The Sinclair-ization thread

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The way these relaunches have gone down are an absolute mess. A logo here, a music change there, all out of sync with each other.

Switching things out like Sinclair makes me wonder where the problem lies....is the company too overwhelmed or are the stations being thrown changes faster than they can deal with them?

...given the company's rapid expansion, if there's been a lot of turnover, the replacements could have no clue on how to properly relaunch the product, or they're being mismanaged from above based on marching orders?

:bang: :bang: :bang:

The way these relaunches have gone down are an absolute mess. A logo here, a music change there, all out of sync with each other.

Switching things out like Sinclair makes me wonder where the problem lies....is the company too overwhelmed or are the stations being thrown changes faster than they can deal with them?

...given the company's rapid expansion, if there's been a lot of turnover, the replacements could have no clue on how to properly relaunch the product, or they're being mismanaged from above based on marching orders?

It was absolutely miserable. Half of our motion graphics we use on air are interlaced and look terrible on-air. That's because SBG guessed our video format and sent us a bunch of graphics in the wrong format and basically refused to re-render them for us. So all of our promo elements and stingers have beautiful scanlines running through them.

Could it be all of the above, because I really do think it is all of the above.

This happens anytime a company grows at a rapid pace like Sinclair has been.

It was absolutely miserable. Half of our motion graphics we use on air are interlaced and look terrible on-air. That's because SBG guessed our video format and sent us a bunch of graphics in the wrong format and basically refused to re-render them for us. So all of our promo elements and stingers have beautiful scanlines running through them.

That's bad. So, I'm guessing Sinclair's approach to things on the graphics end is "take what we give you, even if comes out looking like a piece of crap, and then duck off".

That's bad. So, I'm guessing Sinclair's approach to things on the graphics end is "take what we give you, even if comes out looking like a piece of crap, and then duck off".

Pretty much. They look the sloppy approach to standardizing graphics. They got their web development team together and are putting out great station websites, so my hopes are up that they'll actually do a better job the next go-around on graphics.

• 2 weeks later...

WTAT is like a cruel science experiment. All of the other old Sinclair stuff remains (with Daily News) with these hybrid supers and even the "LIVE" bug from Raycom's older package!

Meanwhile over on "WCIV", they're rocking the latest and greatest Sinclair has to offer.

Once Raycom swaps out WCSC's package, then it may be finally put out of its misery. Heck, maybe they'll pull the SSA card and relieve Cunningham the duties of running WTAT!

I just watched WKRC and noticed that the maps on their weather package are using the Sinclair font. I guess that means that WKRC will get the package soon.

Sounds like the weather computer got the upgrade. Give it another year for the rest of the graphics to be upgraded in similar fashion.

I'm betting WPMI will be upgraded after their chief meteorologist leaves next month....and WEAR will STILL be status quo ;)

The ticker isn't the only jumbled mess. They can't even seem to stick to a unified branding at the moment...one place they're Channel 3 News, the next News 3, and now their social media pages proudly refer to them as ABC 3 News.

Let's hope WPMI goes a little bit smoother than this.

The ticker isn't the only jumbled mess. They can't even seem to stick to a unified branding at the moment...one place they're Channel 3 News, the next News 3, and now their social media pages proudly refer to them as ABC 3 News.

Let's hope WPMI goes a little bit smoother than this.

This disconnect is between the station, it's web staff (separate) and corporate. There's little coordination other than the marching orders handed down from the top.

All and all, it's one of the smoother re-launches I've seen. According to WEAR's facebook page, they launched today for their 11am newscast. Soon after, the facebook page got the new logo.

Set-wise, the only physical change was with the duratranses since all of the other logos are monitor based.

And unlike other launches, the weather graphics launched WITH the news graphics AND with the correct fonts! There were a couple straggler pieces of the old look, the only problem is with the ticker.

The ticker is plain overkill. It has time and temp, the logo, a rotating sponsor BELOW the logo, TWO LINES of text below the super (line 1 is scroling cateories of news, stocks, etc and line 2 is sports scores) AND a 3 day forecast, AND more stuff to the right of the 3 day forecast.

Are the other stations this overkill with the ticker?

This now leaves WLOS as the sole legacy Sinclair station with the old look and Daily News....

Archived