WPIX debuts brand New Graphics, Opens

NYNewsCoverage

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

After watching at 10, I dislike the graphics less and like the music less.

Graphics aren't terrible but they could be better.

The cuts of the theme they're using aren't my favorite. The music doesn't seem to fit. Too orchestral. Sounds like a huge movie... Too grand and not exciting enough.

After watching at 10, I dislike the graphics less and like the music less.

Graphics aren't terrible but they could be better.

The cuts of the theme they're using aren't my favorite. The music doesn't seem to fit. Too orchestral. Sounds like a huge movie... Too grand and not exciting enough.

Yeah, I had that in my mind too, you described it perfectly. I feel like I'm watching the New York Philharmonic, not a local news program. But exactly like you said, I have grown to like the graphics more and like the music less. The only version that I like is the one that is used during the open. That's the real classic version. So that wraps up an interesting day at WPIX. I wonder if the WB11 morning news package will be back...I'm crossing my fingers on this one.

The graphics have that temporary look- like they could be more polished but it will do for now. It is nice to have the WPIX theme back, although they could fix a few things to really make it right, but at least they're heading in the right direction with that. The close sounds like an update cut, if i'm not mistaken? For some reason it has that 615 Music feel to it. All they need to do is bring back Kaity and Jim, weekdays...

Watching the morning news on WPIX right now. They played the orchestral theme to start the 6:30am portion. The only real complaint I have about the new graphics is that the 7 day forecast graphics/day planner forecast graphics could be placed against the new background.

Also, put the traffic graphics against the new background as well.

I like the graphics a lot. I'm sure we'll see tweaks in the coming weeks. It actually looks like a station that belongs on the air now. I can't wait for the new set. Question: did they update the traffic graphics? If so can someone post them up here? If not I'm sure behind ny news or one of the others will have it up on twitter.

I like the graphics a lot. I'm sure we'll see tweaks in the coming weeks. It actually looks like a station that belongs on the air now. I can't wait for the new set. Question: did they update the traffic graphics? If so can someone post them up here? If not I'm sure behind ny news or one of the others will have it up on twitter.

Sadly there are no new traffic graphics.

Here is the kinda long close,

. Not the best cut of course, and they cut off the end as well.

Honestly, from the clips I've seen on YouTube of past WPIX opens, I didn't know that there was an extended cut of the 2002(?) primary open theme.

And I kind of do notice some similarities to The Mission in the cut, it also reminds me a little bit of the close cut from Strive.

Looking at the 5:00 p.m. newscast, it's obvious that the opens that were introduced a couple of months ago belonged to this package. That being said, it seems odd that WPIX staggered the debuts of the opens and transitions fron the launch of the rest of the package.

While I'm not sure exactly how it looks "messy" overall, I did notice a couple of inconsistencies. Most of the package uses Gotham, but the weather graphics use Akzidenz Grotesk (although the font and some elements like the upper thirds give the weather graphics a KTLA-esque look) and the transitions use Avenir. The time and temp bug, which I believe was dropped from the evening newscasts when the previous graphics were still in use use different sized text (the temperature being larger).

After thoroughly examining the graphics, my biggest pet-peeve is the fact that they pre-record the 'coming up' bumpers, just like they did before. They are the only station that does this, and it really annoys me for some reason.

WPIX isn't the only Tribune station that does that. KFOR pre-records the 'coming up' bumpers during the A-block of its 10:00 p.m. newscast on weeknights; the B-block tease and the bumpers shown on all other newscasts are done live, though.

After thoroughly examining the graphics, my biggest pet-peeve is the fact that they pre-record the 'coming up' bumpers, just like they did before. They are the only station that does this, and it really annoys me for some reason.

The recorded segments remind me of the former FM News 101.9 (WEMP, now WFAN-F). Actually sometimes everything was pre-recorded for them towards the end. Of course they failed miserably (like WPIX in a way) and the whole company (Merlin) is defunct.

Archived