Meredith to buy KMOV, KTVK

TheRob

The fate of different elements of KTVK continues to be decided. On Friday, according to FTVLive, the station's business office staff were told they were redundant; meanwhile, the speculation increasingly hints toward KPHO moving to the channel 3 facilities. Meanwhile, still no clue on the combined stations' news department — who will direct it? who will anchor it? who will report it?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 weeks later...

...Surprise!

KTVK is expanding again with its newscasts. The additions include a 4pm half hour on weekdays, bringing the station's evening news to 2.5 hours, and a 6am weekend hour of Good Morning Arizona.

...How is this happening? KTVK has hired staff and now added newscasts all in the middle of the greatest structural turmoil possibly in the station's 59-year history, certainly since they lost ABC. While I had been saying that KTVK was highly likely to expand to 4pm (especially since it will be the only fully local, full-on newscast at that half hour), I sure wasn't expecting it to happen now.

And another development: KPHO is confirmed to be moving to 5555 N. 7th Avenue. Meredith has bought the studio facilities for $9.9 million (and in the process moves from a 25,000 sf studio to 90,000 sf!). Operations will be relocated over the next year, and the current KPHO studio at I-17 and Indian School will be sold.

Considering that KTVK's building is much larger than KPHO's existing facility, are there any other soundstages within the building besides the one used for KTVK's newscasts and are any of them large enough to house a secondary news set for KPHO's newscasts?

Considering that KTVK's building is much larger than KPHO's existing facility, are there any other soundstages within the building besides the one used for KTVK's newscasts and are any of them large enough to house a secondary news set for KPHO's newscasts?

KPHO just got new set components earlier this year from BDI which will in all probability be moved.

I think they have a Studio A and Studio B that they use for their different newscasts; I've seen both. Studio A (which IIRC is from 2007 or 2008) has the main desk set while Studio B (2012) by Devlin is a smaller, stand-up set.

I did not know KPHO's digs are only 25,000 SF. Kind of small for a station in the 12th largest market.

It also makes me wonder what KTVK does with all that space. I'm willing to bet a lot of it is vacant. Back when they moved there in 1996, the building was also the headquarters of MAC America, KEZ 99.9 (now being wrecked by Clear Channel), 103.5 FM (now a Spanish station), Phoenix Magazine (now based in Glendale), The McFarland Foundation, and The Desert Production Center, in addition to KTVK and KASW. Now it's just the television stations. So that office space has got to be vacant. What a waste of a building.

I did not know KPHO's digs are only 25,000 SF. Kind of small for a station in the 12th largest market.

It also makes me wonder what KTVK does with all that space. I'm willing to bet a lot of it is vacant. Back when they moved there in 1996, the building was also the headquarters of MAC America, KEZ 99.9 (now being wrecked by Clear Channel), 103.5 FM (now a Spanish station), Phoenix Magazine (now based in Glendale), The McFarland Foundation, and The Desert Production Center, in addition to KTVK and KASW. Now it's just the television stations. So that office space has got to be vacant. What a waste of a building.

Let's not forget that KPHO was THE de facto independent station (KPAZ-21 never was a factor) when their offices/studio was built in 1971. News shared a studio with the daily children's show. Not to mention, Phoenix was DMA # 48 at the time.

Also, I recall Desert Production Center being separate from the MAC America complex. I remember this because one of my video production teachers worked there and we visited the facility.

I bet there's room for another studio at the site. There has to be. I forgot that Your Life A to Z also has its own studio/set just because I've never watched it.

I bet there's room for another studio at the site. There has to be. I forgot that Your Life A to Z also has its own studio/set just because I've never watched it.

Will "Your Live A to Z" continue since it competes with KPHO's hybrid paid lifestyle show, "Better Arizona?" Could they just bump "Meredith Vieira" up an hour and bring back 11am news on KTVK?

Will "Your Live A to Z" continue since it competes with KPHO's hybrid paid lifestyle show, "Better Arizona?" Could they just bump "Meredith Vieira" up an hour and bring back 11am news on KTVK?

I'm not sure how those two shows are going to be combined myself.

"Better" certainly has the magazine name connection, but I think "Your Life" has been on the air longer (10 years or so).

I'm not sure how those two shows are going to be combined myself.

