★ ★ ELECTION 2014 ★ ★

24994J

I have to say, I am VERY impressed by ABC's coverage tonight. Very professional with George anchoring. I love Diane, but her 2012 performance was not nearly as good as George is doing right now. Dan Harris also doing a very good job tonight.

Yes...but, I'm thinking he MIGHT be back uptown during tonight's coverage, based on this tweet... https://twitter.com/jonkarl/status/529401509080211456/photo/1

Meanwhile, here's the GMA studio setup...

B1ojD-bCUAMxgt1.jpg

That was from yesterday and that piece aired on WNT yesterday. David will be at Election HQ all night.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All of a sudden Katie Couric, credited in her Yahoo role, made it into the main open of ABC's 10/9pm hour. I know the network maintains a union with the web property, but I was sure that Couric's personal bridge with ABC News had been burned.

All of a sudden Katie Couric, credited in her Yahoo role, made it into the main open of ABC's 10/9pm hour. I know the network maintains a union with the web property, but I was sure that Couric's personal bridge with ABC News had been burned.

I have not seen either Katie or Diane all night which is odd. Separately, I enjoyed the ABC Open tonight.

I'm not surprised about Diane. I don't know her role, but I didn't think she'd be playing a constant role throughout the night. As for Katie, I'm surprised anyone would let her on TV again.

On a personal note, CBS has the best graphics of the Big 3, for sure. ABC's are horribly dated (some elements from '08), and NBC, while new, are so dark and [dammit, I can't think of the word]. On the other hand, ABC has the best set. The bright and colorful vibe reminds me of the election sets of old, with creative lighting replacing the streamers and bunting. I like the mods made to the 'Nightly' set, but it's all too dark for me, like the graphics. On the flip side, the CBS morning set is too light, though they I like the move away from the newsroom set.

At the end of ABC News' coverage, ABC aired a promo on George. It was similar to how David has commercials just about him. It was a very good commercial. I think with George and David, ABC has a huge chance to sky rocket in not only substance but ratings across the entire network.

This Week and WNT just got new graphics and music so I doubt either will change anytime soon. And while the music isn't the same theme throughout all of ABC News, I think the current themes work well together.

In terms of election 2016, I do expect new graphics and maybe even music because it is a presidential election and they usually go all out.

This Week's graphics are from last year. WNT's, on the other hand, are over 2 years old, so they COULD theoretically be changed soon. Sawyer's 2009 graphics lasted about 2 years and 9 months, and that's been the longest-serving package on the flagship in the 18 years that extensive graphics have been used, with most looks being retired every 1.5/2 years.

Charlie Rose round table segment was taped earlier in the day and had live cut into Bloomberg Politics coverage at 11PM with John Heilmann and Mark Halperin. The two were talking extremely fast after they welcomed PBS viewers around the country at about 11:01PM. I am assuming that they were speed talking so they could fit everything into a five minute segment. They then rolled the funding credits at 11:06 and the show started officially at 11:08pm.

This goes to show the close relationship that Charlie Rose and Bloomberg TV has. I read an article about the show where it was stated that Bloomberg provides the studio, office space and the production equipment free of charge. This deal was arranged by Michael Bloomberg in 1994 said they had a studio they weren't using when WNET the shows producer was cash strapped and offered this deal to him. The only cost the show pays is out of pocket expenses which the article described as postage and bookkeeping. The article stated that in 2008 it only cost $3.5 million to produce and most of it was salaries and little travel. This level of expenditure is apparently unheard of in today's world for a daily show. The deal he struck Michael Bloomberg continues to this day and now the show gets some revenue from Bloomberg rebroadcasting.

http://archive.fortune.com/2009/09/25/magazines/fortune/charlie_rose.fortune/index.htm?section=money_latest

Archived