Roberts Broadcasting sells to ION Media

Brother

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/roberts-tv-stations-to-be-sold/article_6dbc41fa-08af-5618-97d4-33b7acf750d0.html

Not an earth-shattering sale in broadcast television, but a sale nonetheless.

Last week, Roberts Broadcasting in St. Louis filed to sell its local WRBU Channel 46 and WZRB Ch. 47 in Columbia, SC to Tri-State Christian Television. Today, however, it appear they (and whatever remains of WAZE in Evansville, IN) are going to ION Media Networks. So, PAX/I/ION returns to the St. Louis airwaves after several years' absence, with MyNetworkTV (in St. Louis) and the CW (in Columbia) searching for new affiliates.

http://www.stltoday.com/business/local/roberts-tv-stations-to-be-sold/article_6dbc41fa-08af-5618-97d4-33b7acf750d0.html

Last week, Roberts Broadcasting in St. Louis filed to sell its local WRBU Channel 46 and WZRB Ch. 47 in Columbia, SC to Tri-State Christian Television. Today, however, it appear they (and whatever remains of WAZE in Evansville, IN) are going to ION Media Networks. So, PAX/I/ION returns to the St. Louis airwaves after several years' absence, with MyNetworkTV (in St. Louis) and the CW (in Columbia) searching for new affiliates.

If Sinclair is daring enough, they can do what they do in Columbus and Dayton and put My Network TV on a subchannel of KDNL.

That's about the only way I see My Network TV surviving in St. Louis.

If Sinclair is daring enough, they can do what they do in Columbus and Dayton and put My Network TV on a subchannel of KDNL.

That's about the only way I see My Network TV surviving in St. Louis.

Very true. The primary channels on 2, 4, 5, 11, and 30 are spoken for, 13 is Daystar-owned, and 24 hasn't dealt with mainstream secular networks since their Fox Kids and UPN disasters in the '90s. It's a subchannel or bust, and of STL's remaining owners, Sinclair has the closest relationship with MyNetworkTV.

MyNetworkTV and Ion really show the same kinds of programs these days (procedural reruns; they both show reruns of Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Monk too)...

I still think that Ion is bound to get gobbled up someday; its stations are all blatant spectrum speculator/duopoly bait.

Or, did the Post-Dispatch reporter mix up ION with TCT?

If the ION deal is true, Channel 46 in St. Louis will finally be upgraded to high-definition. They are one of the last large-market entertainment stations to broadcast only in SD.

Or, did the Post-Dispatch reporter mix up ION with TCT?

If the ION deal is true, Channel 46 in St. Louis will finally be upgraded to high-definition. They are one of the last large-market entertainment stations to broadcast only in SD.

http://www.bizjournals.com/stlouis/blog/2013/12/judge-approves-creditors-proposal-in.html?page=all

This article from the St. Louis Business Journal confirms that the stations are being sold to ION. The TCT sale was apparently an alternative plan, but the sale to ION was the one approved.

Had the sale to TCT been approved, the St. Louis full-power TV landscape would have been reduced to 5 general-entertainment stations, alongside 3 religious and 1 PBS. Either way, Channel 46 goes from a channel I don't watch to... a channel I'll continue to not watch.

MyNetworkTV and Ion really show the same kinds of programs these days (procedural reruns; they both show reruns of Law & Order: Criminal Intent and Monk too)...

I still think that Ion is bound to get gobbled up someday; its stations are all blatant spectrum speculator/duopoly bait.

Not just that, but if ION could be gotten to sell just for spectrum it would be the Conestoga lode of television spectrum. The top 24 television markets, and 27 of the top 30, have at least one ION transmitter (Boston has three, Washington has two, Raleigh/Durham has two).

What puzzles me is, why did Roberts choose to sell its stations to companies that wouldn't run them as traditional general entertainment outlets? The problem with selling the stations to religious broadcasters and Ion Media Networks is that it displaces both network and syndicated shows in each market. For syndicated programs, it's a bigger problem since it would be harder to get clearance for a program in a market with five network-affiliated general entertainment stations than it would if a market had six or more general entertainment stations.

A subchannel affiliation for MyNetworkTV in St. Louis would buffer this (I agree with Mrtraveler01 that KDNL will probably be the one to add one), since the syndie shows that will be displaced from WRBU (chances are it'll probably change its calls like it did in every other market where Paxson/Ion bought a station) once it joins Ion would end up in low-profile slots (if cleared at all) if they ended up on news and network-dominated KSDK and KMOV or news-intensive KTVI. KPLR and KDNL might get some of them, though; KDNL isn't going to have newscasts much longer so there's room opened, and KPLR only carries three hours of news a day and outside of that and CW shows, much of its schedule is syndie.

It does seem weird, though, that St. Louis will become a Top 25 market with only five general entertainment commercial stations. I always thought Sinclair would try to grab WRBU using Deerfield or Cunningham, create a virtual duop with KDNL.

What puzzles me is, why did Roberts choose to sell its stations to companies that wouldn't run them as traditional general entertainment outlets? The problem with selling the stations to religious broadcasters and Ion Media Networks is that it displaces both network and syndicated shows in each market. For syndicated programs, it's a bigger problem since it would be harder to get clearance for a program in a market with five network-affiliated general entertainment stations than it would if a market had six or more general entertainment stations.

