Fire At WABC-TV Destroys The Eyewitness News Studio

Vlad

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Only one word, wow! But as always, WABC is on the air no matter what, also does the move of Live studios will start now? Also it's a great idea that they are moving the news desk to the interview room. But where now, UpClose get taped?

Even the gutted set in which they used to have was amazingly small and felt really tight, so imagine the newsroom. And by the looks of it, it looks like that set will be inoperable for the many upcoming weeks to come. They are extremely lucky that sweeps is now over. Anyway The newsroom set actually doesn't look that bad, they really should actually build a set in there and use it as a temporary set for the time being untill they fully restore Studio 7 and the new upcoming set in the Fall. But again, really tough and difficult to see the station go through this, but they still pulled it off regardless with their perseverance and their charisma. As for the other stations reporting on this, they would have to because it is the news. WABC-TV actually became the news. WCBS and WNBC also did a nice job doing this, especially since many WNBC talents originally were from WABC. WABC also covered the crashed chopper of WNBC. It is definitely the nature of the business, although they are competitors, they are not enemies, lol.

As for now we can probably expect to see the newsroom set continue to be in use for the long distant future pr at least until the desk which thankfully was not damaged to be moved to the interview section, being that the current set will probably be demolished, and more than likely the new set will perhaps be constructed. Or perhaps they may establish a temporary set somewhere in the corner while the huge set is being built or something, lol. We'll have to wait as time goes on to see what exactly will happen.

What a shame what happened to the studio. Thankfully it wasn't any worse than what it is.

Kinda silly question, but did any other ABC O&O station mention the fire, or any other ABC station for that matter. I'd think WPVI or KABC would say something, b/c of them being sister stations.

Also, kinda weird to see a competing station like WCBS covering the story. But that is the nature of the business I guess.

-- matt

Click This Link For WNBC's Coverage (Video)

It's not a silly question but I checked KABC and so far on the website I have not seen anything related to this story.

On WPVI's website, they have AP videos and among them- this story is listed however WPVI itself does not reference anything related to this story.

WABC also covered the crashed chopper of WNBC. It is definitely the nature of the business, although they are competitors, they are not enemies, lol.

Vlad, I was actually just thinking of that when I saw WNBC's coverage. Yes, they are not enemies lol and if you see the link above, Pat mentions WABC as "our colleagues..."

What a shame what happened to the studio. Thankfully it wasn't any worse than what it is.

Kinda silly question, but did any other ABC O&O station mention the fire, or any other ABC station for that matter. I'd think WPVI or KABC would say something, b/c of them being sister stations.

Also, kinda weird to see a competing station like WCBS covering the story. But that is the nature of the business I guess.

-- matt

This link is WNBC Today In New York's Coverage of this story.http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=112068

It's not a silly question but I checked KABC and so far on the website I have not seen anything related to this story.

On WPVI's website, they have AP videos and among them- this story is listed however WPVI itself does not reference anything related to this story.

I checked KABC's website as well and you are right there is nothing there mentioning the WABC fire at all.

As mentioned the news room cam and the weather center and graphics where HD but the playback of the news intros were SD.

Did they used any on screen graphics or images while the anchors did intros to other stories?

Judging from some of the pics of the fire damage, it looked like some of their computer servers and wiring were damaged. This is the method of digital delivery for OTA HD; I'm guessing this is why programming is in SD...

-- matt

This link is WNBC Today In New York's Coverage of this story.http://video.wnbc.com/player/?id=112068

I checked KABC's website as well and you are right there is nothing there mentioning the WABC fire at all.

I checked WLS and they not mention WABC fire on there website.

I also think that WNYW also covered the fire well, Here is link to their coverage,

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=3332221&version=1&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

It always amazing when a station comes back from situations like a fire and make a newscast using the equipment they have left for the time being.

As mentioned the news room cam and the weather center and graphics where HD but the playback of the news intros were SD.

Did they used any on screen graphics or images while the anchors did intros to other stories?

WABC did not use any on screen graphics or images. The anchors told about the story and video showed the story. At noon the open was in HD.

Here are two videos of this morning's 5AM coverage of the fires.

Part 1 - 5:00AM Block

[yt=425,350]K4z29Eqr-i8[/yt]

Part 2 - 5:30AM Block

[yt=425,350]rCq9iZGq-T8[/yt]

Lisa Collagrossi and Ken Rosato report and survey the damage of that the fire caused to the studio and how they got back on the air immediately. In the videos, this morning, the news cut bumpers were not working. Which is why you notice that cut off after the opens of both videos instead of the usual bumper that plays. You can also see Heidi Jones evacuating the studio as well in both of the videos in Lisa's report.

