May Sweeps 2013: The Numbers

24994J

Wow. I never even thought about Uni. and Telemundo in Miami and it makes sense because of the high Hispanics population. Similar to Houston where our Univision station is giving market king KTRK a run for its money.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/31/4077739/newsmen-returned-to-limelight.html

Here is Charlotte Sweeps for May, No real surprises at the top WSOC, WBTV, WCNC as usual. Interesting to see WMYT's 10pm (produced by WBTV) gain 60%. It'll be really interesting to see what happens to WCCB after the affiliation switch (Can't see them staying #1 at 10 for long after), but their latest morning numbers have got to hurt (8,000 viewers, down about 25%, about 1/10th of the viewers that WSOC has at that time).

Atlanta: https://atlanta.daybooknetwork.com/media/story/47/47533/documents/WSB-TV%20May%202013%20%20Ratings%20Report%20Final-2.pdf*

I'm not at all surprised that WSB won absolutely everything. What is interesting is how ABC dominates the 25-54 demographic in Atlanta; WSB has always been number one here. Coincidence?

* The report is essentially a WSB advertisement with ratings data; the information shown is only for the 25-54 demographic.

And with Atlanta appearing to be my new home this fall, let's be realistic for a moment:

Not everyone loves WSB with their 62% share of the news audience, even after Monica Pearson retired last summer. WAGA on the other hand has been a solid #2 (with Fox the #2 network despite once-powerhouse American Idol's continuing slippage), and it could be my go-to place for news there. And even though 6:30 belongs to Brian Williams on WXIA, I'll still remain loyal to Scott Pelley over on WGCL. If I wanted to watch an hour of local news at 6:00, it'll have to be on KTUU...at 10:00 pm Eastern online!

Meanwhile...Leno's and Fallon's numbers have increased on WXIA as we near the transition (speaking of which, The Voice has helped them draw even to WGCL in primetime). Diane Sawyer may be dominant at 7:00, but she (and her newscast) annoys the hell out of me.

By the way...why couldn't WSB make their News app a universal one for both iPhone and iPad (like KTUU's) instead of making them separate?

And with Atlanta appearing to be my new home this fall' date=' let's be realistic for a moment:[/i']

Not everyone loves WSB with their 62% share of the news audience, even after Monica Pearson retired last summer. WAGA on the other hand has been a solid #2 (with Fox the #2 network despite once-powerhouse American Idol's continuing slippage), and it could be my go-to place for news there. And even though 6:30 belongs to Brian Williams on WXIA, I'll still remain loyal to Scott Pelley over on WGCL. If I wanted to watch an hour of local news at 6:00, it'll have to be on KTUU...at 10:00 pm Eastern online!

Meanwhile...Leno's and Fallon's numbers have increased on WXIA as we near the transition (speaking of which, The Voice has helped them draw even to WGCL in primetime). Diane Sawyer may be dominant at 7:00, but she (and her newscast) annoys the hell out of me.

By the way...why couldn't WSB make their News app a universal one for both iPhone and iPad (like KTUU's) instead of making them separate?

I agree; WSB, for a first-place news station, honestly puts out an awful news product. It's not WGCL in any way (thank goodness,) but WSB has a news product that relies excessively on crime-filled sensationalist stories; 90% of the time WSB reports about a rape, murder, hit and run, drug bust, apartment fire, deadly car crash and so on (rinse and repeat at 4:30, 5, 5:30 and 6). Is Atlanta all peaches and cream? No, but the way WSB reports, I would actually be kind of scared to walk out my front door. At 7pm, it truly doesn't get better, it actually gets much worse with ABC World "News"; ABC News hasn't been the same in any way, shape, or form since Peter Jennings died in 2005. :(

In terms of local content WGCL puts out absolute crap; at WGCL there is little stability in its presentation and talent, there's no sports department or noon newscast, and its "news" content makes me want to puke. Fortunately, after the horror show that is CBS Atlanta News at 6, when 6:30 comes around, it's always the CBS Evening News. Jeff Fager and Scott Pelley have done an excellent job making CBS News a pretty objective bastion of journalism compared to what it was under Couric. It's so sad how such a contrast can exist at Atlanta's CBS affiliate between local and national newscasts.

I honestly can't say much about WXIA's local news content, while I believe it's a little better than it was after the peak of Gannettization, it is still largely a shell of what it was pre-2008. WXIA's newscasts mainly focus on more soft news stories compared to WAGA and WSB, but it's not necessarily fluff.

While WKTB (Telemundo) and WUVG (Univision) put out weekly news products, I can't judge them because they are Spanish stations. WPBA and WGTV (PBS stations) do not produce local newscasts.

