KTLA's New Graphics (New Set?)

n925tv

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
News at 10 was classic before it became Prime News. As long as its "News at 10," a win-win in my books.

It would probably say News at 11 for the 11pm broadcast.

Indeed, that is what it said.

Also here is a Morning News shot with the addition of a crawler which we didn't see yesterday.

[MEDIA=twitter]786570500189196289[/MEDIA]

Mark Mester has a cool look at the new newsroom on his Snapchat.

Is it just me or does this studio look a lot smaller than the old one? The set feels more like BDI's run of the mill rather than something special.

Interesting to see they built the newsroom in the actual Stage 6 building. Modern and fresh looking, plus lots of TV's (over 57 58" TV's!). He said sometime in December the newsroom will be all ready. I originally thought they would remodel their current newsroom, but certainly not the case now. I can see now why construction has been taking this long, especially with dividing up the huge open studio space into different sections. The newly updated control rooms are also just around the corner, looking really nice as well. Wonder what's really in store for the current newsroom... but I'm getting the impression the wrecking ball will be the next thing.

I am loving these graphics for KTLA. I see they heavily modified KCPQ's graphics into its own thing. Also, I think the new logo is a little meh, but considering how atrocious logos have been the past few months, I'll take what I can get..

Tribune's in-house graphics department modified the graphics.

Is Tribune (or others) allowed to do that?

I would S&%T if somebody modified my work product and morphed it into their own design.

But I could be wrong if they got permission which I figure Tribune would ask for...or would they????(sinister laugh)

Is Tribune (or others) allowed to do that?

I would S&%T if somebody modified my work product and morphed it into their own design.

But I could be wrong if they got permission which I figure Tribune would ask for...or would they????(sinister laugh)

I don't think that Tribune Creative West is passing the updated KTLA gfx as their own. However, the only thing that was modified were the opens, everything else is new. I'm a bit perplexed as to why they kept the old opens when everything else is new, but I digress.

I don't think that Tribune Creative West is passing the updated KTLA gfx as their own. However, the only thing that was modified were the opens, everything else is new. I'm a bit perplexed as to why they kept the old opens when everything else is new, but I digress.

They probably ran out of money on something that was over budget(my guess) in the first place.

The openings were the ones that got the cheap treatment.

It's always money.

They probably ran out of money on something that was over budget(my guess) in the first place.

The openings were the ones that got the cheap treatment.

It's always money.

That's a possibility. But if the gfx department is in-house, I don't get how they would run out of money/not complete the gfx package when they're presumably already on the payroll. KTLA has been teasing new graphics for over a year now. If you check out their Youtube page, they have some promos for the morning news using the new graphics. One thing I noticed in those promo graphics was that they had the old dark blue/black colored logo before it got updated to the current blue/white. Either they have not created/updated the opens with the new logo, or they did not like the opens and thus decided to keep using the Hothaus opens-albeit modified.

That's a possibility. But if the gfx department is in-house, I don't get how they would run out of money/not complete the gfx package when they're presumably already on the payroll. .

On a project that size...and in that market,...it would not be unusual to have a few day hires on the project.

Hours were allotted and, believe me every single hour and dollar is being watched.

In the old days (pre-1920's) the News Director walked into the stuffy graphics / CS room and said "Boys, here is an open checkbook...make me something sexy".

It helped that the ND also tossed in a case of Johnny Walker Red...but I digress.

Ya got a point though...

Why the hell stop, when you already got a real nice product being finished?

Unless the designer died mid-project , my guess is they ran out of money or hours...or both.

Time just may have been up, and it was ready to air as is.

Does anyone know where the area that Ginger Chan does the traffic and also the area where Glenn Walker does sports for the morning news. Those areas still look the same. They must not have been in the same building as the old set.

Does anyone know where the area that Ginger Chan does the traffic and also the area where Glenn Walker does sports for the morning news. Those areas still look the same. They must not have been in the same building as the old set.

Those rooms are in the current newsroom building, just off to the right of where the newsroom reports are done. I'll bet they'll get new sets for those rooms when they move to their new newsroom in (hopefully) December.

I am loving these graphics for KTLA. I see they heavily modified KCPQ's graphics into its own thing. Also, I think the new logo is a little meh, but considering how atrocious logos have been the past few months, I'll take what I can get..

Really, the package is a combo of the KCPQ graphics, KTLA's former Hothaus package (it seems interesting that Tribune Creative West was allowed to even use the open templates from that package and modify it on their own) and to some extent, the WPIX graphics (the style of the lower thirds moderately resembles WPIX's, if you look closely).

Really, the package is a combo of the KCPQ graphics, KTLA's former Hothaus package (it seems interesting that Tribune Creative West was allowed to even use the open templates from that package and modify it on their own) and to some extent, the WPIX graphics (the style of the lower thirds moderately resembles WPIX's, if you look closely).

And if you look really close, you will find the DNA of an Armadillo.

Archived