ABC World News Tonight

BehindNYNews

I'd imagine he's on like a 10 to 12-hour window of availability, say like 6 or 7am when GMA starts to like 5 or 6pm (ET) when all east coasters go to local news and David begins to prep for WNT. If my serves me well, Peter Jennings would be around and available in a similar type of span, not popping up for reports until after the GMA crew was off the hook, and he'd be around (when warranted, under "normal" circumstances) til 11pm when affiliates would go to late news. Where the GMA anchors of old would cover morning special reports, David Muir now does the same in the evening hours.

While it's not a big deal considering it was Thanksgiving week, WNT won last week in the demo beating Lester for the first time in four months.

http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/evening-news-ratings-week-of-nov-23-and-november-sweeps/278549

I'd imagine he's on like a 10 to 12-hour window of availability, say like 6 or 7am when GMA starts to like 5 or 6pm (ET) when all east coasters go to local news and David begins to prep for WNT. If my serves me well, Peter Jennings would be around and available in a similar type of span, not popping up for reports until after the GMA crew was off the hook, and he'd be around (when warranted, under "normal" circumstances) til 11pm when affiliates would go to late news. Where the GMA anchors of old would cover morning special reports, David Muir now does the same in the evening hours.

I've even seen George come in during prime time sometimes. George did a special report a few weeks ago at 7:30pm est when David Muir could have easily just done it since it was right after WNT. So George is definitely taking his chief anchor roll seriously.

the interesting thing about 9/11 was that Charles Gibson said that at one point they were asking him to stand by to replace Peter Jennings because it was going to be a long day and night. Turned out to be correct but Peter just kept going until Elizabeth Vargas came in around midnight

Really, though, all three networks' special report graphics are bad. NBC's are serviceable, but VERY outdated. The latest CBS package is pretty bad, and doesn't go with any of the network's other well-designed looks (but the CBS This Morning graphics blow chunks compared to the earlier packs). As for ABC, they haven't had a good look in that department since 2009 (1/2) or 2010, if you count the FIRST version based off WN's '09 pack (before they tweaked the scale, fonts, and coloring). Seeing as this year's revamp of World News Tonight is a huge step up from the red, white and puke look, I'm optimistic that new special report graphics should be an improvement, and I'd imagine we'll see a change by the State of the Union next month...if not before then.

• Like 1

Really, though, all three networks' special report graphics are bad. NBC's are serviceable, but VERY outdated. The latest CBS package is pretty bad, and doesn't go with any of the network's other well-designed looks (but the CBS This Morning graphics blow chunks compared to the earlier packs). As for ABC, they haven't had a good look in that department since 2009 (1/2) or 2010, if you count the FIRST version based off WN's '09 pack (before they tweaked the scale, fonts, and coloring). Seeing as this year's revamp of World News Tonight is a huge step up from the red, white and puke look, I'm optimistic that new special report graphics should be an improvement, and I'd imagine we'll see a change by the State of the Union next month...if not before then.

What about Fox News' special report graphics?

Can't judge what I don't watch. If what I'd think they look like is anything close to reality, they're probably not good.

Basically you're saying that all the 4 networks’ special report graphics suck. I do agree with NBC News' special report graphics. They should at least have an update to their current graphics

• Like 1

I'll just put this here...

As a few of ABC's news programs have been given updated graphics, their election branding is seeing a makeover, too. Gone are the stacked bars and narrow type of the previous look, and is, in my opinion, an improvement...even if the brand itself is kind of silly...

yvyv_2016_logo@2x.png

I'll just put this here...

yvyv_2016_logo@2x.png

That is a great logo. Miles better than the last.

The narrow logo and bars in the background got really grating to me, so I'm glad this change happened. This font looks way better suited for the network's politics coverage than the last; but other than "it really didn't age well" and "it got more stale", I don't have a good explanation for that (maybe that's it). And the simple look and that star piece in the middle looks awesome. Great job to the graphics department.

• Like 1

That is a great logo. Miles better than the last.

The narrow logo and bars in the background got really grating to me, so I'm glad this change happened. This font looks way better suited for the network's politics coverage than the last; but other than "it really didn't age well" and "it got more stale", I don't have a good explanation for that (maybe that's it). And the simple look and that star piece in the middle looks awesome. Great job to the graphics department.

Even the font colors they use represent the Republicans and Democrats

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

George is anchoring a special report right now, and the graphics have indeed been updated. They've done away with the red/white/blue remnants from the old WN package. The fonts are in line with the new WNT package and the colors are darker -- more blue, and more similar to the special report package prior to the red/white/blue.

• Like 2

Impressive. It's not in-your-face or bright and colorful, and is perfectly darkened with great amounts of blues and red, with a globe image that fondly reminds me of the open from early into the Diane Saywer era of WNT.

A great improvement. ABC really stepped up with their graphics in time for election season, and that is fantastic.

• Like 1

A much needed improvement! Even though, I wish ABC didn't confine everything in the middle but rather stretch the L3 more evenly throughout the screen.

I totally agree but even then, this is much better than the previous look.