Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

I've noticed KGTV posting quite of bit of stories from simplemost.com on its Facebook page. Is this site owned by Scripps?

Domain Name: simplemost.com

Registry Domain ID: 1941906339_DOMAIN_COM-VRSN

Registrar WHOIS Server: whois.markmonitor.com

Registrar URL: http://www.markmonitor.com

Updated Date: 2015-06-25T10:03:00-0700

Creation Date: 2015-06-25T10:03:00-0700

Registrar Registration Expiration Date: 2016-06-25T10:03:00-0700

Registrar: MarkMonitor, Inc.

Registrar IANA ID: 292

Registrar Abuse Contact Email: [email protected]

Registrar Abuse Contact Phone: +1.2083895740

Domain Status: clientUpdateProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited)

Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited)

Domain Status: clientDeleteProhibited (https://www.icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited)

Registry Registrant ID:

Registrant Name: Host Master

Registrant Organization: The E. W. Scripps Company

Registrant Street: 312 Walnut Street,

Registrant City: Cincinnati

Registrant State/Province: OH

Registrant Postal Code: 45202

Yes it is, but they're not very transparent about that for some reason. And conveniently the infinite scrolling prevents you from clicking the footer links to the terms of service that state it's operated by Scripps.

I guess at the very least this site separates the utter garbage that is the click-bait social media drivel-passed-off-as-journalism this site is chock full of from the actual news sites.

• Like 2

[ATTACH=full]2444[/ATTACH] Anybody want a bowl of Scripps brand cereal? This is from WXYZ's brand new morning promo. The show is likely being converted back to a traditional 2 anchors with Weather and Traffic together format after having been expanded in April to include a live center and social media component... That conversion effort fell very very flat...

I'll upload the full promo later...

Is it part of our complete breakfast?

I have reason to believe WFTS has switched over to VizRT based on a tip I received and some video evidence I posted below. It looks like this happened a couple weeks ago.

Look closely at the lower thirds in this video:

And the "before":

Nothing too exciting. It helps to see the videos on YouTube so they're bigger and you can make out more detail.

Sharper text, darker orange, slower social box... Looks smoother overall.

I have reason to believe WFTS has switched over to VizRT based on a tip I received and some video evidence I posted below. It looks like this happened a couple weeks ago.

Look closely at the lower thirds in this video:

And the "before":

Nothing too exciting. It helps to see the videos on YouTube so they're bigger and you can make out more detail.

Not to mention a more seamless transition because the center part of the lower thirds is already there upon transition.

Yes it is, but they're not very transparent about that for some reason. And conveniently the infinite scrolling prevents you from clicking the footer links to the terms of service that state it's operated by Scripps.

I guess at the very least this site separates the utter garbage that is the click-bait social media drivel-passed-off-as-journalism this site is chock full of from the actual news sites.

Well, that would explain why they keep posting/linking to useless content on their Facebook page. For those interested in getting better wifi coverage or what ABC Family's Christmas lineup will be, then simplemost.com is the place to visit...

Maybe it's just me but this seems like an advertisement for BGE on WMAR's Instagram account:

[MEDIA=instagram]9zuCjcpy4x[/MEDIA]

You may not see the caption in the embed but here it is:

• Saving energy is saving money! Homeowners everywhere are becoming more knowledgeable of their energy consumption habits. Here in the Baltimore area, Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) makes it easy to follow with the My Account feature. Visit BGE.com

image-jpeg.2444

Anybody want a bowl of Scripps brand cereal?

The first thing I thought of was the infamous WMMS "Buzzard Morning Zoo Corn Flakes" that Pick-n-Pay (a long-gone Cleveland grocery chain) actually SOLD back in 1988. They were redressed store-brand corn flakes.

1_bbdf829b2f031137bd081dfff776751a.jpg

• Like 2

The first thing I thought of was the infamous WMMS "Buzzard Morning Zoo Corn Flakes" that Convenient Food Mart actually SOLD back in 1988.

The fact that someone faked a cereal box so well is ridiculous... The fact that someone actually sold some us crazy....

• Like 1

Maybe it's just me but this seems like an advertisement for BGE on WMAR's Instagram account:

[MEDIA=instagram]9zuCjcpy4x[/MEDIA]

You may not see the caption in the embed but here it is:

• Saving energy is saving money! Homeowners everywhere are becoming more knowledgeable of their energy consumption habits. Here in the Baltimore area, Baltimore Gas and Electric (BGE) makes it easy to follow with the My Account feature. Visit BGE.com

Wonder if that has something to do with http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/11/9/scripps-sells-ads-to-look-like-news

The fact that someone faked a cereal box so well is ridiculous... The fact that someone actually sold some us crazy....

