NYC: Blizzard Juno

BehindNYNews

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, The Weather Channel isn't even willing to go live for coverage on the weekend (because they laid off almost all of their weekend staff and would have to call in their weekday staff to go live at this point), so I refuse to even acknowledge their stupid winter storm naming scheme. It's pathetic that they don't even care about the weather anymore, just Al Roker and Sam Champion on weekday mornings, and then all long-form programming on weekday evenings and almost the entire day on weekends (aside from a couple hours of morning live shows).

The Weather Channel - "Weather Doesn't Happen On Weekends™"

TWC's response: "well most people in those markets have smmaaaartphoneees, if they carrreee sooo mucch about Juno™, they the cann goo on to ourrrr digitttiaaal plattforms."

OTTH Juno is a registered trademark within NBCU, so the only NY station that can capitalize on this naming madness, it would be WNBC and WNJU.

Hey, The Weather Channel isn't even willing to go live for coverage on the weekend (because they laid off almost all of their weekend staff and would have to call in their weekday staff to go live at this point), so I refuse to even acknowledge their stupid winter storm naming scheme. It's pathetic that they don't even care about the weather anymore, just Al Roker and Sam Champion on weekday mornings, and then all long-form programming on weekday evenings and almost the entire day on weekends (aside from a couple hours of morning live shows).

They're coming on from 7-11 PM ET tonight, but they should have been live all day. They should've called in the weekday staff; this is a huge event. I mean, this is why they exist.

They're coming on from 7-11 PM ET tonight, but they should have been live all day. They should've called in the weekday staff; this is a huge event. I mean, this is why they exist.

And this is why AccuWeather should have their own channel. Give TWC some competition so they have to cover it.

And this is why AccuWeather should have their own channel. Give TWC some competition so they have to cover it.

Agreed; I'd take Accuweather over TWC anyday.

But I'm certainly excited, but nervous, for what this blizzard brings. May we all stay safe!!

And...just putting this out there:

http://www.erh.noaa.gov/okx/stormtotalprecip.php

Yup...that's a heckuva lot of snow!!!

I live right on the border between the 6-12 inch range and 12-24 inch range- we are screwed. Yeah, I'm wondering if this will be bigger than the Blizzard of '96. I wasn't born until 98, but I've seen coverage on YT, and it was huge.

Nice article! A "must read" here, but most importantly to the nitwits in Atlanta (which probably has nicer wx) which shouldn't give them an excuse to bring in the A crew.

TWC's response: "well most people in those markets have smmaaaartphoneees, if they carrreee sooo mucch about Juno™, they the cann goo on to ourrrr digitttiaaal plattforms."

OTTH Juno is a registered trademark within NBCU, so the only NY station that can capitalize on this naming madness, it would be WNBC and WNJU.

Lol, WGN-TV Chicago (not NBC) anchor Bob Jordan just reported that the *National Weather Service* is calling the blizzard "Winter Storm Juno." Um, no.

Lol, WGN-TV Chicago (not NBC) anchor Bob Jordan just reported that the *National Weather Service* is calling the blizzard "Winter Storm Juno." Um, no.

Ugh, where the heck are they getting this information. Time for NWS to put out another reminder to the press that they do not endorse those names.

I'd like to see what NWS weather forecast office (judging by the station, it's probably NWS Romeoville) is using this term, and if so, what the name is of the nitwit who authorized such an action. Didn't the NWS just put out a news release a year back saying that they wouldn't take part in TWC's stupid winter storm name scheme?

As for the actual storm, stay safe NYers! Down here, this winter feels a lot like 2013; cold, damp, and snowless. :(

Archived