WPIX Ratings Getting Worse:Soundoff

Newyorktalent

The station is down year to year now 3 months in a row under ND Mark Effron.

Friday was particularly bad.

5pm did a .1 in key demo

10pm a .4

The product seems unwatchable lately.

Not buying Tamsen Fadal as an evening anchor. She needs to go back to the am.

Don't think Effron was the right choice. The changes he's already made are just wrong.

I think Craig and Tamaen need to be together from 4-6 then Like I've said before Suki and Frances need to cut out the sex crap or they need to split. I could see Frances as an evening anchor with the right co-anchor. I feel Lisa Mateo needs a bigger role.. Maybe even the nighttime anchor she's been there long enough and has proven she can fill really any spot.

I pretty much stopped watching the 10pm PIX 11 news on weekdays, looks like I'm not the only one who has jumped ship. Tired of glitches, stupid Mr.G/Tamsen banter, and their poor choice of reporting. Then there was that episode of a story goofup on the closing of Downstate Hospital in Brooklyn, at first they roll the wrong story, then later on they play it, and show Tamsen and Mr.G laughing, after a serious news story about ambulances being turned away. These people have no place on evening news. Mark Effron's mistakes are obvious, trying to hold on tightly to the Carey era. He should have gone back to 2 anchors, gotten rid of that horrible set, and fixed the music. Just go back to what works. But he will not listen. The station deserves to lose money the way its being run. I think we will have to wait till things get so bad the station is sold to a company who actually knows what they are doing.

It irks me because the remedy is so simple, put Tamsen back to mornings with Mr.G, bring back Jim & Kaity, old music, old set, with Church, Mateo, or Allen on weather. They dont need auditions for new ppl, they just need to go back to what works. Even if they cant get Watkins back, you can have Marvin Scott, or even Larry Mendte as anchor too. Tamsen just cant be taken seriously. In some ways, her behavior is even worse than Applegate. Until then, I will tune out PIX 11, and only watch on weekends when Kaity Tong, a real anchor, is hosting,

I think big changes are coming soon and i think it is already in the works. Why?

1. They need a strong lead in for the Arsenio show starting in September. Tribune is a backer in this production so NY has to have strong numbers.

2. Things can't turn on a dime. Set design and construction takes time and planning.

3. Beside the on air talent, their entire behind the scene talent needs to be upgraded. Eliminate the graphic typo and segment errors.

4. To me, G and Tamsen are acting lame ducks. They know what is going on and they don't care and it shows.

5. In my opinion, everyone should go, except for Jay Dow, Mary Murphy, Mario Diaz, Marvin Scott, Arthur Chein. Dan Mannerino is a good reporter, but his high voice and young face would fit entertainment segments. Lisa Mateo would be perfect for human interest stories.

6. Suki, Tamsen, Francis should not be anchors, but together in a 'view' type show would work.

7. I was never a fan of Linda Church. She does not have a conversational type voice, always seems strained

The evening news needs a strong male presenter. In my opinion the best anchor man I ever saw was Bill Jorgensen. He was clear, concise and no bs banter

They need to put Kaity Tong back on weeknights but I believe her age is going against her. They also need a Chuck or Maurice type of personality for their weeknight newscasts which would balance the newscast with Kaity's personality. Get rid of Suki and Frances, their banter is crude and abrasive. Wouldn't mind if Kirsten Cole and another male anchor to replace them. Get rid of those cheesy graphics, music, and opening. PIX need to show they mean business, they need to focus on hard news instead of those darn commentaries. I thought at one point the weekend newscast had higher rating than the weeknight newscasts.

Kristen Cole comes across as being smug

Kaity Tong, a nice lady, unfortunately had her day.

Howard Thompson with his cat up the tree segments is a waste of time. If you want to do something, do something that helps all of NY.

Greg Mocker - his mta stories are being boring and repetitive.

Graphic this morning: zimmerma case

It plain English, their newscast need to be scrubbed down to the bone. Keep the people i mentioned above and get rid of the rest. Is WPIX worried they might lose viewers? At these numbers, they have no one to lose.

Knowles in for Linda Church this morning. Church taking off a lot of time. Maybe a 5 day weekend in the Pocono's. Maybe being phased out? Big mistake, she should be getting more face time not less. Yes, Cole comes off very smug. They need to re work this format and time slot.

WPIX should stop experimenting already. The answer is right in front of them, go back to the old format. Just bring back Jim and Kaity. The newscast with them two anchoring wasn't broken and didn't need to be messed with. Do a HUGE media campaign with Jim/Kaity saying their back (tv commercials, subway ads, etc.) . Another from the station with a sincere apology to viewers saying they messed up and will be working hard to earn back their trust and viewership. Then they need to flex their hard news muscles and with the talent on their team, it's not that hard to achieve.

WPIX should stop experimenting already. The answer is right in front of them, go back to the old format. Just bring back Jim and Kaity. The newscast with them two anchoring wasn't broken and didn't need to be messed with. Do a HUGE media campaign with Jim/Kaity saying their back (tv commercials, subway ads, etc.) . Another from the station with a sincere apology to viewers saying they messed up and will be working hard to earn back their trust and viewership. Then they need to flex their hard news muscles and with the talent on their team, it's not that hard to achieve.

Judging by the latest spot I saw minutes ago while watching the 10pm news (I only watch on weekends now) they seem to intend keep the Carey era design, with a new "welcome to the conversation" spot I just saw. Looks like something a High School station would produce.

I found the spot on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEiBb9taMSU

Judging by the latest spot I saw minutes ago while watching the 10pm news (I only watch on weekends now) they seem to intend keep the Carey era design, with a new "welcome to the conversation" spot I just saw. Looks like something a High School station would produce.

I found the spot on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEiBb9taMSU

Wow, this is just...

stop

When was the last time the regular people 4:30am-6am and 6am-9am were on.

Today 4:30-6am Steve MacLaughlin is doing weather and Dan Mannarino is doing the news headlines today.

Suki and Frances seem to be off every other week.

Lisa is back to doing news headlines while Kirstin Cole subs 6am-9am.

Another change they made is Craig Treadway now does his reports from the studio desk instead of the news room while the other anchor does the news headlines from the small podium.

Today 4:30-6am Steve MacLaughlin is doing weather and Dan Mannarino is doing the news headlines today.

Another change they made is Craig Treadway now does his reports from the studio desk instead of the news room while the other anchor does the news headlines from the small podium.

Suki is on maternity leave.

July is a ratings month but not as important as the fall and spring. Maybe theyre trying out all combinations to see what works in time for the bigger November ratings.

Archived