"Better" certainly has the magazine name connection, but I think "Your Life" has been on the air longer (10 years or so).

Here's an idea. Why not keep both? They're both just paid programming disguised as a lifestyle show anyways.

• 4 weeks later...

Drip drop: While everyone could call that Inside Edition was moving from 3 to 5 (to make way for the new 4pm half-hour of Good Evening Arizona)...Jeopardy! is also moving up the dial, says FTVLive, with what actually appears to be an additional run (not a complete move) on channel 3. This starts Tuesday, as KTVK is tied up with the local telecast of the Monday Night Football game (which was cross-promoted in KPHO's sports reports this week and for which KTVK is producing special pregame and postgame shows). KPHO has very little syndicated programming of its own.

KTVK also lost Dr. Oz, to KSAZ. The stations will have the following syndicated shows this fall:

KTVK: Meredith Vieira (11am), The Doctors (12pm), Steve Harvey (1pm), Queen Latifah (2pm), Dr. Phil (3pm), ET (6:30pm), WoF/J! (7pm and 8pm — the 8pm run is replaced with Hot in Cleveland after next week)

KPHO: The People's Court (3pm), Inside Edition (4pm), Jeopardy (4:30pm)

That KTVK primetime lineup does not look good at all. Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and Hot in Cleveland. I really think that depending on who gets KASW, the CW affiliation will move from there. It'd be a huge upgrade for The CW, for the primetime programming, and with just one displaced show (Wheel of Fortune).

Drip drop: While everyone could call that Inside Edition was moving from 3 to 5 (to make way for the new 4pm half-hour of Good Evening Arizona)...Jeopardy! is also moving up the dial, says FTVLive, with what actually appears to be an additional run (not a complete move) on channel 3. This starts Tuesday, as KTVK is tied up with the local telecast of the Monday Night Football game (which was cross-promoted in KPHO's sports reports this week and for which KTVK is producing special pregame and postgame shows). KPHO has very little syndicated programming of its own.

KTVK also lost Dr. Oz, to KSAZ. The stations will have the following syndicated shows this fall:

KTVK: Meredith Vieira (11am), The Doctors (12pm), Steve Harvey (1pm), Queen Latifah (2pm), Dr. Phil (3pm), ET (6:30pm), WoF/J! (7pm and 8pm — the 8pm run is replaced with Hot in Cleveland after next week)

KPHO: The People's Court (3pm), Inside Edition (4pm), Jeopardy (4:30pm)

That KTVK primetime lineup does not look good at all. Wheel of Fortune, Jeopardy, and Hot in Cleveland. I really think that depending on who gets KASW, the CW affiliation will move from there. It'd be a huge upgrade for The CW, for the primetime programming, and with just one displaced show (Wheel of Fortune).

I looked at the program schedules for both KPHO and KTVK on locatetv.com, and it appeared that the KPHO run of "J!" happens to be the "B" episode from the previous season (which previously aired on KTVK at 12 noon, now replaced by KPHO castoff "Steve Harvey"). KTVK will continue to air the first-run episode at 7:30pm.

Cameryn Beck, KTVK's news director, got a promotion. Sort of.

She's headed for Scripps (!!) where she will be a "senior director of news strategy" though still based in Phoenix. Scripps VP of news Sean McLaughlin (not the meteorologist turned news anchor) had this to say, among other things:

"At KTVK, she revolutionized the news programs and turned the ratings completely around."

We noticed the improvement at channel 3, and I even told her such back in June. She responded graciously to my email praising her work and wishing her the best of luck — which I do again as she jumps to Scripps.

(EDIT: FTVLive has the memo, which also states that the interim ND is current AND Laurie Passman.)

Cameryn Beck, KTVK's news director, got a promotion. Sort of.

She's headed for Scripps (!!) where she will be a "senior director of news strategy" though still based in Phoenix. Scripps VP of news Sean McLaughlin (not the meteorologist turned news anchor) had this to say, among other things:

"At KTVK, she revolutionized the news programs and turned the ratings completely around."

We noticed the improvement at channel 3, and I even told her such back in June. She responded graciously to my email praising her work and wishing her the best of luck — which I do again as she jumps to Scripps.

She left on her own without Meredith letting her go. She must have thought she didn't have a chance to remain at KTVK once KPHO took over.

