KTLA's New Graphics (New Set?)

n925tv

Sorry no pictures, but just saw a promo for tomorrow's KTLA Morning News 5 minutes ago. They are using some new graphics, they look pretty good to me! Probably KTLA is getting some new graphics, it's been maybe 5 years since the last major graphics switch? Also, I've been hearing talk on the street about KTLA getting a new State of the Art set, but this is also unconfirmed. Any more info, please share! Stay tuned...

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I ran to the TV when I heard the 2nd promo 15 minutes ago, please excuse the poor photo quality. I'm digging these new graphics!

[ATTACH]1428.IPB[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]1429.IPB[/ATTACH]

image.thumb.jpg.77ecbacc2b23cd57762746e1cf44b48e.jpg

20141016_185732.thumb.jpg.6713181ae032340009f8ad79b137ce10.jpg

I'm sure new graphics are in the works. KTLA has been on their current look since October 2008. Don't hold your breath for a new set. There has been whispers of KTLA possibly leaving Hollywood. If that happens, I'm sure a new set would happen then. I do agree, though, that the station is in need of new digs. They have been on the current set since 2009 which was just basically a fancy refresh of the previous set.

I'm not trying to assume their priorities, but if Trib isn't pumping dough into a new set for their flagship, how can we expect a new set in LA, whose current digs still look okay and are a half decade newer?

I'm sure new graphics are in the works. KTLA has been on their current look since October 2008. Don't hold your breath for a new set. There has been whispers of KTLA possibly leaving Hollywood. If that happens, I'm sure a new set would happen then. I do agree, though, that the station is in need of new digs. They have been on the current set since 2009 which was just basically a fancy refresh of the previous set.

If they do decide to leave Hollywood, where would they go? Would they leave because of aging facilitie(s) and or to cash in on the property the station sits on?

Don't believe those promo graphics will make it to the actual news program. The morning news promo graphics have always differed from the actual newscast. I do agree that they look clean and nice.

They debuted their new set and graphics in October 2009. They did tweak the graphics in either 2010 or 2011 and have been using that since. Change for the sake of change is not always good. I think their current set is still versatile and on-air graphics are still on-par with other stations.KTLA is #2 in the mornings after KABC/GMA and is very competitive at 10p.m. They simply do not need to revamp their look as they have seen steady viewship gains. 5 years is not a lot of time for a major revamp. Maybe in a few more.

• 10 months later...

Chris Burrous just announced on his Facebook live stream, that KTLA will be moving studios in the coming months. They will be moving next door to the now former Arsenio Hall studio. New graphics package as well.

It makes me wondering when is KFOR here in Oklahoma (which is also owned by Tribune) is going to get a new set? Can they get a new set in their existing building or are they going have to build a new facility to get a new set?

Tribune stations move at a glacial pace when it comes to getting new sets... Remember how long WPIX took to do a badly-needed overhaul, and WGN (their flagship!) has a rapidly deteriorating set that's over 10 years old, with no remodel in sight.

Tribune stations move at a glacial pace when it comes to getting new sets... Remember how long WPIX took to do a badly-needed overhaul, and WGN (their flagship!) has a rapidly deteriorating set that's over 10 years old, with no remodel in sight.

Not necessarily the case. It's up to each station to make that decision and ultimately ask corporate to approve it. KTLA has had 2 new sets in the span of 10 years. I don't know what WGN's circumstances are, but I doubt it's about money.

I should also add that there was a period (2008-2011ish) when one of Tribune's news executives was looking at going with virtual sets. That experiment never really got off the ground. However, Tribune was a mess up until a year or so ago due to the mis-management and the bankruptcy they went through. It didn't help out having different people trying to make decisions on how to fix the company, all with different visions of how to do it.

They've basically other than a few changes to the duratrons, weather center and shortening to simply "NewsChannel 4" have used the same set that was originally a working newsroom/set combo since shortly after they became KFOR and that was back in the early 90s. KFOR should've gotten a new set long time ago IMO

So now the countdown to a new KTLA set begins. It looks like they won't be on a temporary set since they are changing buildings completely. The Arsenio Hall studio was pretty big so I will be interested to see how they make use of the space. Maybe Ginger will be in the studio the entire time instead of being in the studio the first hour and the traffic center the other five. KTLAs news programs have been on stage 7/8 for years so I'm sure it will be a huge change for them. It has also always been quirky of KTLA that their studio, newsroom and offices are in different buildings across the campus. Most stations are usually in one building with many different floors.

The Arsenio Hall studio was located on stage 6, which is connected to their newsroom building. I've heard they are planning to demolish the old stage 7/8, but who knows at this point. Stage 6 looks to be really big, unless they divide it up into 2 sections. Wonder what they will do with all of the extra space. Here's some stats for stage 6. http://sgsandsbs.com/assets/stages/pdf/SBS_Stage6.pdf

I'm thinking they will move there at the end of the year, begining of the new year because that's when the constructon will finish for the new parking structure. It's already a mess with parking and getting around as is, so making construction of a new set during this doesn't sound too wise.

• 3 weeks later...
Maybe Ginger will be in the studio the entire time instead of being in the studio the first hour and the traffic center the other five.

It's don't think Ginger will be in the studio after they get the new studio because she also does traffic for KIIS-FM simultaneously. That's why sometimes you'll notice she has headphones and a microphone on her desk.

• 1 month later...
It makes me wondering when is KFOR here in Oklahoma (which is also owned by Tribune) is going to get a new set? Can they get a new set in their existing building or are they going have to build a new facility to get a new set?

KFOR could use a MAJOR overhaul... Their graphics are down right pitiful... Using fonts from the 90s doesn't fly today...

KTLA is on their regular set. It was announced a couple months ago by Weekend morning anchor Chris Burrous that the news will be taking over the old Arsenio Hall studio which is next to their current studio. No definitive time period was set but speculation is that it would be around the new year. Since they're moving to a new studio, they can use their existing set until ready to use the new one.

They have already started to tear up and gut the Restrooms and other rooms in their current building, probably they will tear down their current studio building completely once they are settled into their new set.

Archived