Good Morning America

Action Newsroom

This is a not so smart move in my opinion. I think this is more of a money thing than anything because I wouldn't leave a show that's at least have another 5 years if more for a position at GMA they could essentially get rid of if the show goes into a different direction. Don't become Josh 2.0 which I think they are doing.

OK.......So.... How are LIVE's ratings?????? They can't be THAT bad!!! Why take Micheal off of LIVE if He's been a big draw for that show?? SOMEBODY at DISNEY/ABC is not thinking clearly! I'm seeing more and more of it! It NEEDS to stop!

I can't fathom Kelly and LIVE being happy about this unless their hands are tied???

• Like 1

OK.......So.... How are LIVE's ratings?????? They can't be THAT bad!!! Why take Micheal off of LIVE if He's been a big draw for that show?? SOMEBODY at DISNEY/ABC is not thinking clearly! I'm seeing more and more of it! It NEEDS to stop!

I can't fathom Kelly and LIVE being happy about this unless their hands are tied???

No one is "taking Michael off of LIVE." The reports seem to indicate that this is his choice to leave LIVE. My guess is ABC probably offered him a big payroll increase to come to GMA full time.

Keep in mind that LIVE is not an ABC show. Although it airs on primarily ABC stations, it is actually produced by WABC and distributed by Disney-ABC Domestic Television -- in other words, it is a syndicated show.

• Like 1

No one is "taking Michael off of LIVE." The reports seem to indicate that this is his choice to leave LIVE. My guess is ABC probably offered him a big payroll increase to come to GMA full time.

Keep in mind that LIVE is not an ABC show. Although it airs on primarily ABC stations, it is actually produced by WABC and distributed by Disney-ABC Domestic Television -- in other words, it is a syndicated show.

Well, by offering him a salary increase, they essentially did take him off, or at least that was an intended consequence.

Yes, LIVE is not an ABC network show, however, it is an ABC property as it is produced and distributed (via syndication) by different arms of the Disney/ABC family. It airs on all the ABC O&Os, and most of the stations that carry it are ABC affiliated, particularly in the bigger DMAs. So it seems like they are weakening one property to strengthen another. All this has me wondering if GMA is planning on expanding into the 9am hour (essentially pushing back LIVE to the 10am hour on most affiliates). I doubt they would cancel it as it's already been renewed through 2020, and has great ratings (I believe it's #1 or #2 among syndicated shows). I don't believe Rachael Ray (CBS property that airs on a lot of ABC affiliates) has been renewed or canceled yet, so that may provide an extra hour depending on what happens with it.

Another thing to remember is Strahan's workload. During the NFL season, he also works for Fox, making it where he had 3 gigs and he could have wanted to drop one of his gigs, considering Fox's NFL program is based in Los Angeles, while Live and GMA are based in New York. To ease his travel ,he can appear out of Los Angeles on Mondays for GMA during NFL season, while for Live to work, both hosts need to be in studio together.

Another thing to remember is Strahan's workload. During the NFL season, he also works for Fox, making it where he had 3 gigs and he could have wanted to drop one of his gigs, considering Fox's NFL program is based in Los Angeles, while Live and GMA are based in New York. To ease his travel ,he can appear out of Los Angeles on Mondays for GMA during NFL season, while for Live to work, both hosts need to be in studio together.

I feel like FOX NFL Sunday would have been the logical one to drop, as the only traveling he would then have to do is from GMA's studios to LIVE's studios. However, I believe the bigger factor was for him to be more available for GMA (5 days vs 2 days AND entire 2 hours vs just first hour).

The only way this makes sense to me is if it is meant to lay the groundwork for Lara's departure. Michael takes on more of the lighthearted stuff as Lara's role continues to be reduced, until the next headline reads "Lara decides to move on for other opportunities." That's the possibility I'm envisioning right now. I have a hard time picturing the plausibility of having six anchors full-time for the long-haul.

The only way this makes sense to me is if it is meant to lay the groundwork for Lara's departure. Michael takes on more of the lighthearted stuff as Lara's role continues to be reduced, until the next headline reads "Lara decides to move on for other opportunities." That's the possibility I'm envisioning right now. I have a hard time picturing the plausibility of having six anchors full-time for the long-haul.

Today has 7 (Matt, Savannah, Natalie, Al, Willie, Tamron, and Carson), so I don't see them having 6 full-time anchors as a problem or as laying the groundwork for Lara's departure.