Finally, there's WAGA. In my opinion, WAGA has the best local news operation in Atlanta. Although it is a Fox O&O, it largely retains the style of journalism that defined the station in the CBS days. The news product is very good, the operation is very stable, the newscasts strike a great balance between soft news and hard news, and although it may be owned and operated by Fox, the lack of any network news content on Fox stations helps set WAGA apart from Fox News, which IMO is a very good thing.

WAGA, personally, is your best bet for local news. Best wishes on your move to Atlanta this fall! :)

Numbers are sort of out for Miami. WSCV (Telemundo 51) like always are promoting it hard that they once again are #1 in the market regardless of language. The rest is unclear since no one has posted numbers anywhere. Although last sweeps WLTV Univision 23 took the #1 spot, so it's almost always a chase between the two for the spot. At times there has been a wider gap filled by WSVN. For primetime in the past few months WJAN/WFUN AmericaTeve has dominated WSCV, but not WLTV, but that has probably changed by now after WFUN losing a host.

My own speculation as to how ratings are holding up now marketwide:

WSCV - confirmed

WSVN (Relatively stable)

WLTV

WTVJ (Likely has gained some more, great sweep stories)

WPLG (Perhaps gaining mornings now after Julie Durda came from WSVN)

WFOR (They had decent sweep stories, who knows)

WFUN/WJAN

WSFL

WBFS

WGEN (MundoFox) WSBS (Mostly available only through cable) - Possibly tied.

Sources:

http://www.mediamoves.com/2013/03/haza-sues-america-teve.html - Article on WJAN

- WSCV #1 Promo

I agree; WSB' date=' for a [b']first-place news station[/b], honestly puts out an awful news product. It's not WGCL in any way (thank goodness,) but WSB has a news product that relies excessively on crime-filled sensationalist stories; 90% of the time WSB reports about a rape, murder, hit and run, drug bust, apartment fire, deadly car crash and so on (rinse and repeat at 4:30, 5, 5:30 and 6). Is Atlanta all peaches and cream? No, but the way WSB reports, I would actually be kind of scared to walk out my front door. At 7pm, it truly doesn't get better, it actually gets much worse with ABC World "News"; ABC News hasn't been the same in any way, shape, or form since Peter Jennings died in 2005. :(

In terms of local content WGCL puts out absolute crap; at WGCL there is little stability in its presentation and talent, there's no sports department or noon newscast, and its "news" content makes me want to puke. Fortunately, after the horror show that is CBS Atlanta News at 6, when 6:30 comes around, it's always the CBS Evening News. Jeff Fager and Scott Pelley have done an excellent job making CBS News a pretty objective bastion of journalism compared to what it was under Couric. It's so sad how such a contrast can exist at Atlanta's CBS affiliate between local and national newscasts.

I honestly can't say much about WXIA's local news content, while I believe it's a little better than it was after the peak of Gannettization, it is still largely a shell of what it was pre-2008. WXIA's newscasts mainly focus on more soft news stories compared to WAGA and WSB, but it's not necessarily fluff.

Finally, there's WAGA. In my opinion, WAGA has the best local news operation in Atlanta. Although it is a Fox O&O, it largely retains the style of journalism that defined the station in the CBS days. The news product is very good, the operation is very stable, the newscasts strike a great balance between soft news and hard news, and although it may be owned and operated by Fox, the lack of any network news content on Fox stations helps set WAGA apart from Fox News, which IMO is a very good thing.

WAGA, personally, is your best bet for local news. Best wishes on your move to Atlanta this fall! :)

Thanks, though a curveball could be thrown and I may settle in in Washington State (i.e., Seattle) instead, where my brother resides now. But hey...I can fly from Atlanta to Seattle on Alaska Airlines and back to Atlanta on Delta as I have miles on both.

Another is that being that we'll be on the Eastern Time Zone, I won't have to deal with any "Recorded Earlier" disclaimers when it comes to live shows unlike the West Coast. Plus, I can be closer to my own family in North Carolina, and unlike Alaska, the weather is nice all year round. I mean, after a total of 25 years here, I've had it with plunging below zero temperatures and unexpected snow in late April/early May though in Georgia...it does snow, too.

Also, I feel there are more job opportunities in Atlanta rather than Seattle as far as the restaurant/foodservice industry is concerned. After so many years as a dishwasher, I can finally graduate myself to a cook position (which could translate to $1,000 checks).

And finally...there is a major film and television production boom in Atlanta with Vampire Diaries, Walking Dead, Family Feud, and anything Tyler Perry all being filmed there (so is Anchorman 2, which'll be out in December). 20 or so years ago, it used to be Orlando with studio lots being added to Disney World and Universal. But those days were about to be numbered when Atlanta was being eyed as the new Hollywood South thanks to tax credits. Seattle on the other hand, is in close proximity to Vancouver, where there's hardly any activity now as opposed to the '80s to 2000's.

