Scripps - General Discussion

ns8401
Message added by Weeters,

Thread Note: Since Scripps has indicated they intend to run ION Media as a separate entity from their existing (mostly) news-producing stations, ION discussion has been relocated to a new thread.

Wow did WXYZ really just now get that weather ticker? KSHB has had it for months. I'm quite a fan of it.

So now the upper third is also being claimed by Scripps?

Now we will see all those "courtesy of" video credits creep lower into the frames.

No Bueno!

So now the upper third is also being claimed by Scripps?

Now we will see all those "courtesy of" video credits creep lower into the frames.

No Bueno!

Why wouldn't it be. Scripps creates virtually all the other graphics. It's not a bad ticker even. Much better than Hearst's which is a ribbon composed of 3 separate tickers plus the map.

Why wouldn't it be. Scripps creates virtually all the other graphics. It's not a bad ticker even. Much better than Hearst's which is a ribbon composed of 3 separate tickers plus the map.

There's a map!? I find maps during severe weather useless as usually you can't really make out the counties - especially if you live in a large DMA. I think the Hearst ticker was designed so you can see the alerts county by county at quick glance while the line below it shows the detailed alert information.

There's a map!? I find maps during severe weather useless as usually you can't really make out the counties - especially if you live in a large DMA. I think the Hearst ticker was designed so you can see the alerts county by county at quick glance while the line below it shows the detailed alert information.

One of the benefits of Michigan is that they laid it out in a grid... All the counties are big... Our DMA has 7 counties and 4 million people...

One of the benefits of Michigan is that they laid it out in a grid... All the counties are big... Our DMA has 7 counties and 4 million people...

You see, that's useful. KC's is something like 31 counties with some single digit million number of people as well. A 30+ county map on the ticker compared to 7.

You see, that's useful. KC's is something like 31 counties with some single digit million number of people as well. A 30+ county map on the ticker compared to 7.

It's actually 10.. I was trying to go from memory.. Still picking your area is really easy on it

Is it Missouri or is Kansas involved too? Kind of an ignorant question but I know it gets a little interesting in that area with what's covered...

Here's that map by the way:

image.thumb.png.b3ceceed7a7d2c38876042c0fb1f5078.png

It's actually 10.. I was trying to go from memory.. Still picking your area is really easy on it

Is it Missouri or is Kansas involved too? Kind of an ignorant question but I know it gets a little interesting in that area with what's covered...

It's both states. It's kind of a weird DMA as it overlaps with other markets, especially Topeka. Both Topeka and KC "claim" some counties as being in their DMA and will cover them if necessary. Depending on where you live you will easily get both markets.

It's large too, ranging from the MO/IA and KS/NE borders halfway down to the OK and AR borders. Since all stations only have one transmitter, severe weather coverage in the spring can be especially frustrating if the stations are tracking a tornado near the MO/IA border that isn't affecting 99.99% of the viewing area.

• Like 1

I remember the old days where weather watches or warnings would be denoted by a big "W" or a tiny cartoon thunderstorm or tornado. But I digress.

Still in use here at WBAL and WJZ. I think WMAR does it for certain events as well.

Not sure if this has been used for awhile. I just noticed this tonight on WEWS 6pm newscast with new Scripps lighthouse close.

I'm in Nashville right now, and WTVF was using the old one the other day... they're using the new one now.

Not sure if this has been used for awhile. I just noticed this tonight on WEWS 6pm newscast with new Scripps lighthouse close.

It's about time they replaced it... WXYZ doesn't use music (or the Scripps lighthouse ident outside of 6am and 6pm) over theirs so the little music chime is still the same for the new one when I saw it on today's 6am...

Here's the new Scripps slate with it's sound effect intact:

Note that the name is simply Scripps after the year. It was done this way in 2014 and before as well. For 2015 they used "Scripps Media Inc."... It's too bad the bugs are placed in such a way that it slightly covers the lettering. This did debut on New Years Day by the way.

Note that the name is simply Scripps after the year. It was done this way in 2014 and before as well. For 2015 they used "Scripps Media Inc."... It's too bad the bugs are placed in such a way that it slightly covers the lettering. This did debut on New Years Day by the way.

Wonder if the Journal stations got a different version last year then. WTMJ was using "Copyright 2015, Scripps" since April 1st.

Wonder if the Journal stations got a different version last year then. WTMJ was using "Copyright 2015, Scripps" since April 1st.

I know when WXYZ does lower thirds with copyrights it'll say Scripps like you described on the top half and it'll have the Give Light slogan on the bottom half... The Scripps Media one debuted 1/1/15 so I'm guessing they redid it for the Journal stations. Are they technically Scripps Media Inc. or what? I've seen that and Scripps and E.W. Scripps used interchangeably...

Interestingly the ones for "The List" have always said just the year and Scripps so they didn't change the syndicated ones last year...

boy, they really wanted to reinforce the Scripps name. The thing is that here in San Diego, there are several entities that have the Scripps name: Scripps Hospital, Scripps Institution of Oceanography and then there is the community of Scripps Ranch. I'm surprised that KGTV didn't brand themselves as Scripps 10 News.

boy, they really wanted to reinforce the Scripps name. The thing is that here in San Diego, there are several entities that have the Scripps name: Scripps Hospital, Scripps Institution of Oceanography and then there is the community of Scripps Ranch. I'm surprised that KGTV didn't brand themselves as Scripps 10 News.

There is that gang called "The Scripps"...they fight "The Bloods".

• Like 4

Reminds me of this:

• Like 1