A subchannel affiliation for MyNetworkTV in St. Louis would buffer this (I agree with Mrtraveler01 that KDNL will probably be the one to add one), since the syndie shows that will be displaced from WRBU (chances are it'll probably change its calls like it did in every other market where Paxson/Ion bought a station) once it joins Ion would end up in low-profile slots (if cleared at all) if they ended up on news and network-dominated KSDK and KMOV or news-intensive KTVI. KPLR and KDNL might get some of them, though; KDNL isn't going to have newscasts much longer so there's room opened, and KPLR only carries three hours of news a day and outside of that and CW shows, much of its schedule is syndie.

It does seem weird, though, that St. Louis will become a Top 25 market with only five general entertainment commercial stations. I always thought Sinclair would try to grab WRBU using Deerfield or Cunningham, create a virtual duop with KDNL.

Roberts has been in bankruptcy since 2011, so I'm assuming that they were just desperate to sell at this point and would take anyone that would buy them.

And aside from Sinclair treating St. Louis like the red-headed stepchild for whatever reason, I think the reason they didn't persue WRBU is because of it's terrible signal (its transmitter is further south than most of the other transmitters in St. Louis and I can't pick up this signal from the western suburbs of St. Louis), I think that they would have had to do a lot of work to improve the signal and Sinclair probably didn't think it would be worth it.

As far as the Syndie rights, if KDNL does get a MyNetworkTV subchannel, then a lot of the program rights that WRBU had could transfer over to KDNL quite easily since Sinclair has the rights to a majority of these programs in other markets. Otherwise I'd see it split between KDNL, KTVI, and KPLR.

Roberts has been in bankruptcy since 2011, so I'm assuming that they were just desperate to sell at this point and would take anyone that would buy them.

Exactly. The creditors and liquidation trustees had to be pretty desperate to get a buyer, ANY buyer.

• 3 weeks later...

I have waited to see if anybody would post this. But, nobody has pointed out Ion is going to have to use (and expand their use of) the UHF discount. I can't wait to see how the FCC decides to handle this. They basically told everyone to act like they eliminated the UHF discount and they will work out the details later. The NPRM stated the rules would be retroactive to the date the NPRM was issued but, pending deals would be "grandfathered." So, are they really going to make Ion come into full compliance once they get around to issuing a final order?

[rant on]

Although, I think the UHF discount needs to go the action by the FCC last fall to do so was nothing more than "hey, look we're doing something." They further muddied the waters the waters by proposing to make the elimination retroactive. But, nobody knows for sure if it will be retroactive (or if they will even follow through) because they have yet to issue a final order. The whole thing was a half-assed effort to placate the masses. Everybody got bent out of shape about Sinclair's use of the UHF discount even though they have yet to go over the limit without taking into account the discount. But, yet Ion & Univision used it for years and nobody cared. And, apparently nobody cares Ion is doing it now. The biggest issue that needs to be addressed is LMA/SSA's much more so than the UHF discount. That has been much more used & abused in the recent M&A craze. There has been very little change to the rules in decades yet the industry has experienced massive changes. All I'm saying is the FCC needs to have a comprehensive review of their ownership rules...not just the UHF discount...the whole thing!

[/rant off]

• 1 month later...

The Roberts Broadcasting stations WZRB, WRBU and WAZE going to that "Broadcast Trust" was greenlighted by the FCC.

WZRB and WRBU has removed reference of CW and MyNetworkTV.

​Now it's time for both stations looking for new affiliate.

WRBU is now showing ion programming.

That was fast.

I believe television applications are currently suspended pending the outcome of the spectrum auction.

That freeze are for stations who want to maximize its OTA signal/coverage areas (i.e. stations who want a power increase). Also, any new petitions to change RF channels, are on a freeze (and they've been on this freeze since they'd announced this Broadband Plan). Some stations, like WTHR have applied to boost its power anyway, but asked for a waiver of the freeze.

But applications to change the station's callsign aren't in part of the freeze. Just this last month, the FCC approved the latest string of apps from stations who filed to change callsigns. Not too sure if folks who's running the "Broadcast Trust" is going to make plans to change the callsign immediately.

I wonder why Sinclair didn't scoop them up.

As of last Saturday, WZRB has re-added CW programming. Primetime, Daytime, and Saturday morning CW programming air in pattern while the rest of the lineup is ION. It appears they're now a dual ION/CW station. I think this is a first for an ION O&O. Perhaps The CW is forcing them to ride out their 10 year contract?

As of last Saturday, WZRB has re-added CW programming. Primetime, Daytime, and Saturday morning CW programming air in pattern while the rest of the lineup is ION. It appears they're now a dual ION/CW station. I think this is a first for an ION O&O. Perhaps The CW is forcing them to ride out their 10 year contract?

Actually, Ion's Memphis O&O WPXX had a secondary affiliation with MyNetworkTV for a couple of years, so there have been Ion O&Os that have carried other network affiliations on their main channels before.

More likely nobody wanted The CW, though certainly a contract where they could not get out is a possibility.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived