Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

The word Decision stands out to me but the others look normal if more spaced out...

I noticed that as well. It could be that the text is not in bold as it currently is at the other stations. Here's a screen grab from KGTV:capture_20160215_201703.thumb.jpg.cbd9384a138dca4734cb97685c7cc714.jpg

• Like 1

WPTV is promoting their new "Chopper 5" on Facebook. Oddly enough it has the same call sign N83U as their previous bird. Looks like it just got a paint job and the FAA agrees.

Edit: It looks like they just gutted it. Apparently they ditched the SD equipment and replaced the gimbal with an UHD camera and 1080p cameras inside. None of which you can see over the air except for better quality.

Edit 2: Yeah, watching the video they are touting the Ultra HD a bit much. They're using the Flir UltraMedia HD which uses the Sony HDC 1500 head on a gimbal.

I don't like how stark red it is, but red is also my least favorite color.

I wish KSHB would repaint their chopper, and by that I mean update their logo since they share it with KCTV. But really, how many people are looking at a station's chopper? Most of the time it's in the air and hard to identify from the ground, or it's sitting in the hangar, so updating a logo isn't that big of a deal haha.

Most people still look up when they hear the choppers.

In San Diego KFMB offers rewards to viewers that find pieces of Chopper 8 (bolts,rotor blades, skids etc...) in the back yard... or a local park.

One Spring Valley man even found a little dog on his roof....

Which to this day KFMB denies being "Flyer"...The dog that belonged to Jason Austell...who died while shooting a Chopper 8 promo....

RIP

Flyer

(for the last 400 feet)

jasonaustell.jpg.b9dc791b597df41ec3837d18746cbb0e.jpg

• Like 4

I don't like how stark red it is, but red is also my least favorite color.

I wish KSHB would repaint their chopper, and by that I mean update their logo since they share it with KCTV. But really, how many people are looking at a station's chopper? Most of the time it's in the air and hard to identify from the ground, or it's sitting in the hangar, so updating a logo isn't that big of a deal haha.

If there's a lot of helicopters in the air I'll look up. Having a distinctive color scheme that's featured in promos would allow keen viewers to see that your on the scene. Logos on the side probably aren't that big of the deal because most people won't be able to see it for long. The main reason why stations likely have elaborate design is for promo's. WJZ has a rather bland looking helicopter that's dark red and black that just has NEWS in large text on the sides with a small CBS Eye and 13 logo. This helicopter is never used in promos and they use their old bird.

• Like 1

WFTS is hiring a "Local Program Producer" and "Local Talk Show Host". It's a "non-news" show with the "primary purpose to generate sales revenue".

My prediction from August 2014 may be coming true.

I'm willing to bet that you'll see Scripps stations start launching their own versions of "The Morning Blend" once the Journal merger goes through, too. It would be pretty easy to turn that show into one of those national/local hybrids if they wanted to go that route.
  • Like 1

Looks like Scripps really isn't doing so hot.. http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/26/the-associated-press-ew-scripps-reports-4q-loss.html

It's also ironic. Scripps was so CHEAP that they went off and made all sorts of decisions in an attempt to save money and eventually generate it, yet here they are now LOSING money and the company value on a steady decline. I wonder what their excuse will be this time?

Their shows, like The Now, The List, etc., aren't working and have damaged many of their stations. It's all but destroyed KSHB in Kansas City. So if it continues to fail, why stick with it?

• Like 1

Looks like Scripps really isn't doing so hot.. http://www.cnbc.com/2016/02/26/the-associated-press-ew-scripps-reports-4q-loss.html

It's also ironic. Scripps was so CHEAP that they went off and made all sorts of decisions in an attempt to save money and eventually generate it, yet here they are now LOSING money and the company value on a steady decline. I wonder what their excuse will be this time?

Their shows, like The Now, The List, etc., aren't working and have damaged many of their stations. It's all but destroyed KSHB in Kansas City. So if it continues to fail, why stick with it?

They are losing money because they aren't spending the money to make money. They will go under at some point and be forced to sell stuff...

• Like 2

At this rate all they will have in a few years as assets will be the licenses...

Transmitters will all be leased or contracted out as transmitter/space packages....all property will have been sold off for profit....and the entire Scripps chain will exist only on worthless debt riddled paper....to be sold to the highest bidder.

Same goes for Clearchannel, Tengna,MG,Nexstar,etc etc...

By 2030 the traditional TV license will be worthless...and all video entertainment will be IP based over cell towers.

A "TV station" will reside in a typical office building with terminals and labor only.

The only analog devices will be the camera lens.... mic....and the analog robots that operate all of it.

• Like 1

They are losing money because they aren't spending the money to make money. They will go under at some point and be forced to sell stuff...
Then ABC having a 20% stake on Scripps (and/or maybe buying it altogether, except for non-ABC assets and KIVI/KSAW-LD) isn't so ridiculous now, is it?

Besides that, Scripps was already losing money even before cheapening the stations.

Then ABC having a 20% stake on Scripps (and/or maybe buying it altogether, except for non-ABC assets and KIVI/KSAW-LD) isn't so ridiculous now, is it?

Why is it that people have this obsession with ABC investing in or buying Scripps? ABC is small change to Disney and ABC doesn't buy.

• Like 1

More like, why is it that people are always doubtful that ABC would ever buy any station?

Based on their long term history and ABC's hierarchy on the Disney totempole.

Also, ABC O&O stations tend to be the ratings leader in their market. Why would they want to own stations that have been starved ratings wise and are in debt?

Based on their long term history and ABC's hierarchy on the Disney totempole.

Also, ABC O&O stations tend to be the ratings leader in their market. Why would they want to own stations that have been starved ratings wise and are in debt?

To raise them up. The risk factor being the reason why I think they should only invest up to 20% to minimize risk in case the venture fails.

Or maybe he has stock in Scripps???

That Grandpa left him???

I wish. If I did own shares of both Scripps and Disney/ABC though, I would advocate that ABC own 20% of Scripps.

Disney doesn't even want to own 20% of ABC/O&O's, let alone 20% of Scripps. Don't understand why mardek keeps bringing this crap up repeatedly...
If they really don't, my guess is that Scripps purposely cheapened itself so that it wouldn't be bought by anyone.
  • Like 1

Cutting to the bone is usually a preparation for a sale, not a deterrent to it. What Scripps does have to deter a sale is two classes of stock, one of which is held by the Scripps family. It would be they who determined whether or not to sell the company, which appears to be trying desperately not to throw in the towel - or pretending they still care.

they're spending plenty of money... you just don't see it... go to any of the former journal communications stations and ask how much scripps has invested in them... many are adding staff like crazy & upgrading equipment left and right... WTMJ is running out of space in their newsroom to put new staff...

it's no coincidence they turned a profit this time last year and not this year... since then they bought a bunch of poorly run stations that need a ton of money sunk into them... JBG was cheap... cheap in the way they would rather keep paying union engineers to sit around for hours a day doing nothing between shows instead of spending big bucks automating the control room... now it's up to scripps to make those investments and they ain't cheap...