ABC's 20/20

NYNewser_676

Since I couldn't find a topic about 20/20, here it is... and tonight, ABC will be devoting the entire program to the life and death of Robin Williams anchored by David Muir, with contributions from Barbara Walters. Does anyone know if NBC/CBS are doing anything similar?

It sems like NBC doesn't give a SH!T about a special LOL

I don't know. That comment seems to be very unfair. First, nowhere in the TV rule book does it require that a network does a special every time a celebrity dies. Two, if CBS doesn't do one, what would make them any different than NBC? Three, Robin's breakout role was on an ABC sitcom. How do we know that that's the only reason they're doing something?

I bet the reason why ABC is doing that is because part of Barbra's duties post retirement is to do special programs - like this for instance.

From what I've heard, it sounds like Muir will anchor this broadcast. Barbara's interview(s) might be featured (along with Diane's from 200-something), but she's probably not making an appearance, otherwise.

I'm watching right now. Barbara did the second story that was featured after the first break. Robin Williams is a big star but he wasn't relevant of late so I doubt NBC and CBS will broadcast specials. Why is ABC doing a special and not the others?

1. ABC has enough footage and personalities to do specials like this

2. Robin Williams got his start on ABC

3. ABC has no hit shows in the summer like CBS and NBC do so they have room to preempt

4. Ben Sherwood controls the network now and I'm sure he's willing to give the news division as many specials and shows in primetime as they want. Between GMA, World News, World News Now, Nightline, 20/20, 20/20 Weekend, GMA Weekend, World News Weekend, their Special Reports which interrupt programs at times NBC and CBS don't; ABC probably broadcasts the most news programs out of all the broadcasts networks; not to mention the O&Os have expanded their afternoon newscasts (it's arguable whether their news is really hard news or softcore, female-oriented, showbiz news but it's still news)

I'm watching right now. Barbara did the second story that was featured after the first break. Robin Williams is a big star but he wasn't relevant of late so I doubt NBC and CBS will broadcast specials. Why is ABC doing a special and not the others?

1. ABC has enough footage and personalities to do specials like this

2. Robin Williams got his start on ABC

3. ABC has no hit shows in the summer like CBS and NBC do so they have room to preempt

4. Ben Sherwood controls the network now and I'm sure he's willing to give the news division as many specials and shows in primetime as they want. Between GMA, World News, World News Now, Nightline, 20/20, 20/20 Weekend, GMA Weekend, World News Weekend, their Special Reports which interrupt programs at times NBC and CBS don't; ABC probably broadcasts the most news programs out of all the broadcasts networks; not to mention the O&Os have expanded their afternoon newscasts (it's arguable whether their news is really hard news or softcore, female-oriented, showbiz news but it's still news)

I notice that CBS has a recent tendency to not break in for special reports (especially when the president speaks), while NBC and ABC do. When it comes to liberal media, I guess I would call ABC and NBC the most liberal, and CBS the most conservative (this is not including FOX of course). At least that's the way it appears.

Also don't forget NY Med is produced by ABC News if I'm not mistaken and The View might be as well.

What would you do? also falls under ABC News, as does the "From Hell" or whatever they were calling that show that was supposed to air tonight.

I notice that CBS has a recent tendency to not break in for special reports (especially when the president speaks), while NBC and ABC do. When it comes to liberal media, I guess I would call ABC and NBC the most liberal, and CBS the most conservative (this is not including FOX of course). At least that's the way it appears.

Don't think it has anything to do with liberal/conservative as much as it has to do with #s. People don't watch CBS News but they do watch their entertainment programming where as it's vice versa with ABC.

I don't even think it has so much to do with ratings. ABC, and NBC to a lesser extent have always flipped their schedules on their heads for the summer, where CBS pretty much continues with repeats of regular season shows. The two former networks have more flexibility to air what they want, when they want. CBS News doesn't typically put this kind of special on due to the recent direction of the division and I'd even say for the lack of resources. Who'd anchor a celebrity death tribute? Pelley? O'Donnell? Maybe Lesley Stahl? ABC also has the vast archive of interviews to dig into for such a tribute.

And it worked in ABC's favor once all was said and done...

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/7-2-million-watch-2020-robin-williams-special_b235292

CBS News doesn't typically put this kind of special on due to the recent direction of the division

I would say this is why. CBS News always likes to run promos that proclaim they cover "more real news" than ABC or NBC. They tend to shy away from fluff like ABC and to an extent, NBC.

I would say this is why. CBS News always likes to run promos that proclaim they cover "more real news" than ABC or NBC. They tend to shy away from fluff like ABC and to an extent, NBC.

See but in this case, they are taking the "real news" stance way too seriously... this is someone that America, and the world, knew and loved on an almost personal level, and many people didn't just feel regular, but were distraught at the news as if Robin Williams was a close friend or family member. It is real news, and I think it will work against them if they continue to omit coverage on these kinds of things.

CBS did in fact break the news first, getting it in to the end of the East Coast edition of Evening News then produced a special report at 7:04, before ABC or NBC broke in.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/robin-williams-dead-at-age-63_b235113

Well I know at around 6:56 (according to the article, it said 6:58, but I thought it was earlier) or so, I was listening to WCBS 880, and they said that "the CBS evening news is reporting Robin Williams is dead. We don't know much about this other than what they're reporting" or something like that, and I was like "What? Oh my god" (as you would expect, I reacted like anybody else would). And the CBS radio network did a report on it at 7:01 or so during the "CBS world news roundup: late edition". So CBS was reporting the news before 7:00.

I would beg to differ. I believe that CBS is the most liberal, followed by NBC and then ABC.

If you include cable news channels, then from left to right: MSNBC, CBS News, NBC News, CNN, ABC News, Fox News

I would beg to differ. I believe that CBS is the most liberal, followed by NBC and then ABC.

If you include cable news channels, then from left to right: MSNBC, CBS News, NBC News, CNN, ABC News, Fox News

haha, no way for ABC. They seem to be proud of their left bias. I'd say all but FOX are obviously to the left. As I always say, TV is more suited for liberals while radio is more conservative and then online as a whole is pretty balanced, but mainstream websites like Google are undoubtedly liberal and they don't do anything to hide their stance. Newspapers are hit and miss. Some are liberal, others are conservative. Location in the country doesn't seem to play a part.

sorry for going off topic

I once heard someone say that television news must be liberal by definition to some degree. CNN is the most moderate out of the cable channels, with MSNBC to the far left and Fox News to the far right. All three major broadcast networks have liberal leans of varying degrees, with all three of them making recent efforts to provide "both sides" of the story. CBS makes the extra effort to try and remain unbiased, while NBC and ABC are pretty much equal in their efforts.

(And I too apologize for going off topic)

Archived