Meredith to buy KMOV, KTVK

TheRob

Does anyone have any idea how or when the news teams will be integrated at KTVK and KPHO?

Right now, 3TV's weather team is stretched to the limit. For the past few weeks on Saturday nights, Karen Brown just reads the weather at 9pm (presumably since weekend GMAZ now starts at 6am and Kim is trying to cover as much as possible). It seems like a CBS 5 meteorologist could help in the 9pm timeslot. And, then, if anyone wants to take vacation, then the others end up working 6-7 days in a row.

Also, now that Yetta has moved to ABC15, there is very little backup in the mornings either. It's tough to do a 5.5. hour newscast with just 2 anchors.

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does anyone have any idea how or when the news teams will be integrated at KTVK and KPHO?

Right now, 3TV's weather team is stretched to the limit. For the past few weeks on Saturday nights, Karen Brown just reads the weather at 9pm (presumably since weekend GMAZ now starts at 6am and Kim is trying to cover as much as possible). It seems like a CBS 5 meteorologist could help in the 9pm timeslot. And, then, if anyone wants to take vacation, then the others end up working 6-7 days in a row.

Also, now that Yetta has moved to ABC15, there is very little backup in the mornings either. It's tough to do a 5.5. hour newscast with just 2 anchors.

Sounds like they can combine them easily then with few job losses if both are already over-extended, particularly on the set. Behind the scenes there may be cuts though...

Certainly they don't need to cut any meteorologists, if anything they might still need to hire at least one more (a large operation like that would likely need 5 or 6). Also many anchors could move over as well with no losses.

Well, I think that process is slowly beginning though it will take up to 9 months to complete.

The combined ND is Leona Wood of KPHO, as mentioned earlier. My main question on weather was whether 3&5 could keep both Chris Dunn and Royal Norman. 5 loves its met and 3's has been in the market for a very long time.

Well, I think that process is slowly beginning though it will take up to 9 months to complete.

The combined ND is Leona Wood of KPHO, as mentioned earlier. My main question on weather was whether 3&5 could keep both Chris Dunn and Royal Norman. 5 loves its met and 3's has been in the market for a very long time.

They could take the WOAI/KABB approach and keep them both. Then when one retires or leaves there's a opening they can kill thanks to attrition.

They could take the WOAI/KABB approach and keep them both. Then when one retires or leaves there's a opening they can kill thanks to attrition.

Or, they could go the way of using market research studies. "Do you know who Royal Norman is?" (hands raise) "Do you know who Chris Dunn is?" (crickets chirping)

5 seems to be stretched too. I don't see Jason Kadah's name on their bios page (it's been a while since I've watched 5, so I don't know how long he's been gone).

Or they could do what happened to Chris Dunn at the last duopoly. When KDVR and KWGN merged, Chris Dunn continued to do weather for KDVR's newscasts, while Dave Fraser continued to be mostly only on KWGN.

Then, they realized that having two meterologists nightside was meaningless and let Chris Dunn go, and he eventually ended up in Phoenix not too long after.

Well, SagamoreHill and Meredith have found a buyer for KASW, and it's not who you might have expected it to be. Nexstar is buying the station for $68 million. This would make Phoenix Nexstar's largest market...by far.

Well this is interesting. Of course, the first question is where will KASW build its new studios after leaving the KTVK building. Nexstar seems like it wants KASW, too, which is a good thing.

I'm not sure where they will locate the KASW studios and business office (the old KPHO building is too large), but I have this feeling master control will be operated elsewhere, perhaps Salt Lake City? KASW and KTVK no longer share syndicated programming, so that should make the transition easier as well.

Also, nothing's been filed with the FCC yet. I also wonder if this involves KPHO moving its transmitter to KASW's more modern tower (which is located right next to the KTVK tower) and vice versa.

And I also found out KASW now have their own website. Good looking, but I expect it won't last long as Nexstar buying it.

I wouldn't be surprised if KASW adopted PhoenixVeryOwn.com or ArizonasOwn.com for its website once Nexstar takes over.

Heh, KTVK used to promote itself as Arizona's Own in the 80s.

So did KAZT during much of the past decade. In fact, KAZT used the domain ArizonasOwn.com for some time between 2005 and 2010.

EDIT: ArizonasOwn.com still forwards to KAZT's aztv.com website. Unless Nexstar buys the intellectual unit of KAZT, there's no way they're getting that domain.

Well, SagamoreHill and Meredith have found a buyer for KASW, and it's not who you might have expected it to be. Nexstar is buying the station for $68 million. This would make Phoenix Nexstar's largest market...by far.

This is great news.

For a station that many thought was bound to be spectrum bait, this was a pleasant surprise. Guess Nexstar sees a lot of potential in the Phoenix market.

Under Nexstar’s ownership we intend to initiate local programming and a local community orientation."

So obviously CW6 is probably going away in favor of something more "Local". Wonder what kind of local programming they have in mind.

This is great news.

For a station that many thought was bound to be spectrum bait, this was a pleasant surprise. Guess Nexstar sees a lot of potential in the Phoenix market.

So obviously CW6 is probably going away in favor of something more "Local". Wonder what kind of local programming they have in mind.

Look at their CW affiliate in Jacksonville, WCWJ, which prides themselves on local programming and has done a great job with it. Still called "CW 17" but their slogan is "Locally Yours". (and you never thought the "Local" thing could work on an non-big three station...). Check the latest NewsActive3 compilation for a promo. They also have a partnership with local sports station 1010XL so they do a lot of collaboration with them as well.

• 2 weeks later...

We also now know who the divestiture trustee was for KASW.

It was K. James Yager, who was the CEO and co-founder of Barrington Broadcasting. Days before the sale to Nexstar was filed, the divestiture trust application was filed with the FCC.

• 4 months later...

Sorry to rehash an old thread but KMOV and KTVK have finally ditched the old Belo website format for the Worldnow format that Meredith uses for their stations. In addition, they are now both using Livestream to stream their newscasts 24/7 just like their sister stations currently do.

I think this also means the Belo layout is officially dead because these were the only 2 stations still using them.

http://www.kmov.com/

http://www.azfamily.com/category/298076/watch-3tv-live-and-replay

Sorry to rehash an old thread but KMOV and KTVK have finally ditched the old Belo website format for the Worldnow format that Meredith uses for their stations. In addition, they are now both using Livestream to stream their newscasts 24/7 just like their sister stations currently do.

I think this also means the Belo layout is officially dead because these were the only 2 stations still using them.

http://www.kmov.com/

http://www.azfamily.com/category/298076/watch-3tv-live-and-replay

That'll make the AZ NewsChannel redundant.

It looks a lot better than KPHO on the same platform, too.

That'll make the AZ NewsChannel redundant.

It looks a lot better than KPHO on the same platform, too.

The same could be said for most of the Meredith stations.

Hopefully, that means the rest of the group's websites will get similar upgrades in the very near future.

The same could be said for most of the Meredith stations.

Hopefully, that means the rest of the group's websites will get similar upgrades in the very near future.

I don't think they'll be changing the looks of the other sites anytime soon. KMOV & KTVK's websites were moved to Worldnow, but designed to look just like their Belo Interactive sites. With the exception of WGCL's site (which they designed horribly to look like a CBS O&O (at least colorwise), all of the other sites have a common look.

Archived