Those reasons (and more) are why I'm about to change area codes from 907 to 404...or maybe 206.

I found this tidbit to be real interesting:

• KEYE has the city’s most-watched primetime lineup, followed by KVUE, KXAN and then KTBC.

What this is telling me is that even having the strong primetime lineup of CBS won't keep viewers from turning to KVUE and KXAN instead. Which means that KEYE is losing out on a big opportunity to be #1 in the market.

I agree; WSB' date=' for a [b']first-place news station[/b], honestly puts out an awful news product. It's not WGCL in any way (thank goodness,) but WSB has a news product that relies excessively on crime-filled sensationalist stories; 90% of the time WSB reports about a rape, murder, hit and run, drug bust, apartment fire, deadly car crash and so on (rinse and repeat at 4:30, 5, 5:30 and 6). Is Atlanta all peaches and cream? No, but the way WSB reports, I would actually be kind of scared to walk out my front door. At 7pm, it truly doesn't get better, it actually gets much worse with ABC World "News"; ABC News hasn't been the same in any way, shape, or form since Peter Jennings died in 2005. :(

While WKTB (Telemundo) and WUVG (Univision) put out weekly news products, I can't judge them because they are Spanish stations. WPBA and WGTV (PBS stations) do not produce local newscasts.

A very nice summary of the market. Here are a few things I've noticed as well as an outside who has been to Atlanta time to time.

Regarding WSB being heavy with the crime stories, every market has a TV station like this and they also tend to be the station that performs best in the ratings. KMOV is the one here in St. Louis that tends to get sensationalistic and the combination of that as well as a strong CBS lineup results in them running neck-and-neck with KSDK for #1 in the market.

I'm honestly stumped on what WGCL can do but it definitely has an identity crisis that makes it difficult for viewers to become familiar with the station. But I agree, that station goes overboard with the fluff. Which is pretty surprising because their sister stations in Kansas City and Phoenix actually perform pretty well in their respective markets.

I've watched WAGA and even though I'm reluctant to watch Fox News (cable) as well as some of their affiliates in Chicago, Orlando, and Philly which toy with different concepts that make it difficult for me to watch, I will agree that WAGA puts on a quality product and still tries to practice the same style of journalism they practiced during their pre-Fox days. KTVI is good with this as well.

And finally, I used to watch ABC News and I have nothing against Diane Sawyer and I think she's a great journalist, but ever since she became anchor, ABC did the same thing that CBS did under Couric and made everything so fluffy for some reason. I've actually started watching CBS again as a result because I do agree that Scott Pelley brought that 60 Minutes style of journalism to CBS Evening News.

A very nice summary of the market. Here are a few things I've noticed as well as an outside who has been to Atlanta time to time.

Regarding WSB being heavy with the crime stories, every market has a TV station like this and they also tend to be the station that performs best in the ratings. KMOV is the one here in St. Louis that tends to get sensationalistic and the combination of that as well as a strong CBS lineup results in them running neck-and-neck with KSDK for #1 in the market.

I'm honestly stumped on what WGCL can do but it definitely has an identity crisis that makes it difficult for viewers to become familiar with the station. But I agree, that station goes overboard with the fluff. Which is pretty surprising because their sister stations in Kansas City and Phoenix actually perform pretty well in their respective markets.

I've watched WAGA and even though I'm reluctant to watch Fox News (cable) as well as some of their affiliates in Chicago, Orlando, and Philly which toy with different concepts that make it difficult for me to watch, I will agree that WAGA puts on a quality product and still tries to practice the same style of journalism they practiced during their pre-Fox days. KTVI is good with this as well.

And finally, I used to watch ABC News and I have nothing against Diane Sawyer and I think she's a great journalist, but ever since she became anchor, ABC did the same thing that CBS did under Couric and made everything so fluffy for some reason. I've actually started watching CBS again as a result because I do agree that Scott Pelley brought that 60 Minutes style of journalism to CBS Evening News.

The dominant ratings likely come from continuity of talent (How long was Monica Pearson at WSB? 40 years. Glenn Burns? 31 years. Chuck Dowdle? 25+ years...) and WSB's roots in a newspaper (The Atlanta Journal-Constitution). Plus, I'll admit, by appealing to the emotions of people (sensationalism) with dramatic stories, the ratings and money roll in. Does it take a toll on journalistic integrity? Yes. Does it bring in ratings? Absolutely. With advertisers and today's competitive commercial television market, the latter will always trump the former (CBS being a recent exception).

Maybe I jumped the gun on WSB a bit. I still think my summary of WSB definitely holds true for evening, late night, and weekday morning newscasts; I will admit though that WSB can lighten up a little bit on weekend mornings and at noon. IMO those are the best times to watch WSB.

I don't know what Meredith thinks it's doing with WGCL; Tribune, despite it's current problems, managed the station a lot better. I'm just waiting for them to rebrand as "CBS 46 News" again (then reshuffle the anchor lineup....then rebrand again...rinse and repeat every 3-5 years). I think CBS will probably have to consider finding a new affiliate if this keeps up; they can't possibly be happy about WGCL's performance.

Since its being discussed somewhat in this thread I want to raise this question... How in the hell is Diane Sawyer's 30 minutes of lifestyle reporting rating higher than CBS Evening News w/ Scott Pelley??? Charles Gibson was a great replacement for Peter but Diane is just terrible. Don't get me wrong she's an incredible journalist and brings some amazing stories but her delivery is the absolute worst! After the first commercial break the show becomes very Inside Edition like. Pelley on the other hand is amazing, his broadcast is always packed with news and actual news not silly crap. Under Gibson ABC gave NBC some nightly competition and even rated #1 for a while. Diane has not been competitive what so ever. George is the likely replacement but he's an important key to GMA's success so I doubt they want him to move. ABC find a way to make a change!

Since its being discussed somewhat in this thread I want to raise this question... How in the hell is Diane Sawyer's 30 minutes of lifestyle reporting rating higher than CBS Evening News w/ Scott Pelley??? Charles Gibson was a great replacement for Peter but Diane is just terrible. Don't get me wrong she's an incredible journalist and brings some amazing stories but her delivery is the absolute worst! After the first commercial break the show becomes very Inside Edition like. Pelley on the other hand is amazing, his broadcast is always packed with news and actual news not silly crap. Under Gibson ABC gave NBC some nightly competition and even rated #1 for a while. Diane has not been competitive what so ever. George is the likely replacement but he's an important key to GMA's success so I doubt they want him to move. ABC find a way to make a change!

As far as I know, World News (Tonight) is in George's contract, has been since before Charlie retired. However, if it's not George, then it's David Muir. I for one really like Muir. His delivery reminds of a younger, smoother BriWi with a little Jennings, too. Unfortunately, if he succeeded Diane, the show and its content would not change. However, I can't see this format working under Steph, but moving back to a more traditional, Gibson/Williams-style program (which is better than what they're putting out now).

People like sensationalism and fluff. Which explains how CBS This Mornings performs so badly compared to GMA and Today.

It's not just Diane, it's ABC News as a whole. It's taken more of a sensationalistic approach to the news compared to CBS and NBC than it has in years past and you summed it up quite well ABC World News is basically becoming a network version of Insider Edition, I used to watch ABC News quite often but since it got more sensationalistic, I've turned to CBS instead.

You could put in a request on the Chicago Radio & Media page. I don't tend to trust it on big scoops, but that's where I go for ratings. I'm sure he could find some info for you.

I decided to put a request at the site. This is the reply I got:

Hello Pavel:

I'm afraid I do not have those numbers for the May sweeps. I know that Univision did fantastic with the 18-49 demo, but I don't have the exact figures. Sorry.

What I will say about World News is that, its working. I'll quote the press release from May 2013 Sweeps, “ABC World News” Drawing its Most-Watched Season in 2 Years." World News is growing when NBC and CBS are mixed or down. If it was plain news like NBC or CBS, I probably would not watch it. To quote what many of my friends say, that kind of news is just boring and depressing. I wouldn't consider what ABC does fluff, I would consider it helpful news, i.e. "Real Money." You get the day's news for the first 12-13 minutes and then you get the interesting and helpful news for the rest. I think it is a good balance. I think the fact that we are on a news forum and many of you want hard news, I'm probably minority on the site, but hey, its working, why should they stop.

As far as I know, World News is in George's contract, has been since before Charlie retired. However, if it's not George, then it's David Muir. I for one really like Muir. His delivery reminds of a younger, smoother BriWi with a little Jennings, too. However, I can't see this format working under Steph, but moving back to a more traditional, Gibson/Williams-style program (which is better than what they're putting out now).

You bring up interesting points, especially whether ABC would want/let George leave GMA for World News with GMA currently wiping out the competition.

I think it is very likely if George takes over World News, it will go back to a Gibson like newscast. I also agree that if it isn't George it will be David Muir. If Diane had to leave (I hope she doesn't anytime soon), I would like to see David over George for two reasons, George is doing great at GMA and David will likely keep the Sawyer like newscast.

Wow, KTLA managed to top Good Day LA?

Wasn't that the #1 morning program in the market for a while?

I they've gone back and forth quite since their debuts in the 90s. For a while GDLA was more popular but as of the last few years I believe KTLA Morning News has topped GDLA.

Archived