ABC 7 Cancels 11am News for WCL

ChicagosNewsChannel

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Having both met and briefly worked with Ms. Perez, I can attest that the idea of her 'going off' seems very highly unlikely. That said, I'm sure she, like anyone in her position, was upset and probably asked that last Thursday be her last day. I think WLS could have handled things a bit more gracefully, in addition, I think they underestimated the negative feedback/reaction all of this has brought about.

Anytime that an anchor leaves without a proper send off its almost like natural instinct for the public to believe that they were mistreated. As stated before the decision to not have a proper goodbye could have totally been Sylvia's. None the less ABC 7 has had one of the most stable news teams I've ever seen. Sad to see someone as incredible as Sylvia go! The whole entire ABC 7 News team is incredible, but the true weak link should have been the first one to go if this was for budgetary reasons and that to me would be Ms. Cheryl Burton!

Once I posted the news to Facebook, that's exactly what my Mom said too. Not many people like her, I don't really think she's anything special, but one thing I can't STAND is when she makes comments about the stories. Her segues are always so feeble, they just make you want to say "Oh shut up, Cheryl." (You can see that expression on her co-workers faces too [Especially Jerry's]). It's almost like she tries too hard. But they won't let her go, and I honestly think it's because she's the station leading African American anchor, and they have a social obligation to show that diversity in their newscasts.

As far as Sylvia goes, I think WLS could've at least asked her to stay on as a reporter/fill-in anchor like Ben Bradly, then had her replace Linda once she retires, but then who knows, that may have been offered to her.

I am sorry to see Sylvia go, I hope she gets picked up by another station in town (hopefully 'BBM, I'd rather watch them over WMAQ).

• 1 month later...

I guess this starts the 4-week warning now. The station started plugging Live's return*/WCL move in short promos today. September 2nd will be the day. So August 30 will the final 11am newscast. So again, WLS will be from the only O&O to not air Live!, to being the only O&O without a midday newscast.

*This will be WLS's third time in its history that they have aired Live, this will be the first time the station will air it at the shows recommended timeslot at 9am.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what to make of this. I'm curious, for sure, but I'm wondering if the real motive to have someone to do fill-in work on the weekends. It's amazing (and I know it is vacation season), but since Sylvia left, there's been a lot of toying with anchor pairings and fill-in spots. Just last week (or the week before, whatever) Stacey Baca anchored the 5 o'clock news with Ron even though Linda and Kathy were on those two nights. Karen Jordan's been getting a lot of air time, Judy and Hosea have been off A LOT, there has been very little in terms of female duos, outside of the rotating chair at 11. I kind of like seeing some variation, the strategy of it reminds me a lot of WABC for some reason, where they aren't afraid to switch things up while anchors are out. With WLS, the substitutions used to be very predictable, but without a versatile utility player like Sylvia, there's room to play a little.

Back to the job posting, they might be considering ditching the solo-anchor formats for the weekend shows with the expanding Saturday morning block and Bradley, Baca, Baichwal and Jordan seemingly making more weekday desk appearances. Or they just want someone who can hop on the desk on a moment's notice in case of emergency. Compared to the other 4 stations in town, WLS has a clear divide between anchors and reporters, you (bad analogy warning) rarely see any of the outfielders playing at the bases.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the personnel roles have been determined for the revamped WCL and online newscast. Linda Yu and Tracy Butler will provide a 3-4 minute news update during WCL, while Alan Krashesky and Mike Caplan will front the noon webcast.

http://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news/2013/08/22/wls-channel-7-taps-linda-yu-and-tracy.html

• 4 weeks later...

The changes do not appear to be sitting well with viewers. According to this article, WLS has gone down 36 percent in total viewers and 46 percent in the 25-54 demo at 11am since these changes have taken effect, while WGN is up 42 percent at 11am in total viewers. WLS' ratings have also slipped in other timeslots as well.

Low blow. WGN is better than this...

I see no issue with this. It's the truth, WLS decided that a local talk show was more important to them than a newscast. WGN is not lying, and they are using the opportunity to grow their audience.

I see no issue with this. It's the truth, WLS decided that a local talk show was more important to them than a newscast. WGN is not lying, and they are using the opportunity to grow their audience.

I don't know that you've seen WGN's 11am hour, and I personally haven't seen it in a few weeks, but last I knew they only do a few more minutes of news than WLS in that hour. ABC 7 is doing about 3-4 fast-paced minutes right at 11, while WGN does around 10-15 total minutes of slower-paced reports split between the top and bottom of the hour. Channel 7 also does just as much (if not, more) weather as 'GN at 11. The rest of channel 9's 11am show is longer-form interviews and segments, plus some entertainment news. While it's a little more serious and informative, it's not a HUGE departure from 'WCL'. In fact, WLS could've run a piece promoting the newsier 'ABC 7 News at 11' denouncing the fluffy first hour of the 'WGN Midday News', but they didn't. I know a lot of viewers lack even the most basic common sense, but the commercial comes across as borderline insulting, seeing as they're promoting a product that's only marginally better. The tone of it just makes it seem like something cheap that WFLD or even WMAQ would put out, not the ole #9.

I honestly think cutting the 11am news to a half hour would've been the best option. From there they had could have done one of three things:

1) Aired WCL at 11:30am for a half hour not disturbing anything else.

2) Moved Jeopardy to 11:30am, WCL at noon, The Chew at 1pm, and GH at 2pm, with Katie at 3pm. (yes, the ABC lineup is not at the recommended times).

3) Moved Jeopardy to 11:30am, The Chew at noon, GH at 1pm, and WCL at 2pm, with Katie at 3pm.

Options 2 & 3 would have required WLS to drop Inside Edition, which most ABC O&Os don't carry anyway.

Any of these would have been more desirable, b/c WCL and the midday news would have both stuck around in some capacity.

Onto another topic, things would be so much easier if the Central and Mountain time zones started their primetime at 8pm.

I honestly think cutting the 11am news to a half hour would've been the best option. From there they had could have done one of three things:

1) Aired WCL at 11:30am for a half hour not disturbing anything else.

2) Moved Jeopardy to 11:30am, WCL at noon, The Chew at 1pm, and GH at 2pm, with Katie at 3pm. (yes, the ABC lineup is not at the recommended times).

3) Moved Jeopardy to 11:30am, The Chew at noon, GH at 1pm, and WCL at 2pm, with Katie at 3pm.

Options 2 & 3 would have required WLS to drop Inside Edition, which most ABC O&Os don't carry anyway.

Any of these would have been more desirable, b/c WCL and the midday news would have both stuck around in some capacity.

Onto another topic, things would be so much easier if the Central and Mountain time zones started their primetime at 8pm.

I really don't like the thought of primetime starting at 8. I like seeing shows at the same time as the East Coast, and I don't like waiting until 10 for the last primetime hour, or until 11 for the news.

Archived