SHOCKER: Scripps and Journal to merge

Glimmer

Methinks a whole new standardization package will be commissioned, just as Scripps' current package was commissioned after the McGrawHill stations came into the fold.

Which would also answer the question of when WKBW finally enters the 21st century falls in line with a standardization effort.

If so then it will probably happen soon enough. Scripps rolled out new everything within months of purchasing the McGraw-Hill stations. The current package and music are just barely two years old. They don't seem like ones to keep the same look for 5+ years. However a nice surprise would be everyone being allowed to have their own look or a new, unstandardized package if they're a Journal station.

• Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm beginning to think companies like Scripps and Gannett are going to be the next Sinclair and Nexstar that we've been talking about for years. Soon, they'll have their own "Scripps Again..." and "Gannett Again..." threads.

Or, even worse "Meredith Again..." I know they've kept KMOV status quo since they've taken over, but the company's indifference to relevant subchannel programming, use of gimmicks to attract news viewers, their management's overall reluctance to take viewer suggestions, and odd pre-emptions seriously almost puts them in the "station groups that shouldn't get bigger" category.

Analysis by Journal TV station:

• KGUN: Scripps will need to get the failing station waiver to continue duopoly with KWBA. That said KGUN will probably see some cooperation with KNXV, and if Scripps is consolidation-minded, that will be even further the case.
  • WFTX: Will benefit from Scripps's other Florida stations, WFTS and WPTV. This station is roughly equidistant to both.
  • KIVI: This station is in an area where Scripps really has never been. The closest Scripps station is in Denver. I don't expect much to change.
  • WSYM: Will Scripps opt to start a news operation and/or use WXYZ as a springboard to cut ties with WILX?
  • KMTV: The only consolidation I can see here is with Kansas City, and even then that's a stretch.
  • KTNV: Scripps has built a nice cluster for itself in the Southwest alright.
  • WTVF: Again, Scripps TV hasn't been here in a while (at least since selling WMC).
  • WGBA: This station has needed a bit of a fresh look for some time and has never really had the backing to win in Green Bay. Also, needed FSW for WACY.
  • WTMJ: Milwaukee TV won't benefit from the sentimental value it has had to Journal, and that might really be a negative for 'TMJ in the long run. How much will 'TMJ and the Journal-Sentinel be associated?

In other words, they seem to be in the same area except with no conflicts. This is a rare CLEAN blockbuster deal with no shells or divestment required...WTVF seems so out of place though, since Scripps has nothing in the Southeast other than Florida. KIVI is another oddball in a new region for Scripps. The rest are all in regions that Scripps is already strong (the Midwest, Southwest and Florida).

I think this deal will be done sooner than the very complicated LIN-Media General deal, which cannot proceed without at least 5 stations sold.

I was thinking a Scripps-Hearst merger was coming instead...big shocker there!

That would have wrecked Kansas City. KSHB and KMBC potentially being duopolies, in addition to their already existing duopolies? Unless they sold off their sister stations, that would have meant Hearst would own four television stations in Kansas City. It also would have proven a mess in West Palm Beach with WPTV and WBFF as well.

That would have wrecked Kansas City. KSHB and KMBC potentially being duopolies, in addition to their already existing duopolies? Unless they sold off their sister stations, that would have meant Hearst would own four television stations in Kansas City. It also would have proven a mess in West Palm Beach with WPTV and WBFF as well.

Yeah of course that isn't happening now...but it was a thought earlier that Scripps would purchase or merge with them instead. This is a clean deal with no conflicts.

If so then it will probably happen soon enough. Scripps rolled out new everything within months of purchasing the McGraw-Hill stations. The current package and music are just barely two years old. They don't seem like ones to keep the same look for 5+ years. However a nice surprise would be everyone being allowed to have their own look or a new, unstandardized package if they're a Journal station.

Journal stations will easily join in to the Scripps graphics hub setup. Some Journal stations don't even have a proper art department as it is. KTNV and WGBA get a lot of their graphics from Milwaukee.

Some Journal stations are also on VizRT, and Scripps is a poster child for Chyron Axis. I doubt that will change. More reason for across the board changes.

Journal stations will easily join in to the Scripps graphics hub setup. Some Journal stations don't even have a proper art department as it is. KTNV and WGBA get a lot of their graphics from Milwaukee.

Some Journal stations are also on VizRT, and Scripps is a poster child for Chyron Axis. I doubt that will change. More reason for across the board changes.

Does anybody know how good of a system Chyron Axis is in comparison to the others out there?

Does anybody know how good of a system Chyron Axis is in comparison to the others out there?

