Gray TV buying WTVG and WJRT for 128 Million

promoguy98

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gray is in play while Raycom hasn't bought a single TV station since 2008 (with the J-P deal). Their only transactions have been the swap that got them WBRC, and all of the American Spirit SSAs, as well as their SSA with WVUE.

Gray is actively growing their profile through acquisitions while Raycom has stood on the sidelines only opting for swaps and SSAs.

Gray is also a public company while Raycom has been private.

Raycom probably lacks the capital (and don't want to drive themselves into debt like some groups...cough...cough...Sinclair...cough), which is probably when they bought Liberty, they divested a whole slew of out-of-core stations along with their lesser-rated conflicts in places like Toledo, Columbia and Albany, GA.

The ONLY way I could see them getting into Mobile is by means of trading. If there's a market with a station of comparable value (that they want to part with), then a deal could happen. Raycom has been lacking in M&A these last several years while Gray has been on fire as of late.

Nexstar huh? Interesting.

I was more thinking about Raycom and their desire of a Mobile station to complete their statewide network.

It seems Gray's strengths are in the Upper Midwest, Plains and Southeast. They have no Northeast assets and not very many in the West. Where are some notable holes for Gray that could easily be plugged in without going into regions where they would be isolated?

I wonder why they passed up on WENY and WSEE/WICU (although one of those would need to be turned off, no matter who buys them, since I don't think Erie can support three news operations)?

WSEE and WICU have been consolidated for several years now. Yes, they have a "Nexstar-style" duopoly where there's two separate anchor teams and two different sets but everything else is consolidated. I even think the meteorologists appear on both stations. So I would likely see no change if Lilly were to sell their Erie duopoly.

Gray is in play while Raycom hasn't bought a single TV station since 2008 (with the J-P deal). Their only transactions have been the swap that got them WBRC, and all of the American Spirit SSAs, as well as their SSA with WVUE.

Gray is actively growing their profile through acquisitions while Raycom has stood on the sidelines only opting for swaps and SSAs.

Raycom probably lacks the capital (and don't want to drive themselves into debt like some groups...cough...cough...Sinclair...cough), which is probably when they bought Liberty, they divested a whole slew of out-of-core stations along with their lesser-rated conflicts in places like Toledo, Columbia and Albany, GA.

The ONLY way I could see them getting into Mobile is by means of trading. If there's a market with a station of comparable value (that they want to part with), then a deal could happen. Raycom has been lacking in M&A these last several years while Gray has been on fire as of late.

Would Raycom want out of Tucson which is a mid-size Western market, rather isolated from most of its other stations? Their design group is moving to Charlotte.

Would Raycom want out of Tucson which is a mid-size Western market, rather isolated from most of its other stations? Their design group is moving to Charlotte.

Wouldn't they want out of Honolulu too then? Honolulu does not fit in at all with the rest of the group.

Here's a good swap. Why don't Raycom swap KOLD for Gray's WITN? It strongly fits Raycom's portfolio in the Carolinas. And they're right next door to WECT.

Anywho here's the paperwork for WJRT/WTVG, posted this morning (7/25).

Isn't this lovely that Gray will soon have three stations adjacent to the Motor City, along with WILX?

Here's a good swap. Why don't Raycom swap KOLD for Gray's WITN? It strongly fits Raycom's portfolio in the Carolinas. And they're right next door to WECT.

Anywho here's the paperwork for WJRT/WTVG, posted this morning (7/25).

Isn't this lovely that Gray will soon have three stations adjacent to the Motor City, along with WILX?

Lovely yes, but I'm not sure why it's relevant. They could never fill in the big gap in the middle of their adjacent markets anyways.

Raycom had their chance of purchasing WITN in 1997, when they purchased AFLAC's television stations. However, because of the then FCC rules regarding stations in adjacent markets, Raycom was forced to sell WITN to Gray to receive FCC approval.

As someone who lives in the area, WITN is the largest and most stable of an rough bunch in an fairly rural market hit hard by Natural Disasters, and the great rescission.

Raycom had their chance of purchasing WITN in 1997, when they purchased AFLAC's television stations. However, because of the then FCC rules regarding stations in adjacent markets, Raycom was forced to sell WITN to Gray to receive FCC approval.

As someone who lives in the area, WITN is the largest and most stable of an rough bunch in an fairly rural market hit hard by Natural Disasters, and the great rescission.

But the overlap rule has since been relaxed. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't get it now.

But the overlap rule has since been relaxed. I don't see any reason why they shouldn't get it now.

What if one or the other company likes or really wants the station they already have and a swap is then a no-go? It isn't blocked on the legal side but the companies have to actually want to do it as well.

What if one or the other company likes or really wants the station they already have and a swap is then a no-go? It isn't blocked on the legal side but the companies have to actually want to do it as well.

Well it's up to them if they want to do it or not, now is it?

