Moonves: CBS would "buy TV stations all over the country" if it wasn't for FCC cap

The Frog

The CEO said that CBS might sell some of its radio stations to help it focus on major markets. But he’d “buy TV stations all over the country” if the FCC lifts its restrictions on TV station ownership. Regulators currently bar a company from reaching more than 40% of all viewers and CBS-owned stations reach 38%. “The Mom and Pop (broadcast) guys are disappearing from the market because the big guys can maximize the value.”

https://deadline.com/2014/09/les-moonves-showtime-direct-to-consumers-internet-835816/

Can I say that the Tiffany Network is sounding like a TBTF scheme, like how the Wall Street banks were acting like 8 years ago?

they said the same thing 20 years ago, I remember the owner of WHDH saying the same thing when the sale to Ed Ansin happened. The difference though Ansin is probably the only "mom and pop" owner now than say in 93.

Selling some radio stations would give CBS more focus on the flagships even though they haven't made a profit in years. I hope CBS retains ownership of all existing Class A stations - still valuable even though on paper and probably listening to Class A is more of a novelty and DX showoffs on YT.

What markets would CBS want? Not going down a speculation route, they already got some nice properties, their existing flagships, and they got one station in each region (Dallas in the Deep South, Denver in the Rockies, South Florida in the Southeast, Sacramento in northern Cali), etc. What other middle of a region market would they want so bad? I'm thinking of the least thought market they would want so badly.

What markets would CBS want? Not going down a speculation route, they already got some nice properties, their existing flagships, and they got one station in each region (Dallas in the Deep South, Denver in the Rockies, South Florida in the Southeast, Sacramento in northern Cali), etc. What other middle of a region market would they want so bad? I'm thinking of the least thought market they would want so badly.

Austin would be a great market, considering the rapid growth of the city and it's position in the technology sector.

Austin would be a great market, considering the rapid growth of the city and it's position in the technology sector.

I've been to Austin as a kid, nice area. Nice state capital too, gone to another areas, would love to visit Dallas or Houston at some point. But anyways you must know more than I do - but in a market with mostly UHF, you think CBS would own such station? It's like a Hartford and NBC has been speculating getting out of WVIT for a while, so to me it wouldn't make sense.

Enlighten me what has changed in 15 years, Dell owned that part of the area, is there actually more than just Dell now to have a high tech job? Shocked! :)

If Austin were so important to them, they wouldn't have sold off KEYE.

My analysis: Moonves wishes he could pursue the FOX route of owning stations in as many AFC markets as possible to maximize retrans fees, maybe the larger sub-markets too.

If Austin were so important to them, they wouldn't have sold off KEYE.

My analysis: Moonves wishes he could pursue the FOX route of owning stations in as many AFC markets as possible to maximize retrans fees, maybe the larger sub-markets too.

I've wondered if there was a connection to KEYE, but didn't know for sure.

You might be right on the AFC, boy if they do buy up stations I can see more blackouts/breakdowns in retrans. My checkbook can't handle more upticks in retrans - memo to NFL!

This is a non-story. Les is just throwing a jab at the FCC.

CBS has kicked around divesting it's non-major market radio stations for a few years now. And, Les is out stoking the fires again bringing it up a few days ago and again today. Only issue there really is nobody to buy them. The rumored suitor that always comes up is Cumulus Media. Only issue is the MASSIVE amount of conflicts that would need to be resolved make it next to impossible. The only way such a deal would happen is if Oaktree got involved and engineered yet another deal where they "spin-down" some stations and assets to Townsquare Media.

Anyway, Les is basically saying "I'd really love to get rid of these slow growth Radio assets that don't align with our other assets. Hello, any takers out there." And then following it up with "Gee, if I had that money I'd love to buy more stations. TV is still valuable to invest in. I wish The Government wasn't standing in my way." I mean it would be like me saying "I'd love to sell all these HDDVD's I own. And, I'd like to get another TV with my windfall if only my wife would remove the ban on installing more TV's" It means nothing and it's easy to make a statement like that when you know the rules aren't going to change. Les may want more TV stations and I may want a TV's...neither are going to happen though.

Whatever happened to that idea that was floated around to raise the ownership cap into the mid 40s? Also, if CBS wants to concentrate ownership in AFC markets then they would need to get into Indy, San Diego, Buffalo, Cleveland, Houston, Kansas City, Nashville, Houston and Jacksonville. Would selling some of their CW stations in markets like Seattle and Atlanta give them enough cap space?

I would suggest buying a station in DC but I doubt Gannett would ever sell WUSA.

BTW I've been watching Murphy Brown reruns on Encore Classic and I can't help but think that Garry Marshall's character Stan Lansing looks like Les Moonves. Then again Les Moonves wasn't a part of CBS until 1995.

Can I say that the Tiffany Network is sounding like a TBTF scheme, like how the Wall Street banks were acting like 8 years ago?

I don't know if I would call CBS the Tiffany Network anymore. There programming is so methodical and panders to the lowest common denominator.

The show was produced by Warner Bros., Moonves's old place of employment. It's all probably a coincidence anyway though.

If CBS really were interested in buying more TV stations, KFMB seems like one of the only ones they could realistically get, as it's Midwest's only TV station. KHOU, for instance, would have to be pried from Gannett's cold, dead hands.

I would suggest buying a station in DC but I doubt Gannett would ever sell WUSA.

BTW I've been watching Murphy Brown reruns on Encore Classic and I can't help but think that Garry Marshall's character Stan Lansing looks like Les Moonves. Then again Les Moonves wasn't a part of CBS until 1995.

I don't know if I would call CBS the Tiffany Network anymore. There programming is so methodical and panders to the lowest common denominator.

