KNBC New Facilities: First Peek?

Weeters

Don't remember this ever being posted before... Poking around the internet this evening I found this:

http://www.mattconstruction.com/project-detail/performing-arts-theatres/nbc-stage-1-lmnnr

gQyFTEpl.jpg 5oSTPnnl.jpg

NBC Universal used MATT Construction in the renovation of approximately 70,000 sq. ft., comprising a five-story Technical and Production Office Building and a Production Sound Stage / Studio. The Studio includes a new second floor inside the stage for the specific News Production needs of Local Media and Network News.

The Stage 1 Production Facility contains a two-story Newsroom, located in the existing Sound Stage. A new concrete and steel 2nd floor atrium will be constructed within the volume of the Sound Stage. The intent is to create a recognizable backdrop for news production for both Local Media and Network News. The Production Facility will incorporate studios, flashcam positions, production / audio control rooms, edit rooms, broadcast equipment room(s), private offices, open office areas and amenities such as conference rooms, pantries and storage rooms within Stage 1 and the adjacent production building.

The description of the building matches the description from the company's work on the "LIVE SHOW" that previously occupied the stage...

Ready... Set... Speculate!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh WOW! That main set certainly does look interesting (maybe even better than WNBC), but I'm not too huge a fan of the desk. If the set is supposed to serve a dual puprose of not only KNBC, but NBC News LA too, then just take off that "NBC News" plaque that's on the desk, center the TV, and put peacocks on either side of it. Hell an overall better design for it would just be nice too.

Though I also sort of wish what appears to be the immediate backdrop behind them was more centered. Also, it's 2 thousand freaking 13, WHY are we still doing plain walls with projected light images on them? Surely you could find something more interesting and better to put on it.

Aside from my nagging, it really does (sort of) look great and I can't wait to see it

I believe those plans were abandoned. As you correctly figured the plans and conceptual drawings are for a retrofit of Studio 1 at Universal Studios. The plan in late 2010 was to move KNBC and the NBC News LA Bureau to the old Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien studios. This 2010 article from the LA Times makes mention of the plans in the third to last paragraph. The ownership change around that time caused some indecision resulting in the plans being put on hold, and eventually shelved. As of last October Studio 1 at Universal Sudios now houses 'Chelsea Lately'.

However, KNBC, KVEA and the LA Bureaus for NBC News and Telemundo will still relocate to the Universal Studios lot. It will just be down the street in the old Techincolor building. They are tentatively scheduled to move from Burbank to the new digs at the end of the year. Here are some pics of the construction from last summer. Pictures #3-7 show the shell of the two story building being worked on.

Not sure if these plans will be (or can be) adapted to fit the new space. I've been unable to find any plans or conceptual drawings for what the old Technicolor building will look like inside or out when completed.

It's a modern and warm design, but haven't newsroom sets kind of fallen by the wayside? By the end of studio 7E in Rock Center, WNBC had put up frosted glass between the set and the newsroom. In Denver, KDVR removed it's true newsroom set and went back into the studio (though the KWGN set is technically in the news room, they've created three walls that face away from the newsroom). I don't know how many newsroom sets have been eliminated over the years in a return to traditional studio reporting!

I know they were originally used to create a natural backdrop of hardworking reporters, assignment editors, producers, etc getting ready for the news; create an aura of importance. These days however, with Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets, we all know that our news teams are working hard! So the advantages of a newsroom set have been negated. However, one advantage remains: Duratrans are boring. They don't move. A newsroom set still creates an level of activity not seen in a closed off studio.

While WNBC's and WTVJ's approach is interesting (create a high quality progressive duratran via rooftop footage), it doesn't nearly create the depth of field we have with a newsroom set. So how do we remedy this? How do stations create a closed studio with an interesting level of activity and a newsroom-type depth of field while not actually using the newsroom?

I'm not going to give you an answer because I have none. My only thought is that as the quality of televisions improve (4k and 8K on their way with a 48fps), this idea is going to become critically more important but easier to do because of these things as well.

I believe that sets are going toward the CBS This Morning look because CNN new morning show is giving that direction and Today is going for a different feel as well which will produce itself in the near future. As for local news I kinda get the feel with this set KNBC has. I like the set but do hope they change the design of the desk and add a few more monitors around the anchors for symmetry.