Lovely yes, but I'm not sure why it's relevant. They could never fill in the big gap in the middle of their adjacent markets anyways.

What do you mean by that? They're in every single South Carolina market (except for Greenville, SC), plus Wilmington & Charlotte. I don't see why Greenville, NC wouldn't fill-in a big gap, as you say.

Greenville, NC fits their footprint, while Tucson is basically a dead island, since they don't have major properties in the west coast, while they're deep in the deep south.

Well it's up to them if they want to do it or not, now is it?

What do you mean by that? They're in every single South Carolina market (except for Greenville, SC), plus Wilmington & Charlotte. I don't see why Greenville, NC wouldn't fill-in a big gap, as you say.

Greenville, NC fits their footprint, while Tucson is basically a dead island, since they don't have major properties in the west coast, while they're deep in the deep south.

Where you commented about how it's lovely they have three stations adjacent to the motor city. Not talking about the Carolina's, it's a direct response to your lovely comment, hence why I used the word lovely in my response.

You said you don't see any reason why they shouldn't get it, so I gave you one really good reason: they may not want to do a trade.

Where you commented about how it's lovely they have three stations adjacent to the motor city. Not talking about the Carolina's, it's a direct response to your lovely comment, hence why I used the word lovely in my response.

You said you don't see any reason why they shouldn't get it, so I gave you one really good reason: they may not want to do a trade.

Oh damn, I thought the Carolinas, not Detroit. My error.

As for Raycom, I'm not sure what they want to do. They've been so quiet since they'd acquire Lincoln Financial stations, and doing some swapping, I'm surprised they haven't done anything since then. And if you think they don't want to do, they should comtemplate doing something, while everybody else have been grabbing. Like I said, its better to be closer than to be far out. And you're right, it's up to them, if they want to swap or not.

I thought Gray would go in shambles after Prather left the company. But they've shocked the hell out of me with these series of deals since last fall.

I thought Gray would go in shambles after Prather left the company. But they've shocked the hell out of me with these series of deals since last fall.

Do you think Gray is going into debt like Sinclair in order to buy, buy, buy?

Do you think Gray is going into debt like Sinclair in order to buy, buy, buy?

To me, I don't think so. At least I don't hear or read Gray having a heavy amount of debt. But they also haven't spent $3B in M&A in the past three years, either. Gray only spent about of sixth of that (around $500M) within the last year in M&As.

Just because they haven't been buying lately doesn't mean they're not interested in growing. I just think they're more strategic in where they want to grow compared to other station groups that just want to buy a station just for the sake of buying a station.

Even though they didn't purchase WVUE completely, the SSA still shows that they had an interest in having a presence in that market. Which makes sense because it was surrounded by markets that did have stations owned by Raycom (Biloxi, and Baton Rouge). Mobile is pretty similar to the New Orleans market in that respect because it's surrounded by Montgomery and Biloxi, plus its the only market in Alabama that Raycom doesn't have a presence in.

I would still be shocked if Raycom doesn't make an aggressive effort to purchase whatever station goes up for sale in Mobile, even if Gray is also interested (which would also make sense geographically too).

Just because they haven't been buying lately doesn't mean they're not interested in growing. I just think they're more strategic in where they want to grow compared to other station groups that just want to buy a station just for the sake of buying a station.

Even though they didn't purchase WVUE completely, the SSA still shows that they had an interest in having a presence in that market. Which makes sense because it was surrounded by markets that did have stations owned by Raycom (Biloxi, and Baton Rouge). Mobile is pretty similar to the New Orleans market in that respect because it's surrounded by Montgomery and Biloxi, plus its the only market in Alabama that Raycom doesn't have a presence in.

I would still be shocked if Raycom doesn't make an aggressive effort to purchase whatever station goes up for sale in Mobile, even if Gray is also interested (which would also make sense geographically too).

Raycom also has most of their stations being market leaders (in many cases market-dominant), so they would likely want similar types of stations anyway if they are looking to acquire.

Raycom also has most of their stations being market leaders (in many cases market-dominant), so they would likely want similar types of stations anyway if they are looking to acquire.

WKRG and WALA are #1 and #2 respectively right? I know that market is wierd because those stations cover Alabama while stations like WEAR cover Florida.

That and WVUE is no where close to being a market leader (outside of 9PM), although they have become a lot more competitive in recent years. I still think people are writing off Raycom too soon.

WKRG and WALA are #1 and #2 respectively right? I know that market is wierd because those stations cover Alabama while stations like WEAR cover Florida.

That and WVUE is no where close to being a market leader (outside of 9PM), although they have become a lot more competitive in recent years.

I believe that is the case, both stations have traded dominance (along with WEAR) over the past several years. I can see why Raycom passed on WPMI and WJTC when Newport was selling. They are 4th and 5th, respectively, and Sinclair wanted them more so they could pair them with WEAR and WFGX.

KOLD and WAVE (and possibly WMC) could be swap bait should some station trading take place.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived