Fire At WABC-TV Destroys The Eyewitness News Studio

Vlad

That is some serious footage right there newsguy, thanks for posting that. The whole building is under smoke at this point. Makes me wonder if the building will even be open tomorrow. I don't think there will be any newscasts today. After seeing that video, I'm amazed.

Current WABC-TV Programming: ABC World News Now

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"World News Now" runs from 2:00am-3:30am, What happens between 3:30 and 4:30? WNN usually it runs from 3:05am-4:30am , then "America This Morning" follows. nynewsguy...How's the equipment in the studio, the cameras, etc? Are they destroyed with the set?

Kenny Plotnik, the station's news director, said that the blaze started when one of the lights in the first-floor studio burst and a curtain caught fire. A spokesman for the New York Fire Department said they were still investigating the cause.

Plotnik said the fire was put out quickly, but that it sent smoke throughout the building, forcing about 50 staff members to evacuate.

They were working on getting the station back on the air to broadcast the news at 5 a.m., he said.

They could use the Times Square Studios because its big. There are different levels. From 5am- 6am they could broadcast at the desk where GMA does. Then from 6am-7am they could just broadcast on the first level of the studio. For the other newscasts they would just take up that one main area at the news desk which would not effect The Insider.

Its easier said than done to broadcast at the Time Square studios. Broadcasting in those studios costs extra money. Money that the Station would probably not want to spend being that they've just dealt with a fire. Although it sounds pretty cool, it probably won't happen simply because of the amount of money it costs to rent in such short notice. Also not to mention the many programs that broadcast from those studios at anytime of the day.

But can the Times Square Studio support two broadcasts at once?

Since GMA uses both floors I just don't see how technically WABC and GMA could both use the Times Square studio.

ABC News Now Channel uses the World News Studio.

I would think if the WABC control room and news room are ok they would just broadcast from the news room.

If you watch some of the old WABC clips from the late 70's and early 80's they have done the broadcast from the news room.

I guess it's two problems, one is the area of the fire. The second is the water damage.

You have to wonder if they will just have to go ahead early on building the new set?

When do Regis and Kelly go on their Summer Break? I wonder if they may just go off early so the work can start?

This is the latest from WABC-TV during Eyewitness News at 5:00AM. Which is currently on air.

- EYEWITNESS NEWS at 5:00AM is on the air right now.

-Broadcasts are being done from the newsroom as originally predicted by many of us. This will perhaps be the new home for all broadcasts of EYEWITNESS NEWS untill they build the new studio. So long to High Definition broadcasts for a while.

- Accu-Weather Forecasts are being done from the Accu-Weather Center as well.

- The Fire had originated in the Eyewitness News studio. Which is now partially destroyed. A report has said that the backdrop that shows the city skyline had been melted by the flames. So significant damage there has been done. The desk however remains intact but the walls surrounding the set and the backdrop is gone.

- The Eyewitness News set sustained significant damage to the point where its repair status is debatable. The High Definition Cameras however are still marculously working.

- There are reports of leaking water which continues to leak in the studio as well a lot of wood and debris.

- The Live! With Regis and Kelly studio is actually salvageable, and is reparable. That part of the studio sustained the least amount of damage. However Today's Live! show was pre-recorded. More than likely future shows will probably not air in the studio since significant cleanup has yet to be done.

- The new set was built in January 2004, High Definition Cameras were installed in the studio in December 2006.

Other Minor Changes Noticed:

- The main bumper and other music cuts are not working. This may perhaps be fixed in the near future.

- There are also more frequent commercial breaks.

That is all that they are reporting right now which is a lot of detail, I will also post a video of the reports later today after I finish recording this broadcast.

-Vlad

Here are pictures taken directly from this Morning's broadcast. Which is still currently on the air as I'm posting this, lol. I can't post videos yet because i'm still recording the two hour broadcast right now.