They've got to realize by now that the overload on entertainment is just not going to work. My bet is that you're correct, they're laying the groundwork for Lara's departure. Two strictly fluff anchors is not the direction the show has been moving to in the last few weeks. The article from The Washington Post says that they're looking for star power and Michael runs laps around Lara in that category. Not to mention, she's just not good. I'm so tired of her always in your face persona and the ABC executives are morons for allowing her such a huge role on the show. Her contract renewal in 2014, was for 3 years. So the end of this year could be the perfect time to dump her.

According to this article, Kelly Ripa was kept in the dark about Michael's departure and there was growing tension behind the scenes between the two hosts.

But the jump to “GMA,” ABC’s flagship morning show, represents a major promotion for Strahan, a retired NFL star.

“He wanted to make the move,” the source said, adding that Strahan, who has been a frequent “GMA” guest in the past two years, wanted the opportunity to pursue a greater range of stories and topics than he could pursue on “Live.”

There may be tension on set as well. “Kelly has been very moody and emotional the past couple of years and Strahan was dreading going to work,” said one high-ranking daytime TV veteran who insisted on anonymity.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/kelly-ripa-kept-dark-michael-strahan-sprinted-gma-215801290.html

http://www.tvguide.com/news/kelly-ripa-michael-strahan-protest/

Well this story just seems to be getting awkwarder by the day. Supposedly Kelly sat out in protest on today's show as she was not notified ahead of time of his decision. Wow, they have to work together another 3-4 months.

This whole things has been poorly planned from the beginning.

1. Not notifying co-host ahead of time.

2. Having him exit at end of summer. Better bet would have been for them to give him his swan song at the end of May and use the summer to test out co-hosts so they could start September with a new co-host. Instead, they will start September with rotating co-hosts, and based on the last two times they searched for a new co-host, may have to sit through a year of that.

3. I understand the want to strengthen your morning show, but why do it by weakening one of your other shows (yes, I know it technically isn't a network show)?

4. The article also includes the notion that GMA may be looking to extending until 10am. If this is the case, it would be smart to move LIVE to 10am sandwiched in between GMA and THE VIEW (not sure how that would work in C/M/P time zones). It would be stupid to cancel the show as it performs extremely well in the ratings, and ABC should know how hard it is to get a successful talk show (Katie, FabLife, The Revolution, among others).

• Like 1

Like I said in the Chat box. This isn't turning out good. People are confused and upset (including me). This is what happens when the higher ups say hey let's get Michael and bring him to GMA, offer him a lot of money and keep this hush hush. It was a bad PR move from every angle. I still believe Michael is going to be Josh 2.0 and get lost in oblivion in the next 2 years. I don't see how he will be there long. You know how morning shows are. To me Lara and Michael positions are not permenant. If the show decides in 2 years, let's focus on hard news. Well what's the point of both Lara and Michael.

Well he doesn't necessarily owe Kelly anything and technically he told her before the official announcement was made regardless of how long before he did it. She's not his boss or his immediate supervisor. If his bosses told him to keep quiet about it then that's what he should do. Also how plausible is it that one network show was taking a personality from another and Gelman/Kelly seriously heard nothing about it? Does anyone on here actually watch LIVE? It's not nearly as good as it was when they teamed up 4 years ago. She treats him more like a sidekick than a cohost. Doesn't LIVE go on a hiatus during the summer time? Everyone has their opinions on how this has been planned and carried out, and none of you guys in reality have any clue. I'm seriously not seeing the big deal, he announced that he's leaving one show on the same network technically for another. What is the harm in this? The chemistry between him and the GMA people has blossomed and is pretty good. Read social media, most trending topics are people voicing their grievances regarding how disappointed they are in Kelly for not being there today for Michael.

Lastly, GMA is obviously not going to be a strictly news program anytime soon. The most prosperous periods in the shows history have been when they've been a good mix between news and entertainment. Therefore there will be a place for Michael for a long time to come. A few reports are that Robin, George and Michael will become the face of the program and are safe. Which means Amy, Ginger or Lara could be in danger.

• Like 3

This PR is definitely not turning out well. Dumb on Bob Iger's part to keep this from Kelly and the "Live" staff.

That said, I still think Michael will fit in very well at GMA, he already has such great chemistry with the team and it will only grow stronger with him there 5 days a week.

