Meredith to buy KMOV, KTVK

TheRob

Maybe CBS or Tribune could be interested in KASW since neither one of them own a tv station in Phoenix. Also, with 3 and 5 combining operations, there will be an available studio.

My question is, would a standalone speculator-owned/CW-affiliated KASW need such a large facility (they could have a sales office in a suite of one of the Biltmore-area high-rises and farm out Master Control to Encompass or whatever the old Equity hub is calling themselves today)?

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looking at the documents in the KASW application, it's hard to believe that they claim they're the ELEVENTH-ranked station in Phoenix. Sure KUTP and Telemundo might be ahead of them, but I can't seem them that low-rated. That must mean KAZT's Me-TV subchannel is also ahead of them.

Looking at the documents in the KASW application, it's hard to believe that they claim they're the ELEVENTH-ranked station in Phoenix. Sure KUTP and Telemundo might be ahead of them, but I can't seem them that low-rated. That must mean KAZT's Me-TV subchannel is also ahead of them.

The top five are the Big Four stations and KTVK. Beyond that, KTVW, KTAZ and KUTP are almost assuredly there, and I'd even throw KAET in at this rate. That's nine stations. I bet either KAZT or KFPH is #10. Maybe even KPAZ, but that is a longshot.

That number is amazing—amazingly bad. It gives more fuel to those who think The CW is toast in 2016.

Seems like a good opportunity for Univision to put Unimas on a full power station in Phoenix.

That would require the sale of KFPH Flagstaff.

The top five are the Big Four stations and KTVK. Beyond that, KTVW, KTAZ and KUTP are almost assuredly there, and I'd even throw KAET in at this rate. That's nine stations. I bet either KAZT or KFPH is #10. Maybe even KPAZ, but that is a longshot.

I think KTVW's within the top four, with KTVK slightly ahead of KNXV. They might count subchannels as fully-rated channels (I remember hearing that KAZT's Me-TV gets better ratings than the primary channel), so one of them might be in there. I think there was once a time when KASW was a #6-ranked station, but that was in the WB years. I highly doubt KPAZ has more than 1,000 viewers at one particular time, so I would shoot that down. Who knows, maybe KPPX is up there.

• 2 weeks later...

According to FTV Live, the sale of KTVK and KASW has been approved by the FCC and will close later in the week.

I didn't see anything granted on the FCC site, Although It might be posted either later on today or tomorrow.

But I wouldn't be shocked that the FCC acted on that "conditional" grant the applicants imposed two weeks ago, in which they will sell KASW to an indie buyer, within 90 days, after the consummation date, otherwise those applications would've been sitting there. Because since the FCC grants of the Gannett/Belo & Tribune/Local TV deals on December 20, they haven't granted any applications that included a sharing agreement until today.

It would be interesting to see if those "conditions" are on the granting papers, whenever it gets posted on the site. And it's likely would be on there. And if its NOT, they best to also approve those Excaliburs too while they at it!!!! And those Quincy/Granite ones too.

EDIT: FCC did greenlight the KTVK & KASW applications yesterday, the papers are now posted this morning (6/17).

The Phoenix Business Journal had a nice piece about KTVK today, as they about to close soon.

That is a very nice article indeed. There's a tidbit of really interesting Speculatron Time Machine fodder in there:

“In 1999, even though the Tribune Co. was offering a much fatter offer to buy KTVK and KASW, than Belo, it was apparent the Tribune Co. would slim down the newsroom to almost nothing, and run Andy Griffith-type shows,” [bill] Lewis [former VP of KTVK and treasurer of MAC America] said.

———

I've never posted anything like this. Back in early April I was invited to a meeting related to some Phoenix historical preservation. One of the people brought along his aunt's copy of the 1962 semicentennial (50th) special edition of Arizona Days and Ways magazine, which was produced by the Republic. This edition was jam-packed with ads! (KPHO had one for radio and TV, as did KTAR, though there was no KOOL ad.) It's not quite a scan (yay for perspective cropping), but this was the first thing I saw in that magazine...

ZO8JMxU.png

With the changes looming, once the dust settles, this is what I think the early evening schedule will look like at KTVK:

4pm: News (one hour)

5pm: Inside Edition

5:30p: Newly-acquired magazine show, possibly Access Hollywood

6pm: News (30 minutes)

6:30p: Entertainment Tonight

KPHO will most likely keep their current schedule--maybe swap "Steve Harvey" and "Dr. Oz" between the two stations. And, I expect KPNX to change their "EVB Live" show to a more traditional news format.