More like Tupperware Network

The show was produced by Warner Bros., Moonves's old place of employment. It's all probably a coincidence anyway though.

If CBS really were interested in buying more TV stations, KFMB seems like one of the only ones they could realistically get, as it's Midwest's only TV station. KHOU, for instance, would have to be pried from Gannett's cold, dead hands.

KPRC may be an easier target. I'm sure Gannett would welcome NBC going to KHOU.

they said the same thing 20 years ago, I remember the owner of WHDH saying the same thing when the sale to Ed Ansin happened. The difference though Ansin is probably the only "mom and pop" owner now than say in 93.

Selling some radio stations would give CBS more focus on the flagships even though they haven't made a profit in years. I hope CBS retains ownership of all existing Class A stations - still valuable even though on paper and probably listening to Class A is more of a novelty and DX showoffs on YT.

Incorrect. There are still family-owned TV Stations all over the place ... Columbus, Indianapolis, Paducah, Charleston-Huntington, Wheeling, Youngstown, Raleigh, Lexington, Zanesville, Oklahoma City, Miami, Boston. You might even be able to throw Dayton in there. They are dwindling, but they're still there.

If they can't exist as stand-alone operations, I wish they would merge to keep them away from Wall Street.

Long live the family broadcaster. By and large, it's the best local TV left.

But they could always play dirty, like NBC does if they want the station bad enough. Or they can do what Fox did to get KTVU.

Glendive? :D

I'm really starting to think CBS might make a play for WTVF. A simple trade with Scripps for WTOG (which would make legal duopoly with WFTS) and bingo! Another AFC market in the book, not to mention a bit of relief on the ownership cap. The question is, would Scripps be interested? They would be in the drivers' seat if an offer was made.

Also, am I the only one who thinks this needs to be in the Speculatron?

shhhh! It started as an actual report of Moonves making speculative comments

Don't give the Deathstar any ideas! If anything they'd be better off selling KHOU first. Never liked their infatuation with the Peacock, seems like many of their affiliates are NBC.

Incorrect. There are still family-owned TV Stations all over the place ... Columbus, Indianapolis, Paducah, Charleston-Huntington, Wheeling, Youngstown, Raleigh, Lexington, Zanesville, Oklahoma City, Miami, Boston. You might even be able to throw Dayton in there. They are dwindling, but they're still there.

If they can't exist as stand-alone operations, I wish they would merge to keep them away from Wall Street.

Long live the family broadcaster. By and large, it's the best local TV left.

Well family owned stations today more difficult with the economic challenges + more regulation to any small business. And even if they are locally owned, they still have to report to the stakeholders to the owners. They have a responsibility to deliver the most value to the stakeholders. If they are not, they are doing them a disservice. it is what it is.

More like Tupperware Network

I was just using it as for a nostalgia. Wasn't around during the time it was best known for that status.

This is a non-story. Les is just throwing a jab at the FCC.

CBS has kicked around divesting it's non-major market radio stations for a few years now. And, Les is out stoking the fires again bringing it up a few days ago and again today. Only issue there really is nobody to buy them. The rumored suitor that always comes up is Cumulus Media. Only issue is the MASSIVE amount of conflicts that would need to be resolved make it next to impossible. The only way such a deal would happen is if Oaktree got involved and engineered yet another deal where they "spin-down" some stations and assets to Townsquare Media.

Anyway, Les is basically saying "I'd really love to get rid of these slow growth Radio assets that don't align with our other assets. Hello, any takers out there." And then following it up with "Gee, if I had that money I'd love to buy more stations. TV is still valuable to invest in. I wish The Government wasn't standing in my way." I mean it would be like me saying "I'd love to sell all these HDDVD's I own. And, I'd like to get another TV with my windfall if only my wife would remove the ban on installing more TV's" It means nothing and it's easy to make a statement like that when you know the rules aren't going to change. Les may want more TV stations and I may want a TV's...neither are going to happen though.

It is irritating on another angle, as Les' latest ego stroke is causing FUD in the radio industry. Seeing the FUD and Speculatron® in Tom Taylor and RAMP's daily email missive Thursday got me mad.

Outside of Cumulus (which is so laughable that I wonder why anyone still reads Rich Lieberman) Townsquare and Alpha Media are plausible suitors. Both are respected broadcast chains, but both also make strategic purchases.. Those two operate their chains the smart way and likely won't be making big deals with CBS for multiple clusters at maximum value.**

Tom Taylor suggested on Friday Dean Goodman's Digity chain could be up for some buying, but Goodman's last attempt at a mass buy of radio stations supposedly on the block didn't work out that well, so I'm putting little stock in that scenario.

It's a total nothingburger that shouldn't even be given any attention, period. I doubt that CBS will sell any stations. If they do, it will be one cluster in unsurprising moves, but nothing like what Les is talking about. Or, maybe they do what should have been done a decade ago and unload KFWB/980 to someone else instead of holding it in an uncompetitive trust.

** CBS's lone fire sale of a radio cluster occurred in December 2008, when they unloaded three FMs in Denver to Wilkis for $19M. Obviously it was a total panic move in the wake of the Bear Stearns and Lehman Brothers collapses and subsequent credit meltdown.

I agree for KFMB. CBS already has radio property in San Diego with KYXY and KEGY

If that were the case, then wouldn't he want to pursue the WOIO/WUAB duopoly in Cleveland? (Highly unlikely to begin with, as Raycom wouldn't want to give up their highest profile stations... would they?)

And playing off that logic, CBS would have to sell off the Cleveland radio cluster, including "92.3 The Fan" WKRK-FM and classic rock WNCX/98.5 ... who happen to be co-flagships for the Cleveland Browns.

Archived