fun, even in the promos.

I think a theme with an Oscar watch party might be more fun since it's a party after all and it might feel more morning-ish. The one thing about 7 I can say is that whether I agree with the strategy or not:

A) It almost always works

B) The production is always excellent

I think a theme with an Oscar watch party might be more fun since it's a party after all and it might feel more morning-ish. The one thing about 7 I can say is that whether I agree with the strategy or not:

A) It almost always works

:cool: The production is always excellent

So true.

WABC's promo seems to be the morning team speaking with the NYC skyline behind them. I always like it when WABC goes out and has the anchors out there.

Kudos to the station for taking care of the issue quickly and doing their best to level the playing field prior to the debate.

Other bosses in local and national news should act like this more often.