Sinclair Broadcast Group - General Discussion

Smitha A

32 minutes ago, TVLurker said:

Bryon Allen may be a joke but at least his TV stations haven't gone to crap, I believe he'll do something eventually.

No no. They are going to crap too:

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2024/5/1/more-on-the-allen-media-massacre

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2024/4/29/allen-media-swings-the-ax

https://www.ftvlive.com/sqsp-test/2024/5/7/no-more-401k

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tyrannical bastard said:

This was back when Sinclair retrenched between 2005-2009 after their failed "News Central" program, getting called out for their attempting to air "Stolen Honor" in the wake of the 2004 election, and when the band-aids were beginning to fall of their ANCIENT equipment at the time.  I was shocked when they started going HD in 2008 since their existing news operations were running with sets they acquired from other owners, pushing 15 years old at least!

Cunningham almost bankrupted them in 2009, then somehow, they were able to borrow a lot of money to expand to what they are today. The first catalyst was the Four Points stations they picked up from CBS & Nexstar, then the purchase of Freedom.  The rest is history as Sinclair bought out stations from Newport, Fisher, Allbritton, Barrington and others to try and position themselves as a major player.

Now they're certainly paying the price for this, and any attempts to do bad things all over again in their second coming....

Not really for KSMO-TV... KSMO got sold off in 2005, so they were basically very lucky not to be extremely messed up by Sinclair. 

2 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Imagine if it's Imagicomm Communication, Costal Television and Standard that buy up these stations. Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Cox Media Group underwritten by Apollo.

NOPE, NOT Coastal Television but maybe Imagicomm provided if they don't own any stations in Sinclair markets. 

13 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Even without the links to Old Scotty's blog, it's fairly obvious that Byron Allen is overleveraged and likely is being crushed by debt. One could argue that his fruitless "bids" to buy ABC, Tegna and Paramount Global have been simple distractions to hide what is a much more serious problem.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, ABC 7 Denver said:

Imagine if it's Imagicomm Communication, Costal Television and Standard that buy up these stations. Honestly though, I wouldn't be surprised if it's Cox Media Group underwritten by Apollo.

INSP, Coastal and Daystar are the most likely buyers of these stations.

Standard General is a company in limbo since they failed to get Tegna (with the current farce that is MediaCo, Standard clearly has no idea what their plans are in any aspect of mass media) and the stations they currently have are low-budget, low-rated dumps. Plus Apollo is not going to spend money on stations that sorely need investment in or need totally new infrastructures altogether.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Rusty Muck said:

INSP, Coastal and Daystar are the most likely buyers of these stations.

Why u gonna trust INSP despite they dont have a recent local TV station experience, Daystar aren't in the network affiliation and newscast business, Coastal/Vision Alaska are relying on NewsNet. I want groups and network owners not the religious ones, this is not like Salem or EMF buying radio stations.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

Why u gonna trust INSP despite they dont have a recent local TV station experience, Daystar aren't in the network affiliation and newscast business, Coastal/Vision Alaska are relying on NewsNet. I want groups and network owners not the religious ones, this is not like Salem or EMF buying radio stations.

INSP ≠ Godcaster

INSP is not and will NEVER be an Godcaster for these stations, and won't turn to an Godcaster. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, mer764KCTV5 said:

INSP ≠ Godcaster

INSP is not and will NEVER be an Godcaster for these stations, and won't turn to an Godcaster. 

BTW how does INSP handle the Fox stations once owned by Cox/Apollo, most of them are once part of Northwest Broadcasting yet Cox/Apollo kept it's Fox station on Eugene, Oregon.

13 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

Why u gonna trust INSP despite they dont have a recent local TV station experience, Daystar aren't in the network affiliation and newscast business, Coastal/Vision Alaska are relying on NewsNet.

Why? Because they are the only ones who would want to buy these stations that, for the most part, have no local news presence, little viewership or zero infrastructure. The spectrum hogging would matter more, and it does with a bottom-feeder like INSP.

14 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

I want groups and network owners not the religious ones, this is not like Salem or EMF buying radio stations.

Well, I live in the real world, and these stations being sold are those the megachains or the networks would not want. Hearst is not going to spend money on a bunch of fixer-uppers or total rebuild projects, and neither would Gray, Graham, Scripps or Tegna.

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

Why? Because they are the only ones who would want to buy these stations that, for the most part, have no local news presence, little viewership or zero infrastructure. The spectrum hogging would matter more, and it does with a bottom-feeder like INSP.

Well, I live in the real world, and these stations being sold are those the megachains or the networks would not want. Hearst is not going to spend money on a bunch of fixer-uppers or total rebuild projects, and neither would Gray, Graham, Scripps or Tegna.

