NBC Nightly News

tvnewsjunkie

I want him to be pushed for his credibility and how good he is and not because of a quota or cause he is gay. It is not homphobic, it is common sense never wearing who you are on your sleeve and staying professional.

Look at the links and headlines I put on my post. First gay evening news anchor, don't care really as long as you are good in your profession and have the background to back up why he got the spot. At least with Anderson Cooper he established him first and never wore his sexuality on his sleeve climbing up the ladder. It is about avoiding agenda and NBC has a bad enough rep for being an agenda setting network.

I don't recall NBC pushing some kind of agenda in regards to Roberts. Did I miss the press release where they tout that a gay man is anchoring Nightly News? And BTW, Roberts was already established by the time he jumped over to NBC. How much more established do you need him to be before you are satisfied?

And IIRC, didn't Roberts come out after/as a result of him coming forward and sharing his experience of getting abused by a priest?

Max Robinson was the first African American to be an evening anchor. Yes it was more of a rotation anchor team but he was technically the first. I will say that I don't see anything wrong with Roberts claiming to be the first openly gay man to anchor an evening network broadcast (even though there some discrepancy about that but that's another story).

Max Robinson was the first African American to be an evening anchor. Yes it was more of a rotation anchor team but he was technically the first. I will say that I don't see anything wrong with Roberts claiming to be the first openly gay man to anchor an evening network broadcast (even though there some discrepancy about that but that's another story).

Max Robinson is the first but he was co-anchor not a solo news anchor and eventually Peter Jennings took over and Max Robinson was demoted to weekend anchor. Lester Holt is the first solo African American evening news anchor and the first African American evening news anchor to ever host Nightly News and Dateline.

We're throwing around the 'phobics' like they're baseballs!

I'm one of those gays, and I think Thomas Roberts is awful and not evening anchor material.

Robin Red brings up solid points and I agree with a bunch of it.

NBC would be smart not to bring anyone over from MSNBC.

• Like 2

Too bad Andy what's his name is working to bring the two networks together and end the apparent discord the two have had for years.

Andy Lack and the strategy makes sense. If you want to push MSNBC more in the hard news direction in the daytime (which I think is the right idea), aligning it closely with NBC News makes a lot of sense.

Andy Lack and the strategy makes sense. If you want to push MSNBC more in the hard news direction in the daytime (which I think is the right idea), aligning it closely with NBC News makes a lot of sense.

MSNBC and NBC once upon a time were closely aligned before it started leaning ultra left. I think the new MSNBC is no different from the old ultra left MSNBC the only difference is that they got more NBC reporters covering the network. The culture still remains the same with leftists like Rachel Maddow, Chris Matthews etc. Old MSNBC back in early 00's had better talent and direction, the new MSNBC talent are average, the best people have been female correspondents covering the election.

Brian Williams is bad to watch on MSNBC, he takes 30 seconds to make a point when it can be done in 10 seconds.

Tamron hall was supposed to fill in on nightly news but was benched due to the prince OD report

http://pagesix.com/2016/06/02/nightly-news-pulls-tamron-hall-after-word-of-princes-overdose/?_ga=1.170348517.434446806.1451930952

She has said repeatedly that he didn't have a drug problem. Unfortunately often times people won't notice drug use in people they care or know about. The thing about Fentanyl is that you wear a patch for three days to take care of your baseline pain and only use pills for break through pain or if you have end stage cancer they have fentanyl lollipops which dissolve in your mouth. The report doesn't mention the type of fentanyl he was on but if it was a patch and the reports he was battling the flu a fever could cause him to overdose. The patches release medication at a constant rate but if your body temperature is high you'll get a higher dosage.

I was put on the patches for about a year and a half while when I was having debilitating pain caused by a benign bone tumor. I fractured a vertebrae; had the entire vertebrae and disks removed; a bone graft and fusion; fractured another vertebrae during recovery; had another fusion; and a year later a final surgery.

As an aside Lester Holt appears to have cut his vacation short - he's anchoring from LA tonight. My man Jose was apparently scheduled to fill in.

It's probably used as a metaphor to motivate employees. All the little cogs and gears make the big one move.

The executives all see themselves as the biggest gears. The employees roll their eyes and don't think about the gears again.

• Like 3

Just checked out the great Dennis Degan's Flickr account and it's a clock showing time for twenty four different cities. If I had to guess like most gear style clocks it's just for decoration.

[MEDIA=flickr]26739796094[/MEDIA]

• Like 1

Well, I must say, that is one badass newsroom clock. It's like a timekeeper's and decorator's wet dream.

Yeah???

Tell that to the intern that has to re-set the thing at daylight savings time.

• 4 weeks later...

