WPIX debuts brand New Graphics, Opens

NYNewsCoverage

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first day was different. Here is the one from the first day...

Well, that clip was from Wednesday's 10 p.m. broadcast, which had used the extended version of the main theme.

This is was what was used as the close on the 5 p.m. Wednesday (the quality of the audio is not great, but the uploader shot it via a smartphone or regular camera, so you have to listen very closely):

Well, that clip was from Wednesday's 10 p.m. broadcast, which had used the extended version of the main theme.

This is was what was used as the close on the 5 p.m. Wednesday (the quality of the audio is not great, but the uploader shot it via a smartphone or regular camera, so you have to listen very closely):

Yeah that's the video that I shot, so I apologize for the poor quality of the video. As you can tell, I don't have a very expensive camera with great audio. But the 5PM close has used that theme since the debut. On the first day during the 10pm, they used the orchestral version of the close, but last night during the 10pm, they used the 'rock-NG version' of the custom package. I personally like both versions, but I only like certain parts of the orchestral version.

For how long has PIX 11 been using Google Maps for maps? Looks incredibly amateur.

Yeah, that really annoys me as well. They really should use google earth or one of the better maps that the other stations use. They have probably been using google maps ever since they revamped their newscasts back in 2010, but I could be wrong.

On an unrelated note, they used the orchestral version for the close at 5pm today, but they faded it. And the 'NG rock sounding cut' as I guess I should call it was nowhere to be found. It seems as if PIX can't make up its mind. They really should be more consistent on the cuts they use.

On an unrelated note, they used the orchestral version for the close at 5pm today, but they faded it. And the 'NG rock sounding cut' as I guess I should call it was nowhere to be found. It seems as if PIX can't make up its mind. They really should be more consistent on the cuts they use.

Not just that, but WPIX has one of the best closes in the history of television news (I'd rank it with WPVI's Move Closer To Your World anthem, Gari's Great News, and News in Focus AM). It's still as good as it was in 1998, so why not use it (if only for the close)?

Not just that, but WPIX has one of the best closes in the history of television news (I'd rank it with WPVI's Move Closer To Your World anthem, Gari's Great News, and News in Focus AM). It's still as good as it was in 1998, so why not use it (if only for the close)?

You mean this one, Hulkie?

Tonight during the 1st 'coming up' bumper during the 10pm newscast they had a new cut of the custom music package. I really liked it, much better than the other orchestral version in my view. It reminds me of WNBC's LA groove bumper a little. I'll have to see if they use it more during the newscast.

What's going on there today? They weren't on the main set. Suki and Kori were at the podium looking thing infront of a different area. Which looked good on the 2 shot since the screens are flatter.. Apparently Dan and Marysol stood the whole show? And at one point during the 6:30 portion during a weather hit Linda church was off screen and said were going to show just the graphics cause the lights went out. They were fine after that. But the anchors are cramped at the table and when a 3rd person sits it looks really bad

What's going on there today? They weren't on the main set. Suki and Kori were at the podium looking thing infront of a different area. Which looked good on the 2 shot since the screens are flatter.. Apparently Dan and Marysol stood the whole show? And at one point during the 6:30 portion during a weather hit Linda church was off screen and said were going to show just the graphics cause the lights went out. They were fine after that. But the anchors are cramped at the table and when a 3rd person sits it looks really bad

It could have something to to with this: http://www.rew-online.com/2013/09/05/tribune-taps-team-for-wpix-role/

They closed out tonight's newscast with a new cut, with a familiar sounding tune (similar to original theme). I guess we can confirm that this new package can be considered NG.

• 2 weeks later...

Tonight they used a long close very similar to the one used in this video from 1996, if not this exact cut. And finally, they didn't fade it. It played right until the end! It's still not the one that everybody remembers, but probably the 2nd most popular cut, that has a very similar feel. It's so nice to hear this again!

They closed out tonight's newscast with a new cut, with a familiar sounding tune (similar to original theme). I guess we can confirm that this new package can be considered NG.

I think the cut you are referring to is the one with the 1996 signature (played with chimes, right?) The opening of that cut has the same orchestral tune/chord as the 1998-2010 news open though....so it's probably not NG.

Tonight they used a long close very similar to the one used in this video from 1996, if not this exact cut. And finally, they didn't fade it. It played right until the end! It's still not the one that everybody remembers, but probably the 2nd most popular cut, that has a very similar feel. It's so nice to hear this again!

footage (from tonight that is) or it didn't happen. ;) (at this point, I feel like someone should dvr each night and post all the closes at this moment with whatever cut(s) they're using 'cause i feel like i'm missing out amazing moment to hear particular closes)

• 1 month later...

I just realized that the "Andy's Hot List" open during the PIX Morning News uses a cut from WGN's custom music pacakge (I think).

Listen at 9:55 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGjlpHdsJA&list=UUzqpvO3cxishuzqmx09tnLA

Listen to WGN's open here:

Yup, I think you're right. Looks like there is a trend among Tribune stations, because KCPQ also used Chicago's Very Own in a segment.

http://q13fox.com/2014/06/04/yes-reporters-anchors-help-ducks-cross-the-road/#axzz351F9m4RD

I like how they brought that open sequence back.. ("Good Morning I'm .... And this is coming up...) however I feel they need more intense music to pass the feel they're trying to make.

Yeah, I noticed that too. Now all they need is the old "wb11 morning news" package to make it perfect.

PS: If anyone is bored and wants to do a resynch, I'd be thrilled if someone could resynch the open in this video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzGjlpHdsJA&list=UUzqpvO3cxishuzqmx09tnLA) with the wb11 morning news bumper (http://www.newsmusicnow.com/player.php?id=3/wb11morningnews/wb11bumper.mp3&t=WB11%20Morning%20News%20-%20Bumper) and the primary theme from the wb11 morning news (http://www.newsmusicnow.com/player.php?id=3/wb11morningnews/wb11primarytheme.mp3&t=WB11%20Morning%20News%20-%20Primary%20Theme). I'd love to do it myself, but the quality on my camera is horrible. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I love the hints of the old news theme starting at 00:23.

I agree; of all the versions of the theme that they have and use right now, that is probably my favorite version (second to the favorite rocky one they used pre-2009). What annoys me though, is that recently they seem like they have to sign off by 10:57. Their newscast structure is weird. The A-block lasts for 20 minutes instead of 10, which I don't like. Then, they'll come back from commercials near the end of the newscast to give the 7 day forecast for 30 seconds, and go to another commercial. This leaves no time for any close. And if they do close out the newscast, they'll start to play the beginning part of that theme, and sign off within 3 seconds. They should at least go to the end part of the theme and leave the viewers with the last 3 minutes or so to know that the newscast is over. It annoys me how they fade everything. And the main bumper they use in this video: (
) seems like it doesn't have a closing note.

Archived