-Vlad

I agree, I'm sure the insurance would cover most of it, also WABC is about 2 buildings down from the ABC News studios, you have to cross from the Columbus Building into the 77W building and cross to the 47W building. I can't see them using WNT's studios, or rather WN (since they dropped the Tonight) because its in use at 12:30 for the live web cast and 6:30 for WN, throw in pre-pro and set up for both of those shows and that would cause MAJOR interference. Plus its not like all the gfx and such are cued into their studios. I think the temporary studio is likely their best option until the new studio is built

Vlad, I was actually just thinking of that when I saw WNBC's coverage. Yes, they are not enemies lol and if you see the link above, Pat mentions WABC as "our colleagues..."

Even though the all compete, they're friends behind the scenes.

Iceman thanks for posting those shots, you know its still really difficult (for me at least) to look at those pictures and to see the heavilly damaged set and the set just that same evening its like you would've never thought that could happen within a few hours, lol.

Another question .....

How long do you think b4 the studio at Channel 7 is back up and running (with the studio re-construction)? Are we looking at 3 to 6 months? Or longer?

-- Matt

I don't have any confirmed details, but I am speculating based on the reports of the reporters and the damage of the station that it could perhaps be throughout the whole summer. Perhaps a temporary set will be established before them. But as for the main studio and reconstruction that could probably last throughout the whole summer. Because all the wires and cameras and many other things were simply damaged. But they'll get through it, this is nothing comparing to what other stations in this country has gone through. Some stations have been burned down to the ground and still managed to get on the air the very next day. So it is nothing to really worry about, it is the extent of the damage however that is the shocker though. Because the set is basically destroyed and inoperable. So its very sad that they have to go through this. I don't think ratings will suffer much because many of us already know that ABC 7 is watched out of habit here in the Tri-State area and plus they have many loyal fans like most of us here in this thread, lol. So I doubt ratings will suffer much, but their aestheticism (Graphics and overall looks) which we have already been talking about during the past weeks, is effected several times more. They'll get through it, life goes on, no one got hurt and that is the best thing overall. Insurance will cover it so its not like they have to pay a lot of money out of their pockets. And look on the bright side, we are that much closer to the

"ultimate set" in the New York Market! This could only mean that they will get things started even faster than we all originally predicted! ;) They can start rebuilding everything now, and I'm throwing my bets that we could perhaps see the new set probably as early as September or even late August.

Iceman thanks for posting those shots, you know its still really difficult (for me at least) to look at those pictures and to see the heavilly damaged set and the set just that same evening its like you would've never thought that could happen within a few hours, lol.

Another question .....

How long do you think b4 the studio at Channel 7 is back up and running (with the studio re-construction)? Are we looking at 3 to 6 months? Or longer?

-- Matt

I don't have any confirmed details, but I am speculating based on the reports of the reporters and the damage of the station that it could perhaps be throughout the whole summer. Perhaps a temporary set will be established before them. But as for the main studio and reconstruction that could probably last throughout the whole summer. Because all the wires and cameras and many other things were simply damaged. But they'll get through it, this is nothing comparing to what other stations in this country has gone through. Some stations have been burned down to the ground and still managed to get on the air the very next day. So it is nothing to really worry about, it is the extent of the damage however that is the shocker though. Because the set is basically destroyed and inoperable. So its very sad that they have to go through this. I don't think ratings will suffer much because many of us already know that ABC 7 is watched out of habit here in the Tri-State area and plus they have many loyal fans like most of us here in this thread, lol. So I doubt ratings will suffer much, but their aestheticism (Graphics and overall looks) which we have already been talking about during the past weeks, is effected several times more. They'll get through it, life goes on, no one got hurt and that is the best thing overall. Insurance will cover it so its not like they have to pay a lot of money out of their pockets. And look on the bright side, we are that much closer to the

"ultimate set" in the New York Market! This could only mean that they will get things started even faster than we all originally predicted! ;) They can start rebuilding everything now, and I'm throwing my bets that we could perhaps see the new set probably as early as September or even late August.

Question: Does the expected move of Live studios, will occur now or later?

It does have really great skyline views though.

This is the first time i've ever seen the skyline picture in the interview area, it looks nice, why didn't use this one for the backdrop for the studio instead of the faded one that was damaged?

It does have really great skyline views though.

This is the first time i've ever seen the skyline picture in the interview area, it looks nice, why didn't use this one for the backdrop for the studio instead of the faded one that was damaged?

I think that was the intention to have the glass or plexiglass diffuse the look of the skyline behind them:

wabc12020608th4.th.jpg

I bet if you removed the glass it would be very clear.

The interview set does change from sunrise to sunset to dark as well. They could froget about that and just start building the new set earlier. I don't think the news room will last long. Or if it does they might make a small set. Its just way to small. I can't wait to see what they do tonight for Sports or for 7 on call. I don't seem to understand why they can't use Times Square for free. Its almost like an emergency.

Archived