27.jpg

1.jpg

10.jpg

12.jpg

14.jpg

17.jpg

2.jpg

20.jpg

21.jpg

22.jpg

23.jpg

24.jpg

27.jpg

29.jpg

3.jpg

30.jpg

31.jpg

32.jpg

33.jpg

34.jpg

35.jpg

42.jpg

45.jpg

49.jpg

50.jpg

53.jpg

54.jpg

7.jpg

This Monday Morning on Eyewitness News: Lori and Jeff in the Newsroom-Heidi Jones in Weather Center. They made this story their top story with 2 reports. Something that I find so amazing is that WABC was able to get together after all those situations of this serious cause and still deliver us the news like it was anyday even though it was not from the usual set. I really just find that so amazing and I'm wishing the best for WABC. I'm glad everyone was safe too.

With damage like that, I'm sure WABC will be in the newsroom for awhile (if they stay there) for clean up, etc., including the time that they will have to be in there for the construction of the Fall 2007 set- due to this, do you think any construction will be delayed or on schedule?

Also, how is the Regis and Kelly set- was it affected in anyway?

This Monday Morning on Eyewitness News: Lori and Jeff in the Newsroom-Heidi Jones in Weather Center. They made this story their top story with 2 reports. Something that I find so amazing is that WABC was able to get together after all those situations of this serious cause and still deliver us the news like it was anyday even though it was not from the usual set. I really just find that so amazing and I'm wishing the best for WABC. I'm glad everyone was safe too.

With damage like that, I'm sure WABC will be in the newsroom for awhile (if they stay there) for clean up, etc., including the time that they will have to be in there for the construction of the Fall 2007 set- due to this, do you think any construction will be delayed or on schedule?

morningnewsfan you're completely right,

WABC is really a brilliant station, I mean despite looking at those disturbing pictures of their partially destroyed set, they still managed to get on the air no matter what. Its really amazing how they truly represent the character and integrity and strength of a New Yorker, nothing really can get in their way. That was a New York act that they pulled off last night and this morning, lol. Its really amazing how they managed to actually get on the air despite all of this so quickly! I wasn't even expecting a 5AM broadcast, lol. I also forgot to mention that there was actually carbon monoxide in the building. Carbon Monoxide had reached to incredibly high levels yesterday night, however it they have been given the "all clear" to return to the building.

So this was really a great job on WABC's part. And overall thankfully nobody was hurt because that fire looked intense, it could've been 2 or a 3-Alarm fire by the way everything looks horribly damaged.

Despite all of that they did the news like it was any other day, so congrats to them, I really wish them all the best and I know that they'll get through this.

-Vlad

Today's episode was pre-taped for the holiday. But what happens tomorrow? Do they end-up filming without a studio audience for a while??

I am guessing that they will probably be filming from other locations, like they did last week when they were filming from New Orleans. They may probably establish a small set outdoors and broadcast from there like they did with New Orleans last week. Their set isn't as badly damaged as the Eyewitness News set is though so the recovery time for the Live! set may be a lot shorter than the Eyewitness News set.

What a shame what happened to the studio. Thankfully it wasn't any worse than what it is.

Kinda silly question, but did any other ABC O&O station mention the fire, or any other ABC station for that matter. I'd think WPVI or KABC would say something, b/c of them being sister stations.

Also, kinda weird to see a competing station like WCBS covering the story. But that is the nature of the business I guess.

-- matt

Wow. Glad no one was hurt. Man, that newsroom set is small, Lori and Jeff look really squished together. Is it the set that is small or is it because they want to get a tighter shot?

Ok, so I've seen the disaster that was the set. Um, yeah, it's all water logged, the wood is raised, and the backdrop is burned. Not to mention the smoke damage. Everything has a thick coat of soot on it.

Word is that the desk, once cleaned, will be moved to the interview portion of the studio and broadcasts will take place from there on the interim. First though, the studio itself needs MAJOR cleaning, and odor abatement. It's really stinks, and still VERY wet.

WPVI showed it on their noon newscast. I actually forgot to check here this morning, so I found out about all this from Action News. With all the damage, it looks a miracle that no one was hurt.

Archived