The Hearst Thread

aleckrohto

Looks like Lakana's (formerly Internet Broadcasting) is no longer involved in the sites. Has Hearst taken the work in-house?

According to a WhoIs search it like some are still hosted by Internet Broadcasting.

WCVB has finally switched. It's a nice new format, but a lot of legacy content has been wiped out (as was the case with the other switchovers.)

I really don't like these websites. They have so little (useful) content compared to the old ones

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

WGAL unveiled their 'WGAL Hall of Fame' yesterday. It's located near the lobby at their Columbia Ave., Lancaster building. Very nice report. And legendary anchor Dick Hoxworth got to be selected in the first class. I like what they did here. Very nice.

Dick Hoxworth was an amazing anchor. I sure miss him on the morning team at WGAL. An honor well deserved.

-- Matt

Well, it has been 4 years since the current Hearst Graphics package and Strive debuted. I have been starting to wonder, or if anyone knows this, is there a new graphics package on the way? They keep updating it, and I feel it wouldn't hurt to just debut a whole new one with the diagrid design, of course. As for music, they could keep Strive or they could do a Strive v2 to move away from the current package because it is continuously updated and has 29 discs! What do you guys think?

I really don't like these websites. They have so little (useful) content compared to the old ones

Plus I've noticed that the CNN content (which is inanely part of the station Twitter feeds and has terrible headline writing) is severely edited down and never flags as coming from CNN any longer. And I'm not a fan of the entire 'read half the story and here comes the ad takeover' thing that has suddenly become popular.

• Like 3

Well, it has been 4 years since the current Hearst Graphics package and Strive debuted. I have been starting to wonder, or if anyone knows this, is there a new graphics package on the way? They keep updating it, and I feel it wouldn't hurt to just debut a whole new one with the diagrid design, of course. As for music, they could keep Strive or they could do a Strive v2 to move away from the current package because it is continuously updated and has 29 discs! What do you guys think?

I agree with you. Those graphics need to be changed. And I was thinking about that Image News could be used again, but with the 2010 updates. That's not bad.

It's going to be a long time before you see a new graphics package. They went in a little too deep. Too many stations went with physical representations of the graphics look (sets, vehicle wraps) which is honestly always a terrible idea. Stations never have money to redo duratrans when their graphics change. An update is most likely. They should start with the opens, those are the weakest part of the look. There's too many templates and custom graphics made for stations for them to roll out something new anytime soon.

Thinking of maybe a 2.0 similar to Look F. Maybe get new opens, make the tickers and lower thirds widescreen. Perhaps a bolder blue?

You're right -- I think that's the biggest thing they can do to update their look, take some of the templates to 16:9. Lower thirds could be updated as well, shove the bug further out. I think this is something a lot of stations really need to accomplish in 2017. It's time.

My last station did research on this before making the switch to 16:9 graphics and did not receive a single complaint after the launch.

edit: And take the station bug off that ugly parallelogram chip! It hurts more than it helps.

I've never been a fan of the Hearst look and never understood why it was so well-received. The color palette and typeface are nice, but the rest of it is just way too busy. It hasn't aged well, either. Simplifying it and cutting down on all the flash would make it look a lot better.

• Like 1

I've never been a fan of the Hearst look and never understood why it was so well-received. The color palette and typeface are nice, but the rest of it is just way too busy. It hasn't aged well, either. Simplifying it and cutting down on all the flash would make it look a lot better.

I think it looks great on WESH where it was launched and it was a major improvement over what most Hearst stations had at the time, but it's not great for a group package.

It's also way off-brand for a lot of stations that use it. The Hearst station I was at when it launched has since gone all in on this thing and every story has some sort of graphic animation leading into it, a fullscreen, half screen, lower, whatever... it's overkill. Way too flashy, way too much going on. Graphics for the sake of graphics, in some cases masking a weak news product. It's honestly hard to watch.

You're right -- I think that's the biggest thing they can do to update their look, take some of the templates to 16:9. Lower thirds could be updated as well, shove the bug further out. I think this is something a lot of stations really need to accomplish in 2017. It's time.

My last station did research on this before making the switch to 16:9 graphics and did not receive a single complaint after the launch.

edit: And take the station bug off that ugly parallelogram chip! It hurts more than it helps.

I would definitely resize the bug. Perhaps if they expanded the standard lower third parallelogram to the width of the screen they could insert the bug on top of the lower third. Again I'm thinking of Look F where when the lower third disappears the bug remains but against the video backdrop instead of the blue backdrop - similar to what they do during syndicated programming but with the bug in color.

I would really like it if they also removed the white translucent bits to the left and right of the lower third and the bug (that really serve no purpose).

I think it was because it had a good sense of motion, sleekness and was extremely polished when it first appeared. You didn't see that type of background animations in a while. Granite they were a bit busy (especially the rotating Diagrid disc) but they've since slowed down where WBAL now primarily uses a simple slow movement of the Diagrid in rows going accross the screen.

• Like 4

Also WBAL has some interesting promos out. Two are holiday related. One was set to "'Twas the Night Before Christmas" promoting the Ravens at Steelers game on Christmas Day. The second one was promoting their app showing Santa in his sleigh looking at traffic reports. Another generic promo was touting that their new website layout matches their popular App design.

• 2 weeks later...

I just noticed that the backdrop at WISN still has a duratrans with the logo with the Bank Gothic text below it, *long* after the station and the company stopped using it anywhere else. Is their disinterest in swapping out something so relatively inexpensive as the duratrans just them being cheap... or a sign that they might actually be planning a remodel sooner rather than later?

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
Hearst buys majority stake in syndication company Litton Entertainment, best known for its children's blocks on the big three networks and The CW, according to TVNewsCheck.

Not far from my prediction on another message board about Sinclair possibly buying a syndicator in 2017.

Litton's CEO is a former Hearst executive, so this is a homecoming of sorts.

I just noticed that the backdrop at WISN still has a duratrans with the logo with the Bank Gothic text below it, *long* after the station and the company stopped using it anywhere else. Is their disinterest in swapping out something so relatively inexpensive as the duratrans just them being cheap... or a sign that they might actually be planning a remodel sooner rather than later?

I'm guessing it's more of a 'few people actually look at that' thing than anything; there's still plenty of Bank Gothic baked into some of their station promos at times. They still even use an element of the 2001 set for charity phone banks, but most of their efforts lately have been to clean up more outside the building and the lobby and make it look more like a TV station building near Marquette than a warehouse like it used to. And they keep everything, judging from Mark Baden posting a picture a few days back of old set-pieces dating back from the 80's and into the 90's (along with the "slanted-12abc" frontpiece for the anchor desk that was replaced two years ago).

The same with WESH's projected backdrop that looks like it uses the the prior graphics package. I can't recall if the backdrop displays graphics but it seems odd that it wasn't updated when the package debuted. Seems like it could have easily been replaced.