The most likely scenario is that KPHO's ND will take the reign at KTVK as well. Will 3 start "telling it like it is" soon???

KPHO and KTVK have such different news departments that I think it would be silly to brand 3 as "Telling It Like It Is" or "Asking the Touch Questions" or "Holding the Powerful Accountable". Meredith should either leave them with separate identities or create a new branding such as "Arizona News Now" for both stations.

I just wonder what is going to happen to "Good Morning Arizona".

• 3 weeks later...

KPHO is cross-promoting KTVK's 3TV News at 9 on CBS 5 now as an early alternative to the late news for those who go to bed earlier. In addition, KTVK's legendary helicopter pilot/reporter is being promoted on KPHO (as their own chopper pilot).

The "integration" begins...

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday this memo was circulated at 3 and 5. There is much to take a look at in terms of leadership and some other things.

NEWS: Leona Wood, KPHO's ND, will head up the merged news department. Apparently she was an EP at KTVK for a time.

MARKETING: Director of marketing is from 3; the KPHO CSD will be KPHO's promotion manager and will report to her.

LOCAL PROGRAMMING: To be headed by Seth Parker from KPHO. Includes retrans, FCC, syndicated and local shows, and the KTVK and KPHO news/weather subchannels (for which he will "chart a new course").

ENGINEERING: Walcott Denison of 3, with Greg Parker of 5 being named as the director of Meredith's west coast hub which will be rebuilt there.

SALES: Mitch Nye, KPHO's general sales manager.

DIGITAL: Currently being searched.

ACCOUNTING: Jason Randall, KTVK.

HR: Laura Peña, who worked for an automotive retailer in HR.

KTVK/KASW's Mark Demopoulos will stick with SagamoreHill in a leadership position "to help maintain and grow [KASW] as it is being sold".

Integration is currently planned for 9 to 12 months out. This is actually a fairly even split.

Yesterday this memo was circulated at 3 and 5. There is much to take a look at in terms of leadership and some other things.

NEWS: Leona Wood, KPHO's ND, will head up the merged news department. Apparently she was an EP at KTVK for a time.

MARKETING: Director of marketing is from 3; the KPHO CSD will be KPHO's promotion manager and will report to her.

LOCAL PROGRAMMING: To be headed by Seth Parker from KPHO. Includes retrans, FCC, syndicated and local shows, and the KTVK and KPHO news/weather subchannels (for which he will "chart a new course").

ENGINEERING: Walcott Denison of 3, with Greg Parker of 5 being named as the director of Meredith's west coast hub which will be located in Phoenix. (This is a new item.)

SALES: Mitch Nye, KPHO's general sales manager.

DIGITAL: Currently being searched.

ACCOUNTING: Jason Randall, KTVK.

HR: Laura Peña, who worked for an automotive retailer in HR.

KTVK/KASW's Mark Demopoulos will stick with SagamoreHill in a leadership position "to help maintain and grow [KASW] as it is being sold".

Integration is currently planned for 9 to 12 months out. This is actually a fairly even split. The most interesting items relate to the new Meredith west coast hub and also the fact that KASW *will* be sold.

Raymie, Is there something I'm missing here? :unsure:

Meredith has housed their West Coast MC hub at KPHO for quite some time now. And, the "Conditional Grant" that was agreed to and submitted with application necessitates a sale.

And, WRT the "Conditional Grant" by my math today marks 120 days since approval. So, I'd assume we should be seeing an application to transfer KASW to a Divesture Trust shortly.

Raymie, Is there something I'm missing here? :unsure:

Meredith has housed their West Coast MC hub at KPHO for quite some time now. And, the "Conditional Grant" that was agreed to and submitted with application necessitates a sale.

And, WRT the "Conditional Grant" by my math today marks 120 days since approval. So, I'd assume we should be seeing an application to transfer KASW to a Divesture Trust shortly.

I knew that about KASW but it just felt like forever because I thought it was under a tighter timeline. Whoops.

I knew that about KASW but it just felt like forever because I thought it was under a tighter timeline. Whoops.

Isn't that true. I get the feeling that Meredith/SagamoreHill weren't really looking for a buyer for KASW. It seems like they are just going to leave that to the trustee. But, I'm not sure what will happen if the trustee doesn't find a buyer in 180 days.

Archived