I believe that sets are going toward the CBS This Morning look because CNN new morning show is giving that direction and Today is going for a different feel as well which will produce itself in the near future. As for local news I kinda get the feel with this set KNBC has. I like the set but do hope they change the design of the desk and add a few more monitors around the anchors for symmetry.

I agree. I foresee many of them now combining the "homey" feeling, as well as the "control room/newsroom" feeling along with it. It looks nice, and, let's actually face it, is somewhat different compared to what we've been seeing now for years.

It's a modern and warm design, but haven't newsroom sets kind of fallen by the wayside? By the end of studio 7E in Rock Center, WNBC had put up frosted glass between the set and the newsroom. In Denver, KDVR removed it's true newsroom set and went back into the studio (though the KWGN set is technically in the news room, they've created three walls that face away from the newsroom). I don't know how many newsroom sets have been eliminated over the years in a return to traditional studio reporting!

I know they were originally used to create a natural backdrop of hardworking reporters, assignment editors, producers, etc getting ready for the news; create an aura of importance. These days however, with Facebook, Twitter and other social media outlets, we all know that our news teams are working hard! So the advantages of a newsroom set have been negated. However, one advantage remains: Duratrans are boring. They don't move. A newsroom set still creates an level of activity not seen in a closed off studio.

While WNBC's and WTVJ's approach is interesting (create a high quality progressive duratran via rooftop footage), it doesn't nearly create the depth of field we have with a newsroom set. So how do we remedy this? How do stations create a closed studio with an interesting level of activity and a newsroom-type depth of field while not actually using the newsroom?

I'm not going to give you an answer because I have none. My only thought is that as the quality of televisions improve (4k and 8K on their way with a 48fps), this idea is going to become critically more important but easier to do because of these things as well.

I totally agree with you, but at the same time, I find myself looking at newsroom sets and thinking "wwooowww...this just gives the station a very old and dated look" and I really don't know why. It just...does...in my opinion, unless of course, it's done properly. I think I find it boring when you look back there and the newsroom essentially looks empty or inactive because there either A) really aren't very many people back there or B) they're most all sitting down at their computers. This is why I personally find control room-like backgrounds far more interesting.

Plus, let's also face this too, a news set that looks as if it's being run out of an underground facility like in the movie "Skyfall" is sort of kickass awesome! But alas, it's still a matter of taste. Now if stations changed out the duratrans more often (meaning updated), then that would be one thing. But the stations who keep the same ones for years at a time, or (even worse) the stations whose ENTIRE SET is a duratran (more or less) look absolutely HORRENDOUS, CHEAP, AND DAMN BORING TOO to me. They never. ever. change. At least have the main anchor backdrop be changeable.

• 2 months later...

I believe those plans were abandoned.

For good reason; it looks terrible, the arches contrast with the stern nature of NBC News, the curves look out of place and everything just looks ridiciolous. I think the current set they have looks better than this dreck.

the link at the top of the thread says it was the home of the tonight show with conan obrien. I think that studio space was taken over by chelsea lately.

Yes, the plans posted were for a retrofit of Studio 1 at Universal Studios. And, yes as previously mentioned in this thread that space is currently occupied by Chelsea Lately.

Quick Timeline/ History Lesson:

October 2007: NBCUniversal announces they will be leaving Burbank part of the ongoing effort to consolidate operations in Universal City.

October 2007: Shortly thereafter the plans were announced for the new building "Metro Studio @ Lankershim". This was to be across the street from Universal Studios over the Red Line station. It would have also housed Access Hollywood in inclusion to KNBC/KVEA and the west coast bureaus of NBC News and Telemundo.

Sometime in 2008: NBC sells Burbank Studios/Property to Worthe Real Estate Group. They lease back various studios while the move to Universal City continues.

Late 2008: Questions start to arise about the size and scope of the "Metro Studio @ Lankershim" project. The legal issues and questions would continue to drag on for years.

June 2009: The Tonight Show moves to Stage 1 at Universal Studios.

January 2010: After spending 50 Million Dollars to outfit the soundstage for Conan O'Brien's arrival Stage 1 at Universal Studios now sits empty after Conan O'Brien's exit.

September 2010: After 3 years and no movement on the "Metro Studio @ Lankershim" project. NBC announces KNBC/ NBC News' west coast bureau will move to Stage 1 at Universal Studios.*

January 2011: Comcast acquires 51% and controlling interest in NBCUniversal ushering in new management teams.

December 2011: After years of delays NBCUniversal pulls the plug on the "Metro Studio @ Lankershim" project.

January 2012: NBCUniversal announces the "Universal City Broadcast Center" to be housed in the old Techniclor building on the Universal Studios lot. The facilities will house KNBC, KVEA and the west coast bureaus for NBC News and Telemundo.

Summer/Fall 2012: Plans are finalized and construction begins on the old Technicolor building for the new "Universal City Broadcast Center".

October 2012: No longer needing to house KNBC/ NBC News' west coast bureau Studio 1 at Universal Studios is taken over by Chelsea Latley.

Late 2013: Expected completion of the "Universal City Broadcast Center".

* The concept plans for this project are what was posted by Weeters in the first post.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Former Member 207

It's smaller than what was I thinking. My fiance and I were at Universal Studios a few weekends ago, and I was on the lookout to see where the NBC LA building was going to be.

The exterior actually kinda reminds me of these 60s/70s era office buildings I often see on Wilshire Boulevard.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't going to start a new thread, and no other one seemed relevant, so screw it...I'm putting this here. I don't know how long ago (I avoid the LA news stations like the plague), but KNBC has reformatted Look F. I'm guessing that they are letterboxing all news programming, because the bug is now way out of the safe zone and the indentation of the L3 text is almost out of the 4x3 window. I think they're the first of the NBC stations to do this, and I must say it looks pretty good.

knbc1_zpsc12d241c.jpgknbc2_zpsfd76c29e.jpg

• 2 months later...

Ever since they removed all the LCD monitors behind that anchor desk a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with that ugly (my opinion) blue skyline back drop, the set looks terrible. I also haven't seen that huge LCD touchscreen monitor either in a long time. I'm making a wild guess that they removed them all to put in there new studio in Universal City. So hopefully that is a sign that the move is soon.

Ever since they removed all the LCD monitors behind that anchor desk a couple of weeks ago and replaced it with that ugly (my opinion) blue skyline back drop, the set looks terrible. I also haven't seen that huge LCD touchscreen monitor either in a long time. I'm making a wild guess that they removed them all to put in there new studio in Universal City. So hopefully that is a sign that the move is soon.

I just saw video on their website of the background and yikes. It looks really bad. It's basically a zoomed in picture of buildings in i'm guessing Downtown L.A.? They could have done better.

I really wish they'd kept the LCD monitors.....they were built there into the set for a specific purpose ( at least what I think it is): To MODERNIZE it!! That was the aim of the refresh, wasn't it? IMHO, they fit much better in that area behind the anchors the way the set was finished off there.

In other news, i think I may still have a friend of mine who works at NBC's network ops ( he's in the technical department, too, so that's a plus), so I think I want to try to touch base with him to see if I can ascertain what really is going on with respect to NBC's LA area ops.

I really wish they'd kept the LCD monitors.....they were built there into the set for a specific purpose ( at least what I think it is): To MODERNIZE it!! That was the aim of the refresh, wasn't it? IMHO, they fit much better in that area behind the anchors the way the set was finished off there.

In other news, i think I may still have a friend of mine who works at NBC's network ops ( he's in the technical department, too, so that's a plus), so I think I want to try to touch base with him to see if I can ascertain what really is going on with respect to NBC's LA area ops.

According to this article: http://www.mediabistro.com/tvspy/knbc-debuts-new-logo-name-in-rebranding-effort_b36781

KNBC spent more than $150,000 on those LCD screens, so that's probably why they removed them to presumably use them in their new building.

• 1 month later...

Looking back on NBC in Burbank (Conan Nolan report) http://www.nbclosangeles.com/on-air/as-seen-on/NBC4-Looks-Back-at-Burbank-Era_Los-Angeles-242690541.html

NBC4 Moves Station to Universal City (Conan Nolan report) http://www.nbclosangeles.com/video/#!/on-air/as-seen-on/NBC4-Moves-Station-to-Universal-City/242512011

These are both lookbacks on the NBC Burbank studios.

Archived