Ferguson, MO Coverage

ChiCubsFan

Here in NY, ABC, NBC, and CBS (on WLNY) and PIX11 broke in and carried the verdict. WABC is carrying the president's speech locally, as ABC chose not to do a special report. I have to say the best job goes to PIX11 who has in depth coverage and a split screen of the LIVE situation in Ferguson right now with Jay Dow there.

Here in NY, ABC, NBC, and CBS (on WLNY) and PIX11 broke in and carried the verdict. WABC is carrying the president's speech locally, as ABC chose not to do a special report. I have to say the best job goes to PIX11 who has in depth coverage and a split screen of the LIVE situation in Ferguson right now with Jay Dow there.

LOL, just realized that this thread is for Chicago. Sorry!

Fox 32 is owning WGN right now. I am surprised WGN didn't send a reporter down there. Hats off to Fox 32's Craig Wall. He took a brick to the arm (off camera), but has been able stay focus and report live about what's happening.

Fox 32 is owning WGN right now. I am surprised WGN didn't send a reporter down there.

They did send someone. Tom Negovan is down there. Goudie's also there for 7, and I'd guess somebody like a Phil Rogers would be there for WMAQ.

Really, though, this should be in the General thread.

They did send someone. Tom Negovan is down there. Goudie's also there for 7, and I'd guess somebody like a Phil Rogers would be there for WMAQ.

My mistake. I was turning back and forth between the two stations and didn't see him. I commend Fox 32 on what they are doing however. We tend to beat them up a lot, so it's worth noting when they step up to the plate.

Yeah, it seems to me like there's still a lot of tech problems and lame screw-ups that plague their broadcast on a regular basis, but they're doing what they can. And kudos to both 9 and 32 for continuing beyond 10 o'clock, to fill the void of the big-3 stations' absence. Though, credit is due to the 3 networks for tape-delaying everything to prevent everyone from bitching to them on social media.

Yeah, it seems to me like there's still a lot of tech problems and lame screw-ups that plague their broadcast on a regular basis, but they're doing what they can. And kudos to both 9 and 32 for continuing beyond 10 o'clock, to fill the void of the big-3 stations' absence. Though, credit is due to the 3 networks for tape-delaying everything to prevent everyone from bitching to them on social media.

Sorry, but I can't give credit to the Big 3. I'm sure viewers would like to see coverage of what's going on both here and there. I guess if there was violence here in Chicago, they wouldn't hesitate to break in with live coverage.

Sorry, but I can't give credit to the Big 3. I'm sure viewers would like to see coverage of what's going on both here and there. I guess if there was violence here in Chicago, they wouldn't hesitate to break in with live coverage.

Personally, I don't care to see the coverage. I know what's going on, but I have no desire to watch the pathetic display by both sides in the area, when the greater tragedy of this has been lost (the loss of young Mr. Brown, no matter who took his life). However, if I do want to check things out, I, like everyone else, knows where to find coverage. Whether or not tonight's network programming is yours or my cup of tea, the locals are obligated to carry it, and when extended live programming is involved, it is a complicated thing to deal with. In this situation, nothing unexpected happened on the scene (in Ferguson or Chicago (which has been largely peaceful)) that warranted continuing coverage by every station, and it was nothing that couldn't have waited til 10:10 versus 10 sharp.

Pretty sure the big 3 are delayed almost 30 minutes or so.

CBS had the most interruption during the evening, so they're the last on the air, tonight. ABC 7 only had the announcement that lasted like 12-13 minutes, and NBC 5 only carried Obama's remarks and a short recap of the proceedings. CBS carried both.

Personally, I don't care to see the coverage. I know what's going on, but I have no desire to watch the pathetic display by both sides in the area, when the greater tragedy of this has been lost (the loss of young Mr. Brown, no matter who took his life). However, if I do want to check things out, I, like everyone else, knows where to find coverage. Whether or not tonight's network programming is yours or my cup of tea, the locals are obligated to carry it, and when extended live programming is involved, it is a complicated thing to deal with. In this situation, nothing unexpected happened on the scene (in Ferguson or Chicago (which has been largely peaceful)) that warranted continuing coverage by every station, and it was nothing that couldn't have waited til 10:10 versus 10 sharp.

It's a judgment call stations have to make when covering things of this nature. You don't want to make matters worse, but at the same time, you have to coverage it (to some degree). Yes, you can get coverage everywhere, but if you have a reporter there live, he or she can offer a different perspective than a live shot from a helicopter. Safety is also an issue too (WGN's Tom Negovan is in St. Louis not Ferguson). It's a difficult balancing act.

I shit you not, CBS2 has already left coverage for their stupid consumer investigative piece after like 15 minutes. ABC 7, WGN and NBC 5 are still rolling.

I don't think that was uncommon in other markets either to leave maybe even in the A block.

I know it's a Chicago thread but because I was stuck glued to 3 stations at once here in Detroit and didn't get to see any of the coverage, this is the best I got: 2 of the stations, DIV and XYZ here lasted 7 minutes on it coming in late at 11 and did a national PKG and then local reaction taking "following breaking news" images in and out of breaks the rest of the way. We had 150,000 without power and lots of fires and weather issues we had to fit in so that's probably why. It created a 14 minute A block. Here at DIV we also had a toy-test feature PKG that had to run come hell or high-water, it's an annual thing and was a hell of a lot more pleasant .

But given Chicago's relative proximity to Missouri it makes sense that they went longer covering it. Did ABC7 ever manage to move on to anything else though? Because you can overdo it... WJBK did nothing but Ferguson for maybe 65 out of 90 minutes they were on the air from 1005-1135 tonight and it got boring seeing the same couple burning cop cars over and over again while the reporter choked on smoke. It was overkill on a story that really means nothing directly to anybody here.

ABC 7 did do a few stories related discussion local leaders' reaction, not relating to the unrest. They also did full, unabbreviated weather and sports segments. I do think they briefly hit on a few other stories, but I don't recall.

ABC 7 did do a few stories related discussion local leaders' reaction, not relating to the unrest. They also did full, unabbreviated weather and sports segments. I do think they briefly hit on a few other stories, but I don't recall.

Gotcha so they basically went all out. At least with them we know it didn't get too repetitive.

I don't think that was uncommon in other markets either.

I know it's a Chicago thread but because I was stuck glued to 3 stations at once here in Detroit this is the best I got: 2 of the stations, DIV and XYZ here lasted 7 minutes on it coming in late at 11 and did a national PKG and then local reaction taking "following breaking news" images in and out of breaks the rest of the way. We had 150,000 without power and lots of fires and weather issues we had to fit in so that's probably why. But given Chicago's relative proximity to Missouri it makes sense that they went longer covering it. Did ABC7 ever manage to move on to anything else though? Because you can overdo it... WJBK did nothing but Ferguson for maybe 65 out of 90 minutes they were on the air from 1005-1135 tonight and it got boring seeing the same couple burning cop cars over and over again while the reporter choked on smoke. It was plain bad TV.

WLS did do both a weather and sports report. WFLD did nothing but Ferguson and given things kind of got out of hand while Craig was doing his live reports, I can understand their reasoning. I agree given our proximity to Missouri likely influenced everyone's decision to send a crew down there, they also tried to take a measured approach in their coverage.

Archived