Chyron AXIS is just a program that feeds things into Chyron systems. Both systems have their pros and cons. Viz graphics can be more interactive with each other but Chyron systems are a little more user-friendly. In the end it all comes down to the skill level of the person building the graphics.

Looks like both Journal and Scripps like getting graphics packages from Renderon so I bet they'll be tapped for the next set soon if they haven't already.

Or, even worse "Meredith Again..." I know they've kept KMOV status quo since they've taken over, but the company's indifference to relevant subchannel programming, use of gimmicks to attract news viewers, their management's overall reluctance to take viewer suggestions, and odd pre-emptions seriously almost puts them in the "station groups that shouldn't get bigger" category.

At least they aren't giving up lucrative syndicated programs to replace with cheap low-budget programs like Scripps is doing. I admit that Meredith does do all the things that you mentioned above but I put them in a better light than I do with Scripps (no pun intended). Scripps does an excellent job running stations with good news departments, but that's pretty much all they do anymore.

As far as "Gannett Again..." I think people are already feeling that way with how bland the rebranding of some of the Belo stations has been. That's always been a criticism I've had with them, Gannett stations always seem to be bland, but still have a decent news department. It's an odd combo but somehow they do it.

At least they aren't giving up lucrative syndicated programs to replace with cheap low-budget programs like Scripps is doing. I admit that Meredith does do all the things that you mentioned above but I put them in a better light than I do with Scripps (no pun intended). Scripps does an excellent job running stations with good news departments, but that's pretty much all they do anymore.

In the case of KPHO, they pick up a rookie show that ends up being a hit ("Ellen"), and after a couple years, loses the program to KPNX! KPHO's Program Director came from a UPN station that was basically programmed like an independent, so "low-cost programming" is his M.O. However, they did grab "Wheel of Fortune" and "Jeopardy" in the KTVK package. KPHO airs "The People's Court" in the daytime -- I wonder if they will end up swapping a couple of KTVK's stronger shows to KPHO?

Let's not forget the "Better Show" all Meredith markets have to air. Not too far off from Journal's "Morning Blend" (or even Journal's reliance on bottom-barrel syndication like "OK! TV" or the Byron Allen court shows) or the Scripps shows.

In other words, they seem to be in the same area except with no conflicts. This is a rare CLEAN blockbuster deal with no shells or divestment required...WTVF seems so out of place though, since Scripps has nothing in the Southeast other than Florida. KIVI is another oddball in a new region for Scripps. The rest are all in regions that Scripps is already strong (the Midwest, Southwest and Florida).

I think this deal will be done sooner than the very complicated LIN-Media General deal, which cannot proceed without at least 5 stations sold.

Both MG/LIN & Scripps-Journal would still likely to be docketed & open a comment period since these are two big deals. I wouldn't be shocked if the Journal/Scripps deal be consummation before that ball drop to ring in 2015. Hey the MG/Young merger lasted 5 months with hardly any conflicts (basically one complaint about Lansing, and it didn't have anything to do with the MG/Young merger).

Scripps does an excellent job running stations with good news departments

Not really. It seems at some of their stations, around the time the economy went down the tank, they laid off a lot of reporters and now at stations like WEWS and WMAR, people who used to be strictly photographers are now filing reports on-air as MMJs. I have no idea whether they're good fronting their own stories since I don't live in those markets, but maybe someone who lives in Cleveland or Baltimore can tell me how bad the photographers are as reporters.

But where? WRTV? The way they talked about it they were only upgrading WRTV to handle the existing stations prior to this merger with Journal. So unless WRTV will now all of a sudden handle all 34, I would suspect they'd either build a second hub or let those stations keep their master controls.

Looks like both Journal and Scripps like getting graphics packages from Renderon so I bet they'll be tapped for the next set soon if they haven't already.

Hopefully they won't be too atrocious.

Let's not forget the "Better Show" all Meredith markets have to air. Not too far off from Journal's "Morning Blend" (or even Journal's reliance on bottom-barrel syndication like "OK! TV" or the Byron Allen court shows) or the Scripps shows.

That's a Meredith mandate? I thought that was something unique to KCTV.

They will probably be Renderon, I hope Inergy gets kept, it's a good theme. If they change the theme I hope it's a Gari one but I don't think that'll happen. The graphics are due for a full refresh or replacement, Scripps won't let them get to 3 years old without one of those options happening. But also remember they were introduced in Summer-Early Fall 2012 so they are just now turning 2. I'm leaning towards a refresh being more likely.

I find the odds of letting the stations have their own stuff to be low even if the new company could likely afford to let the larger market stations use better graphics and music the what Scripps has put together.