• Like 5

Apparently Kelly didn't show up to work today because she very Angry. But at who>

How about just be a adult and show up to work? If I recall Regis didn't tell her ahead of time that he was leaving but yet she showed up the next day.

There words that ABC could be planning a Third Hour of GMA and so Disney would cut LIVE! a few years short and kelly Contract expired in 2020 and so she was probably only yesterday told of this plan.

There is more to this story I feel

• Like 1

Well he doesn't necessarily owe Kelly anything and technically he told her before the official announcement was made regardless of how long before he did it. She's not his boss or his immediate supervisor. If his bosses told him to keep quiet about it then that's what he should do. Also how plausible is it that one network show was taking a personality from another and Gelman/Kelly seriously heard nothing about it? Does anyone on here actually watch LIVE? It's not nearly as good as it was when they teamed up 4 years ago. She treats him more like a sidekick than a cohost. Doesn't LIVE go on a hiatus during the summer time? Everyone has their opinions on how this has been planned and carried out, and none of you guys in reality have any clue. I'm seriously not seeing the big deal, he announced that he's leaving one show on the same network technically for another. What is the harm in this? The chemistry between him and the GMA people has blossomed and is pretty good. Read social media, most trending topics are people voicing their grievances regarding how disappointed they are in Kelly for not being there today for Michael.

Lastly, GMA is obviously not going to be a strictly news program anytime soon. The most prosperous periods in the shows history have been when they've been a good mix between news and entertainment. Therefore there will be a place for Michael for a long time to come. A few reports are that Robin, George and Michael will become the face of the program and are safe. Which means Amy, Ginger or Lara could be in danger.

Relax it was just the PR. I still think he could have gave her more of a heads up. Granite he doesn't owe her anything but if you are going to be there for a few more months then he could've told her. If she become sour than let her. She's human. I'm sick of people always saying its the business. But when it isn't happening to you its different. I've been put in a similar position, on a much smaller scale. Its hurtful and I don't blame her not being there today. Because people were ready to see there reaction and even if she was supportive it would still be a store about how it's all fake. Its a damned if you do, damned if you don't for both in this situation.

• Like 2

I'm sure the executives at ABC are quietly hoping that Ripa throws tantrums and sits out for a while, since that will only make it THAT much easier to get rid of her and cancel the show altogether. And if she were to sit out for no valid reason, wouldn't that violate her contract...?

People seem to be forgetting that ABC is the boss. What they say goes. If Kelly didn't like how everything went down, then the door is always open for her to leave-- no one is forcing her to stay. Yes, it may have been nice for her to be notified before hand (if she wasn't), but with negotiations going on, I doubt Strahan or his agent/rep could say anything before things were finalized.

And, if i'm not mistaken... Wasn't Ripa also offered a role on GMA a few years back? Which IIRC, she turned down???

^ you are correct. She was initially offered the GMA role over Michael but she turned it down. ABC approached Michael and that turned out to be an incredible choice of there's.

Also, the Washington Post and New York Daily News are now reporting that Kelly and executives had known for months about the upcoming transition. The blindsiding is "nonsense"

• Like 1

I'm sure the executives at ABC are quietly hoping that Ripa throws tantrums and sits out for a while, since that will only make it THAT much easier to get rid of her and cancel the show altogether. And if she were to sit out for no valid reason, wouldn't that violate her contract...?

People seem to be forgetting that ABC is the boss. What they say goes. If Kelly didn't like how everything went down, then the door is always open for her to leave-- no one is forcing her to stay. Yes, it may have been nice for her to be notified before hand (if she wasn't), but with negotiations going on, I doubt Strahan or his agent/rep could say anything before things were finalized.

And, if i'm not mistaken... Wasn't Ripa also offered a role on GMA a few years back? Which IIRC, she turned down???

^ you are correct. She was initially offered the GMA role over Michael but she turned it down. ABC approached Michael and that turned out to be an incredible choice of there's.

I will repeat that canceling LIVE is a stupid move. It's one of the top rated daytime shows (might be the top rated).

As for her being offered a position, this is news to me. I don't recall any of that. I remember them wanting more testosterone on the show after Sam and Josh left, hence why Michael was brought on.

I often think that people need to get over themselves when they get mad, but I think in this situationshe was justified in taking the day off. While ABC is not obligated to give any notification, they should have given her the common courtesy.