Correctly said.

I wanna also say that station owners like Hearst, and Graham Media rarely aquire stations.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Rusty Muck said:

Tell that to the many small to midsize CW, MNTV and Independents that dont have local news unless they make a duopoly with a Big 4 network. Also religious TV broadcasters are much different than religious radio broadcasters buying commercial radio broadcasters.

Your beign jealous here, local tv stations are public service something that the internet don't. Serving local communities and the real world analogy is about using goverment owned frequency to serve the public good, big tech streamers are not supporting local communities and they only focus on national content than using documentaries to serve the public good. BTW Hearst does involved in national content in a midscale with their half interests in A&E Networks and NorthSouth productions along with E/I programing company Litton Entertainment now Hearst Media Production Group selling their content to the networks and streamers. Streamers are not the real world that you're living, it's an internet apocalyse lead by the cheap prices offered by Big Tech and the local broadcasters are the alternative to missinformation and filling the void left by newspapers. Do your math right.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, dzonershow said:

Tell that to the many small to midsize CW, MNTV and Independents that dont have local news unless they make a duopoly with a Big 4 network.

Irrelevant to the topic at hand. 

Also religious TV broadcasters are much different than religious radio broadcasters buying commercial radio broadcasters.

They also have money and incentive. That's why EMF, Relevant Radio and Daystar have vacuumed up oodles of stations over the years.

Your beign jealous here, local tv stations are public service something that the internet don't. Serving local communities and the real world analogy is about using goverment owned frequency to serve the public good, big tech streamers are not supporting local communities and they only focus on national content than using documentaries to serve the public good.

I'm not "beign jealous" of anything, I'm simply existing in the real world, not fantasy-driven wishcasting of groups buying a bunch of basketcase stations from a bush league owner. Have you ever heard of "return on investment"?

BTW Hearst does involved in national content in a midscale with their half interests in A&E Networks and NorthSouth productions along with E/I programing company Litton Entertainment now Hearst Media Production Group selling their content to the networks and streamers.

Again, totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.

Streamers are not the real world that you're living, it's an internet apocalyse lead by the cheap prices offered by Big Tech and the local broadcasters are the alternative to missinformation and filling the void left by newspapers. Do your math right.

With all due respect, do better.

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 3

Irrelevant to the topic at hand. 

They also have money and incentive. That's why EMF, Relevant Radio and Daystar have vacuumed up oodles of stations over the years.

I'm not "benign jealous" of anything, I'm simply existing in the real world, not fantasy-driven wishcasting of groups buying a bunch of basketcase stations. Have you ever heard of "return on investment"?

Again, totally irrelevant to the topic at hand.

With all due respect, do better.

BTW is there a market cap of a religious broadcaster i'm sure walt street ignores religious broadcasting, Also ROI doesnt translate to streaming dollars and using the HGTV structure on Hearst Television is legit irrelevant than your comments. This is about public good in broadcasting which is "real world" than your comments.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

This is about public good in broadcasting which is "real world" than your comments.

With all do respect, the only purpose of commerical broadcasting is to make money. "Public good" is secondary, if it is even a factor.

• Like 5

With all do respect, the only purpose of commerical broadcasting is to make money. "Public good" is secondary, if it is even a factor.

Well they serve to hold politicians accountable, they serve to protect the community, they can combat missinformation (well except Sinclair), those are the aspects of the "public good". Newspaper did so in the past so are u worried about losing trust and confidence in information along with the 'watchdog" role in journalism?

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

Well they serve to hold politicians accountable, they serve to protect the community, they can combat missinformation (well except Sinclair), those are the aspects of the "public good". Newspaper did so in the past so are u worried about losing trust and confidence in information along with the 'watchdog" role in journalism?

Please do us a favor, "dzonershow", "Darrenvision" or whatever your name is:

Stop commenting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

20 hours ago, SoFloTVClassics said:

Here's some more information as to which cities are on the selling block.

https://www.tvtechnology.com/news/cnbc-sinclair-considering-selling-some-broadcast-stations

Not trying to speculate- somewhat legitimate question here- but is there any chance CBS might buy KEYE back from Sinclair since it's mentioned in the article?

Yes- I get CBS O&O's are already in a potential sale situation depending with what happens to the mothership, but Austin has grown since CBS sold 42 in 2007, and it would make "CBS Texas" sound a lot more "Texas" than just having KTVT in Dallas. 

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

This is about public good in broadcasting which is "real world" than your comments.

This ain't PBS, this is about Commercial Television Stations. They make money, that is the PURPOSE. Were talkin' about the owners of KOMO-TV and KATU, not Oregon Public Broadcasting or KCTS-TV.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Not trying to speculate- somewhat legitimate question here- but is there any chance CBS might buy KEYE back from Sinclair since it's mentioned in the article?