With the changes looming, once the dust settles, this is what I think the early evening schedule will look like at KTVK:

4pm: News (one hour)

5pm: Inside Edition

5:30p: Newly-acquired magazine show, possibly Access Hollywood

6pm: News (30 minutes)

6:30p: Entertainment Tonight

KPHO will most likely keep their current schedule--maybe swap "Steve Harvey" and "Dr. Oz" between the two stations. And, I expect KPNX to change their "EVB Live" show to a more traditional news format.

KTVK also have The Insider. They could fill it with that at 5:30pm.

The sale is complete. The acquisition is also complete.

The Meredith acquisition announcement includes this passage:

Included in the transaction are (1) KTVK-TV, one of the nation's most successful independent stations and (2) KASW-TV, a leading CW network affiliate. At closing, SagamoreHill of Phoenix, LLC simultaneously purchased certain assets of KASW. As part of Federal Communications Commission approval, Meredith and SagamoreHill have voluntarily agreed to divest KASW through a cash sale, swap transaction or combination thereof.

So there's my answer on that conditional grant.

Several questions still looms, as to whether programming will be shifted to the subchannel or certain shows would be cherry picked, and others will be sold. And since we know KASW will be sold again within 90 days, who willing to acquire the station outright?

There's no doubt layoffs will occur once the consolidation between 3 & 5 are completed.

Several questions still looms, as to whether programming will be shifted to the subchannel or certain shows would be cherry picked, and others will be sold. And since we know KASW will be sold again within 90 days, who willing to acquire the station outright?

There's no doubt layoffs will occur once the consolidation between 3 & 5 are completed.

At least on the technical side. Every other detail is still unknown. Someone could even buy KASW and want to operate it as a CW affiliate (!).

At least on the technical side. Every other detail is still unknown. Someone could even buy KASW and want to operate it as a CW affiliate (!).

If I had a few more million, I'd buy it and turn around and start a news operation. Look at WGN and their success. Wow, what a nice dream! ugh.

I hope Sinclair stays clear of the Phoenix market. They're all more than audacious and tenacious to buy it and start up a full news operation.

If I had a few more million, I'd buy it and turn around and start a news operation. Look at WGN and their success. Wow, what a nice dream! ugh.

I hope Sinclair stays clear of the Phoenix market. They're all more than audacious and tenacious to buy it and start up a full news operation.

I started a whole Speculatron thread on KASW just now. Sinclair and Tribune are actually two of the four speculative big buyers I could see besides those that would go Spanish or are spectrum speculators.

The Phoenix Business Journal comes through again, with an article on closing including quotes from Meredith executive Paul Karpowicz. Unfortunately they are kind of vague, stating that Meredith hasn't yet analyzed staffing levels or what it will do with the news brands.

WOW! I can't believe the Phoenix market is about to get another shake-up it was just 20 yrs ago when the network shuffle happened. Where does the time go?

As for CBS 5 and 3TV you have two brands right there and KTVK has been a very powerful Indy affiliate and it would be a shame for it to go bye-bye. IMO CBS 5 News isn't all that stellar. 3TV News is more polished, stylish, but I'm shocked that nobody from Cox, Tribune, Post/Graham, didn't see fit to go after this station.

The only I see this going forward is how in LA they have CBS 2/KCAL 9 is how CBS5/ 3TV should position themselves with their news coverage. I so hate these consolidation of stations/owners etc.....

CBS 5 Morning News would run 4-7AM, Noon, 5, 6:30,10PM

3TV News would start Good Morning AZ 7-11AM, 4PM News 5PM-Syndication, 6PM News, 8PM & 9PM News-Good Evening AZ

This is a tricky one right here, but you have to give KTVK credit for going from ABC to Indy and being stable for last 20 years.

The news schedule is common sense, except I don't see a 10am hour (that hour is filled with a local show but said local show MAY duplicate KPHO's Better) or an 8pm news (especially if KTVK winds up with The CW).

Well heck, Tribune still has quite a few standalone CW affils that have no news departments or NewsFix operations. Plus it gives them a pipeline to air their own in-house syndicated programming.

• 2 weeks later...

The Sander tagline is now finally gone, and KTVK GM Nick Nicholson might also be gone, according to FTVLive. A department head meeting was held at KTVK with Ed Munson, GM of KPHO.

Meanwhile, KTVK reporter Natalie Brand is heading off to Harvard to go back to school. Her last day was yesterday I believe.

The Sander tagline is now finally gone, and KTVK GM Nick Nicholson might also be gone, according to FTVLive. A department head meeting was held at KTVK with Ed Munson, GM of KPHO

That's no surprise. Munson and Karpowicz are both former LIN men, and Munson was a Karpowicz hire. Hopefully, Mr. Nicholson lands a good position in the field.

Archived