Scripps graphics V1 sucked, V2 is wearing out already so hopefully 3rd times a charm for them on graphics. I would like to see some character back into their products and more graphical customization would go a long way even if the base package is uniform across the group. The stations need more flexibility.

Maybe Dispatch if the Wolfe family decides to cash out on their TV properties and focus solely on newspapers?

Never. The Wolfes hate Scripps! If they ever sell out, it will be to Gannett. (I don't know this to be true, just a little speculation on my part. They liked Avco and Taft, though.)

But I don't think they are going to sell out because of one thing: They merged Wolfe-controlled BancOhio into National City Bank and had a big chunk of National City stock. They got screwed when National City went under and now own a substantially devalued piece of PNC Bank.

I think they learned their lesson about letting other people run their crown jewels.

Never. The Wolfes hate Scripps! If they ever sell out, it will be to Gannett. (I don't know this to be true, just a little speculation on my part. They liked Avco and Taft, though.)

Not to mention that the Wolfe family also owns WTHR in Indianapolis so Scripps would have a conflict. Gannett would be a clean sale, possibly Meredith as well.

But I agree, there doesn't seem to be any sign of WBNS and WTHR going on the auction block anytime soon.

But where? WRTV? The way they talked about it they were only upgrading WRTV to handle the existing stations prior to this merger with Journal. So unless WRTV will now all of a sudden handle all 34, I would suspect they'd either build a second hub or let those stations keep their master controls..

I was talking about the graphics hub at WFTS. What they do for master control is anyone's guess at this point, though generally speaking, these hubbed master control operations are built out with future expansion in mind...

I was talking about the graphics hub at WFTS. What they do for master control is anyone's guess at this point, though generally speaking, these hubbed master control operations are built out with future expansion in mind...

Then maybe that's why they did it. Hell, I wonder how many other things Scripps has been doing in preparation of merging with Journal!

They will probably be Renderon, I hope Inergy gets kept, it's a good theme. If they change the theme I hope it's a Gari one but I don't think that'll happen.

[...]

Scripps graphics V1 sucked, V2 is wearing out already so hopefully 3rd times a charm for them on graphics. I would like to see some character back into their products and more graphical customization would go a long way even if the base package is uniform across the group. The stations need more flexibility.

iNergy is okay. The breaking news theme of it is the strongest feature of it. It just seems so happy all the time. I'd like something a little bit stronger. It's good, but I feel as if there's something that could better fit my local Scripps station. And V2 isn't that bad. It could last a while longer really, we just don't like long-tenured graphics here on this site. Although there have been some pretty good things being created lately.

Then maybe that's why they did it. Hell, I wonder how many other things Scripps has been doing in preparation of merging with Journal!

iNergy is okay. The breaking news theme of it is the strongest feature of it. It just seems so happy all the time. I'd like something a little bit stronger. It's good, but I feel as if there's something that could better fit my local Scripps station. And V2 isn't that bad. It could last a while longer really, we just don't like long-tenured graphics here on this site. Although there have been some pretty good things being created lately.

Ok so V2 isn't that bad but since I watch WDIV as well I always feel like Renderon short-changed Scripps a little bit. Grahams graphics somehow seem better to me. To be honest if they got rid of the social media box and moved the LIVE bug up to the upper left that would totally satisfy me. The fact that our box is still the V1 orange color is another thing I dislike. Everything else at the station is blue. But the graphics are definitely better than V1 and are adequate. I just want V3 to be that much more like a tighter and flashier package.

As for themes, I'll take Eyewitness news back in a heartbeat.

This new ad had an interesting L3, it debuted today:

I think it's a reuse or based on the graphics that appear during programs promoting the next newscast. It's the same shape at least. It also resembles a tail-fin on a car.

Either Renderon short-changed Scripps, or Scripps had demands that resulted in relatively subpar work.

From my perspective, the current Scripps graphics are definitely better than the McGraw-Hill stuff they replaced. KMGH diluted it a lot when they upgraded their newscasts to HD in 2008, and by 2012 the look had aged terribly. (It never held a lot of appeal to me, anyway, and neither did the WLS look it was based on)

Either Renderon short-changed Scripps, or Scripps had demands that resulted in relatively subpar work.

From my perspective, the current Scripps graphics are definitely better than the McGraw-Hill stuff they replaced. KMGH diluted it a lot when they upgraded their newscasts to HD in 2008, and by 2012 the look had aged terribly. (It never held a lot of appeal to me, anyway, and neither did the WLS look it was based on)

I think it was probably the latter, I can't imagine Scripps being willing to accept a package they didn't approve of.

Archived