Well, the WMMS Buzzard Morning Zoo was commanding insane double digits in the Cleveland ratings back in 1988. It was naturally heavily promoted on-air.

If I remember the timeline correctly, the late Brian Chalmers (who later was in WKYC's art department) was behind most, if not all, of the art. David Helton - the artist who co-created the WMMS Buzzard, and was the station's in-house artist for years - had left or was in the process of leaving to do mostly freelance and eventually join WMJI-FM... both artists were and are insanely talented.

I honestly don't know. In the years past all the stations used their talent (or retired) to promote BGE's energy saver program, which is a program that allows BGE to control your condenser to save energy on hot summer days - where it runs half the time. Stations for years (save for WBAL who previously used a generic spokesperson who now uses retired meteorologist John Collins) used their news talent to promote the program. Although it is advertising I think stations turned the other way ethically realizing its for a good cause - energy conservation.

The first thing I thought of was the infamous WMMS "Buzzard Morning Zoo Corn Flakes" that Pick-n-Pay (a long-gone Cleveland grocery chain) actually SOLD back in 1988. They were redressed store-brand corn flakes.

WMMS was really creative and clever back in its heyday before Clear Channel bought the station and killed any soul that was at 100.7. Back to the cereal, this does get me wondering if WEWS will make a "Power of 5" cereal that's sold at either Marc's or Giant Eagle.:D

• Like 3

The new Assistant ND at KJRH really doesn't like democrats http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/10/29/really

But Scripps has decided to keep her despite her bias, and make her the attention of a story for a charity http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/11/5/right-wing-deuce-to-dance-for-cash

She'd probably fit more with Sinclair or Nexstar since they both have a bias towards Republicans, though I'm surprised Scripps kept her despite her bias. In fact, I wonder what the employees at KJRH think about that.

I'm not sure if this was the thread where we were discussing inaccuracies in their traffic tickers. It looks like it has improved and in the few instances mentioned during the traffic report the traffic appeared correct on the ticker.

• Like 1

She'd probably fit more with Sinclair or Nexstar since they both have a bias towards Republicans, though I'm surprised Scripps kept her despite her bias. In fact, I wonder what the employees at KJRH think about that.

They cited an employee from the station in the article who expressed concern that any edits to their stories that were made may be attempts to push a partisan idea onto viewers.

Additionally, it looks like Scripps might have stepped in as her Twitter no longer exists, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have made a new one. It's disappointing to see that she still has a job though. She sounds like hell to work with.

They cited an employee from the station in the article who expressed concern that any edits to their stories that were made may be attempts to push a partisan idea onto viewers.

Additionally, it looks like Scripps might have stepped in as her Twitter no longer exists, but that doesn't mean she couldn't have made a new one. It's disappointing to see that she still has a job though. She sounds like hell to work with.

She should've been hired at any of the Nexstar or Sinclair stations, not a Scripps station of all stations she could've been in.

• 1 month later...

It's been awhile since I put anything up but the dizzying unnecessarily moving vertical promos WXYZ has been putting out seemed worth showing:

This one is for their "Taking Action For You" reporter Ronnie Dahl released in July, this one started the trend of not being really clear or one solid image:

This one is for their Investigative unit from September:

Weather released just tonight, pretty well written relative to the recent ones they've put out and toned down from the other two probably at the behest of their brand new CSD:

• 2 weeks later...

Well another year another bizarre promo for WXYZ's coverage as the official station of the North American International Auto Show. The coverage is very mature... the promos are really strange. Why did they put Oh Yeah on the screen in big letters towards the end? What is that line even there for?

The promo is significantly toned down from last year thanks in part to a change in their Creative Services management.

WXYZ also has a new severe weather ticker which is at the top of the screen:

Previously this was a red ticker at the bottom that simply scrolled along with a county/radar map in the upper right corner. The ticker didn't have logo's or anything on it and neither did the map. It was as bare bones as it gets.

Finally WXYZ just put out this 30 second promo for their news brand and it's commitment to Detroit:

Wow did WXYZ really just now get that weather ticker? KSHB has had it for months. I'm quite a fan of it.

We haven't had much severe weather here to use it for but it arrived sometime within the last month... When we had our mid November snowstorm it was still the old ticker... Maybe Scripps goes alphabetically? When the V2 graphics debuted in March or April of 2012 we had to sit with V1 until September 12th... That made us maybe the last or darn close to get switched over.