Jose Diaz-Balart is the new Saturday Nightly News anchor. Since he anchors Noticiero Telemundo weeknights and Enfoque on Sunday morning, he will be working 7 days a week. He will no longer anchor for MSNBC and Craig Melvin will take his hour.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jose-diaz-balart-nbc-nightly-news-saturday-1201813657/#article-comments

• Like 1

Jose Diaz-Balart is the new Saturday Nightly News anchor. Since he anchors Noticiero Telemundo weeknights and Enfoque on Sunday morning, he will be working 7 days a week. He will no longer anchor for MSNBC and Craig Melvin will take his hour.

http://variety.com/2016/tv/news/jose-diaz-balart-nbc-nightly-news-saturday-1201813657/#article-comments

As many of you know I'm a fan of his and glad he's getting his due. I will miss seeing him on MSNBC but this is such promotion. I wonder if he will have a day off during the week? I believe EnFoque is recorded during the week.

Jose Diaz Balart is okay but I am worried about his political conflicts of interest. He comes from a political family and he is getting a top anchor job on Nightly News, bad optics especailly trying to cross mainstream viewers. Should've gave the job to a veteran like Peter Alexander or continue to rotation, there was nothing wrong with the rotation. I am a firm believer that jobs for "neutral" evening news program should not be given that easily. Hey it is one day a week and I figure that since he is 50 something years old, he won't be considered a real prospect for NBC long term more like a floater.

• Like 1

Jose Diaz Balart is okay but I am worried about his political conflicts of interest. He comes from a political family and he is getting a top anchor job on Nightly News, bad optics especailly trying to cross mainstream viewers. Should've gave the job to a veteran like Peter Alexander or continue to rotation, there was nothing wrong with the rotation. I am a firm believer that jobs for "neutral" evening news program should not be given that easily. Hey it is one day a week and I figure that since he is 50 something years old, he won't be considered a real prospect for NBC long term more like a floater.

I know I'll come across as being biased but those are his brothers. Jose has proven in past interviews he can equally go after republicans as much as democrats (I'm inclined to believe he's leftward leaning). It's not like he's the wife of NBC's Political Director Chuck Todd who is a communications consult and is the co founder of a marketing company that caters towards democratic candidates. Or is the husband of Savannah Guthrie who was the traveling chief of staff for the Gore Campaign in 2000. All the aforementioned examples in my view aren't as bad as George Stephanopoulos who is the chief anchor / political correspondent at ABC who worked as the White House Communications Director and Senior advisor for policy and strategy under Bill Clinton. The previous three examples show that there may be some perceived bias given their spouses professions but none come close to actually being the chief anchor who WORKED for the White House in a senior level position.

I'm sure there are examples of republicans in the media who have family members that are active in the Republican Party but as I'm a democrat I don't pay attention to them.

• Like 1

George hasn't worked for the Clinton's since the mid 90's.

True but what I was getting at was that there are a lot of journalists who have closer relations to people in politics than simply being brothers.

I know I'll come across as being biased but those are his brothers. Jose has proven in past interviews he can equally go after republicans as much as democrats (I'm inclined to believe he's leftward leaning). It's not like he's the wife of NBC's Political Director Chuck Todd who is a communications consult and is the co founder of a marketing company that caters towards democratic candidates. Or is the husband of Savannah Guthrie who was the traveling chief of staff for the Gore Campaign in 2000. All the aforementioned examples in my view aren't as bad as George Stephanopoulos who is the chief anchor / political correspondent at ABC who worked as the White House Communications Director and Senior advisor for policy and strategy under Bill Clinton. The previous three examples show that there may be some perceived bias given their spouses professions but none come close to actually being the chief anchor who WORKED for the White House in a senior level position.

I'm sure there are examples of republicans in the media who have family members that are active in the Republican Party but as I'm a democrat I don't pay attention to them.

I am sure he is a decent guy and can keep his politics aside and do his job but becoming a network evening news anchor has higher standards then other mainstream anchor jobs. Evening news is the mirror and representation of the network and generally the best and most intergral journalist of that network anchors the evening news. Even when George S. was aiming for the evening news job, ABC had to be careful cause his ties to Clintons could damage their brand. A lot of viewers were concerned when Diane Sawyer got the evening news gig cause she used to be a political staffer to President Nixon. Doing a fluff job like GMA won't be as damaging as doing a legit evening news job where people still rely on evening news anchors to be truthful and free from conflicts of interest. Even though I seem to be overexaggerating, I am not cause after what happened with Brian Williams fiasco, a lot of viewers still care who hosts their evening news. Hopefully Jose won't go down that path but also think that in reality he is more a floater anchor then a legit prospect. When Lester was the weekend anchor, you could tell that he was the heir apparent and the second in command of Nightly News. I think right now Lester is the Admiral, Kate Snow as the second in command and Jose as the Ensign.

• Like 1