Fire At WABC-TV Destroys The Eyewitness News Studio

Vlad

Well as of right now it sure is, because I'm trying to watch the 11PM Eyewitness News via cable (IO Digital Cable from Cablevision) and all I get is a blank screen. This is also the case for their digital channel and the HD channel (Ch. 107-DT and 707-HD on IO Digital Cable) as well. Anyone else experiencing this? All the other channels work. Except for ABC 7.

EDIT: WCBS and WNBC have reported that there is a fire in the Eyewitness News Studio (Studio 7). Both channels CBS 2 and NBC 4, say that the fire has been under control and no one was reported to be hurt by this. The fire had started during the broadcast of Eyewitness News and all WABC-TV operations were shut down moments after the fire was reported.

I just called WABC myself to see what was going on, I got an answer saying "They Are Working On It".

-Vlad

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow Really? This is very serious, I hope no one gets hurt by this situation. Very awful news. WCBS has just reported that the whole ABC building is affected by this fire.

WNBC just reported that everyone from the WABC building was ordered to leave and that people next door in the ABC Building can smell the smoke.

For those who don't know the network building at 77 West 66th is next to the WABC Buildling. I believe they share a common wall.

This update from someone at the DSLReports.com forum:

WNBC is reporting that an overhead light blew right before the newscast setting a part of the set on fire. There's a heavy smoke condition inside the building and they said they believe the news set is heavily damaged. This doesn't bode well for tomorrow morning's newscast and the Regis and Kelly show as well.

Now confirmation from WABC:

Eyewitness News

(New York- WABC, May 27, 2007) - A fire at the WABC-TV studio has caused a suspension in programming on Channel 7.

There is smoke and water damage to the WABC-TV studio on Columbus Avenue. There are no reports of any injuries in the fire.

It hit just before 11:00 p.m. on Sunday night.

Please check here http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=local&id=5344574

for further information.

(Copyright 2007 WABC-TV)

This from Newsday:

NEW YORK -- Fire officials said there was a smoke condition and sprinkler activation at the WABC-TV main building in New York City on Sunday night.

The television network's Sunday night broadcast was interrupted since at least 11 p.m.

A woman who answered the phone at WABC-TV refused to answer questions. "I can't talk about it right now," she said. "I'm not a publicist."

She did not give her name. Messages left for the network's publicist were not immediately returned.

If they can't use the WABC studio where could they relocate to as a backup?

They will probably use their Newsroom untill a new set is built or built a smaller temporary set for the time being untill they can perhaps repair the damaged set untill everything is started a new in Fall 2007.

Didn't this happen before? I remember watching the news (within 3 years ago) about a fire at the station.

Latest From WCBS:

Fire Knocks WABC-TV Off Air

No Injuries, Sprinkler System Reportedly Activated

(CBS) NEW YORK Fire officials said there was a smoke condition and sprinkler activation at the WABC-TV main building in New York City on West 66th Street and Columbus Avenue on Sunday night. CBS 2 HD has learned the fire started in the studio where "Live With Regis And Kelly" is filmed.

The television network's Sunday night broadcast was interrupted a little after 11 p.m. The building has been evacuated, and there are no reported injuries at this time.

Jeffrey Schneider, a spokesman for ABC News, confirmed there was a fire at the WABC-TV studio, which had caused programming to be suspended.

"Everyone has been basically evacuated," he said. "The fire department is on the scene and working on putting out the fire."

He said only the New York broadcast was interrupted and that they were "working to put something on the air."

In a subsequent call, Schneider said fire officials at the scene told him the blaze was under control. The New York Fire Department could not immediately be reached.

There were no reports of injuries in the fire. The WABC-TV Web site reported that there was smoke and water damage to the studio

Please stay with CBS 2 HD and wcbstv.com for more on this developing story.

Ch7 had color bars with WABCTV text ID.

The HD feed 7.1 had the color bars you see when there is no programming on the ABC network feed.

At 1:04am Just now both channels just switched to the ABC West cost feed.

I guess at 2am they will switch back to ABC East feed for World News Now.

I would expect the fire would be a top story. I'll try and record it if they mention it.

Yes Right Now we are viewing programing from KABC-TV Los Angeles. It would be pretty cool if we could actually watch a newscast from LA, lol. By 2:05 as Iceman mentioned ABC World News Now will be on and more than likely WABC will switch to that programming. More than likely at 5:00am the broadcast will be in the "Newsroom" at least untill the set is repaired. Accu-Weather forecasts will more than likely be done in the "Accu-Weather Center" likewise. There was no mention of the newsroom being affected by the fire so they will probably broadcast their newscasts from that portion of the building for the time being. But if there is indeed water damage, (sprinkler system) if it is even possible to repair at this point, it could take months. So they might as well just de-construct the heavily damaged set and begin the process building the new massive set that we've all been talking and speculating about and broadcast from the newsroom until that new massive set is finished.

Actually it's the direct westcoast feed as you see PSA's run during the local ad breaks.

If they don't switch to the east cost feed at 2am an ABC test pattern will show up on screen.

Yeah you're right. At this time KABC-TV's Eyewitness News is now starting. There is a blank screen right now again, so the station cannot air any local programming at this point. By the way it looks, there perhaps may not be any newscast later This Morning.

I just spoke with people at the station. It does NOT look good. I haven't seen it myself obviously, but I knew something was wrong when my TV went dark at 11PM. Supposedly, the fire wasn't the problem as much as the water. The set was um, for lack of a better word, destroyed. Well, it's about a month too early, but hell, I guess it gives all the more reason to start the construction.

I have no idea where broadcasts will take place from until things are fixed. My guess is the newsroom as others have mentioned, which will make the newscasts look like crap, but, ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I guess we can say thanks that no one was hurt. I guess it's semi good timing that Monday is a holiday so the city will not be as active.

I can't understand why World News Now would not even mention the fire and that WABC is not able to run local programming?

I will lay you odds WABC will re-locate to the upper studio of the Times Square Studio Complex until repairs can be made to the set. The Insider will just have to re-locate. Perhaps they'll relocate to a seedy motel by the Newark Airport, that'd suite them just fine. In any case, Thank god May sweeps are over, otherwise this would have screwed WABC over in the ratings big time.

In the case of the other shows, Regis and Kelly will probably be off the air until they can secure adequate studio space for the show.

Archived