Yes- I get CBS O&O's are already in a potential sale situation depending with what happens to the mothership, but Austin has grown since CBS sold 42 in 2007, and it would make "CBS Texas" sound a lot more "Texas" than just having KTVT in Dallas. 

There's also KUTV/KJZZ/KMYU/KENV also since KUTV and KMYU was once O&Os by CBS. BTW Apollo was among bidding for Paramount but they have Cox Media also. BTW it should be CBS News Dallas or CBS News DFW, but I could imagine CBS News Utah and CBS News Austin (that explains the CBS Austin name).

Edited by dzonershow
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, dzonershow said:

There's also KUTV/KJZZ/KMYU/KENV also since KUTV and KMYU was once O&Os by CBS. BTW Apollo was among bidding for Paramount but they have Cox Media also. BTW it should be CBS News Dallas or CBS News DFW, but I could imagine CBS News Utah and CBS News Austin (that explains the CBS Austin name).

Only one station you named is even a CBS affiliate. you took a question I am posing and added nonsense and irrelevance to it. When CBS used "CBS Texas" on KTVT instead of "CBS DFW", some of us wondered if it was purposeful for a broader plan (going back to February 2023) in their implementation.

We all believe that CBS is looking to divest rather than buy, which made my question a long-shot (and probably gave some here a headache on its' own); but your add-on nonsensical. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, GodfreyGR said:

Only one station you named is even a CBS affiliate. you took a question I am posing and added nonsense and irrelevance to it. When CBS used "CBS Texas" on KTVT instead of "CBS DFW", some of us wondered if it was purposeful for a broader plan (going back to February 2023) in their implementation.

We all believe that CBS is looking to divest rather than buy, which made my question a long-shot (and probably gave some here a headache on its' own); but your add-on nonsensical. 

They focusing of the FAST channel business using CBS News 24/7 (then CBSN and CBS News Streaming Network). It kinda confuses me that they drop CBS2 and KCAL9 brands in the LA market uniting as KCAL News and CBS News Los Angeles sans channel numbers (CBS Los Angeles was shown on the linear channel 2 feed while CBS News Los Angeles appears of the latter namesake streaming feed). CBS4 in Denver drop the number 4 in their branding when it became CBS Colorado and their news brand both linear and streaming as CBS News Colorado. WWJ opted to use the CBS News Detroit name than CBS62 since they're focusing on their streaming products.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

They focusing of the FAST channel business using CBS News 24/7 (then CBSN and CBS News Streaming Network). It kinda confuses me that they drop CBS2 and KCAL9 brands in the LA market uniting as KCAL News and CBS News Los Angeles sans channel numbers (CBS Los Angeles was shown on the linear channel 2 feed while CBS News Los Angeles appears of the latter namesake streaming feed). CBS4 in Denver drop the number 4 in their branding when it became CBS Colorado and their news brand both linear and streaming as CBS News Colorado. WWJ opted to use the CBS News Detroit name than CBS62 since they're focusing on their streaming products.

Please don't post walls of text irrelevant to the topic thread for the sake of posting walls of text. It's honestly deeply aggravating. This is a thread about Sinclair Broadcast Group, not an invitation to spout off verbal diarrhea about whatever the CBS stations are doing. Who freaking cares?

Like Scott Fybush said in reply to you in RadioDiscussions: "Going forward, the discussion on this site needs to more than just 'lists of things.'"

Edited by Rusty Muck
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

1 hour ago, Rusty Muck said:

Please don't post walls of text irrelevant to the topic thread for the sake of posting walls of text. It's honestly deeply aggravating. This is a thread about Sinclair Broadcast Group, not an invitation to spout off verbal diarrhea about whatever the CBS stations are doing. Who freaking cares?

Like Scott Fybush said in reply to you in RadioDiscussions: "Going forward, the discussion on this site needs to more than just 'lists of things.'"

Exactly. 

It's about the SINCLAIR BROADCAST GROUP for Pete's Sake, not some dumb list which gets off-topic easily.

• Thanks 2

I honestly hope that KTUL is one of the stations that gets sold. They’re a good station. They just need a bit of TLC. It’s a real shame how far they’ve fallen. Don Woods is rolling over in his grave. 

• Like 4

Since Portland is on the chopping block (KATU), is that a market that Disney could be interested in buying out? Or is Portland too small for an ABC O&O given that KOMO Seattle isn't one either?

I seriously cannot see a station like KIMA going to a religious broadcaster. Even with the low budget of the station (and of KEPR too), there would probably be a lot of backlash. I suspect anything can happen, however.

• Like 1