★ ★ ELECTION 2014 ★ ★

24994J

It's midterm election season, and stations and networks nationwide are sprucing up their graphics, hanging the red, white and blue bunting, calling in the experts, and prepping to be on the air until the cock crows. I'm leading the thread off with the election night plans of one of the big three networks, but don't hesitate to include any notable locals points.

But, of course, since this is an election thread, let's avoid talking politics policy, right? :D

Announced today, ABC News will be running live coverage online from 7PM to 2AM ET, with hourly on-air updates and two hourlong special reports at 10PM ET and PT. Chief anchor George Stephanopoulos will be sole anchor, but will be joined by David Muir, Diane Sawyer (lock up the liquor cabinet (I kid, of course)), Martha Raddatz, Dan Harris, and a cast of thousands.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/abc-news-unveils-plans-for-election-coverage_b242632

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Should be a very interesting night. Personally, I'll be watching CBS quite often, with the occasional switchover to NBC (not their so-called cable "news" partner).

That being said, one network I'll be watching with very close interest will be Al Jazeera America. This will be AJAM's first midterm election, and I'm looking forward to seeing how their presentation and anchors play out the channel's coverage in two weeks. They've already started airing mini-specials, called "Midterms", that premiered October 19.

From scheduling it looks like NBC will be live from 10-11pm eastern which hopefully like in years past can be carried live on the west coast during prime access. Then NBC News will go back live for the stations in the pacific time from 10-11pm. I'd expect they will have a four minute cutaway similar to the Today show and the last election season broadcast with breaks at 10:26-10:30 and 10:56-11:00p,

I believe there will be national and local updates through out The Voice.

I'm just getting sick of these campaign ads. I already know who I'm going to vote for so these ads do little to change my mind. The stations make big bucks off them but still. Just can't wait until Election Day is over...

YES!!!!!

I'm just getting sick of these campaign ads. I already know who I'm going to vote for so these ads do little to change my mind. The stations make big bucks off them but still. Just can't wait until Election Day is over...

Maybe you'll kick the TV habit?

Maybe you'll kick the TV habit?

lol, uh too hard, they're unavoidable, I just ignore them... :) Fortunately for me I don't watch much TV to begin with but when I do, I just mute the commercials. Between the political ads and the poorly produced local commercials for auto dealers and injury attorneys, I don't really care.

The commercials don't bother me as much as the calls. I'm actually keeping a tally of who I get calls from, and it will have some (only some) bearing on who will get my vote. More calls, the more you piss me off.

Seems fair enough.

CBS is taking a page out of ABC's old book and will have co-anchors tackle election night coverage. Scott Pelley and Norah O'Donnell will co-anchor the Tiffany Network's hourly evening updates beginning at 7ET, and the one-hour special at 10ET. All this will be streamed online, but most of their up to the minute breaks will be projected on Twitter @CBSPolitics.

http://www.mediabistro.com/tvnewser/cbs-news-releases-election-coverage-plan_b243268

I may have heard this here, but I read someone saying that local news shouldn't be on the national scale. So true, just leave it to the cable news stations to discuss the midterms. Do we really need to blow out primetime to do this type of coverage?

I do understand local affiliates breaking in to provide updates on local races but you're trying to nationalize something that's primarily local...

I may have heard this here, but I read someone saying that local news shouldn't be on the national scale. So true, just leave it to the cable news stations to discuss the midterms. Do we really need to blow out primetime to do this type of coverage?

I do understand local affiliates breaking in to provide updates on local races but you're trying to nationalize something that's primarily local...

I disagree because these local elections will determine if one political party will take both houses or if we will continue to have a deadlocked congress. History has shown that a presidents second term mid term elections will usually end up one party taking both houses.

Also from what I have heard via some people on Twitter NBC will be offering a 7PM ET show to their affiliates. I'm not sure if the 7PM ET will be a minute long update or a continuation of Nightly News. They will also have sporadic updates throughout prime time culminating in a 10PM ET broadcast that will be available live to the pacific stations.

I disagree because these local elections will determine if one political party will take both houses or if we will continue to have a deadlocked congress. History has shown that a presidents second term mid term elections will usually end up one party taking both houses.

Also from what I have heard via some people on Twitter NBC will be offering a 7PM ET show to their affiliates. I'm not sure if the 7PM ET will be a minute long update or a continuation of Nightly News. They will also have sporadic updates throughout prime time culminating in a 10PM ET broadcast that will be available live to the pacific stations.

Agree. Plus the U.S. House and Senate election affect all of us since they draft and make our laws. It's not like their knocking out the entire primetime lineup.

MSNBC according to my guide will start coverage at 6PM and end at 5AM. Advertisements have shown that Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews will host the show and will be accompanied by Steve Kornacki (who has taken over Chuck Todd's position of analyzing number on the computer), Chuck Todd, Jose Diaz-Balart, Chris hayes, Andrea Mitchell, Al Sharpton, Kasie Hunt, Tamron Hall covering exit polls. Most likely after 1 AM when Rachel and Chris are gone other talent comes on and is usually billed as MSNBC After Dark

At 10PM two hosts of the program The Cycle, Ari Melber and Krystal Ball, will host a digital decision 2014 coverage using correspondents on the ground.

Here's a some pictures of the set:

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/529458063426985984

https://twitter.com/rkolsen/status/529487313592938496

(You may need to refresh to see the pictures).

MSNBC according to my guide will start coverage at 6PM and end at 5AM. Advertisements have shown that Rachel Maddow and Chris Matthews will host the show and will be accompanied by Steve Kornacki (who has taken over Chuck Todd's position of analyzing number on the computer), Chuck Todd, Jose Diaz-Balart, Chris hayes, Andrea Mitchell, Al Sharpton, Kasie Hunt, Tamron Hall covering exit polls. Most likely after 1 AM when Rachel and Chris are gone other talent comes on and is usually billed as MSNBC After Dark

At 10PM two hosts of the program The Cycle, Ari Melber and Krystal Ball, will host a digital decision 2014 coverage using correspondents on the ground.

:rofl!: :rofl!:

No wonder MSNBC is a joke...

It's a great promo! ABC will be using the GMA Studios for WNT and Election Night Coverage tonight.

However, I'm under the impression that Muir will be back the the WNT studio, based on a tweet earlier in the day of him in front of the new-ish monitor wall. The GMA studio does look great, though, with the desk lit in patriotic colors. One more reminder of how awesomely versatile the set is.

Over at CBS, I must admit they they should have taken the opportunity to darken the set. Otherwise, the morning studio looks good.

I haven't had NBC on enough to make any observations, but they've replaced the "[large peacock]" bug with the "[small peacock] NBC NEWS" horizontal wordmark, something that will likely carry over to tonight.

However, I'm under the impression that Muir will be back the the WNT studio, based on a tweet earlier in the day of him in front of the new-ish monitor wall. The GMA studio does look great, though, with the desk lit in patriotic colors. One more reminder of how awesomely versatile the set is.

Over at CBS, I must admit they they should have taken the opportunity to darken the set. Otherwise, the morning studio looks good.

I haven't had NBC on enough to make any observations, but they've replaced the "[large peacock]" bug with the "[small peacock] NBC NEWS" horizontal wordmark, something that will likely carry over to tonight.

David is anchoring WNT at GMA Studios tonight.

So, ABC's 7-hour stream started on-time, and will be mostly anchored by Stephanopoulos, but will feature Dan Harris anchoring the lull periods from a redecorated Social Square set. Harris will essentially be around to give George a chance to breathe, and fill the void before and after George goes live for the TOTH updates.

I'll upload the beginning of their coverage in a little bit.

Archived