The Sinclair-ization thread

tyrannical bastard

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well there goes the Fisher cluster.....some of the best looking packages about to give way to the Sinclair look.

If I had to bet when ALL of the stations swich over, I'd say the last ones would get switched over in late 2016.

At that rate, there will be a new set of graphics for Sinclair.

Looks like KOMO might be next on the list of Sinclair stations to get the new graphics. Fortunately, it doesn't look like they're going to make any changes to the logo.

CEbHhsOWgAAlihN.jpg

https://twitter.com/grlopez4/status/596383500158140416

Such a shame. KOMO's current graphics actually look good compared to the generic watered-down stuff they're about to get from Sinclair.

KOMO is going to look incredibly cheap with these.

At that rate, there will be a new set of graphics for Sinclair.

Not likely.

The last graphics package they had lasted upwards of 8 years with some modifications done for HD along the way. I think the current Glass / Curves look may last just as long.

This go-around, Sinclair has to deal with all of the different systems in place from prior owners, and in some cases, a sea change from how things had been done in the past (going from in-house to hubbed graphics). By the time everything is set in place and unified, future changes will be faster and won't have the variables like they do now.

Not exactly. Sinclair hasn't been shelling out money to upgrade stations' graphics systems so that future changes will be easier. SBG Central Graphics basically just sends out pre-rendered files to all of the stations that aren't on Chyron systems and has the station basically implement it themselves. That's why some stations have different tickers, lower thirds, etc. The only things that really stay the same are background loops and open animations.

It also explains why some stations have a sloppier implementation of the new SBG graphics vs other stations. When it comes down to it, SBG is just being cheap (riveting, I know) by not providing all of their stations with one unified graphics system. Some stations use Deko/Thunder, some use Chyron, some use VizRT. It's a mess.

Interesting that they didn't get Glass or Curves for graphics. Are those packages to, dare I say, complex for WSMH's system?

WSMH switched newscast providers to WEYI on April 27 and it's likely that WEYI needs the upgrades or the appearance of being separate.

WSMH switched newscast providers to WEYI on April 27 and it's likely that WEYI needs the upgrades or the appearance of being separate.

More than likely, it's likely that Flint/Saginaw (and their other Michigan stations for that matter) are low on Sinclair's list to receive upgrades. Unlike Myrtle Beach, WSMH is the Sinclair station and HSH "owns" the news-providing station.

It wouldn't surprise me to see the smaller remaining stations getting "hand-me-downs" from other stations that upgraded to HD prior to being purchased by Sinclair, it it's more cost effective than upgrading with new equipment.

• 2 weeks later...

Sweeping changes are coming to WJAR...

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/1019-sinclair-set-to-make-mark-on-wjar.html

With all of the capital expense that's about to go down, Media General saw the writing on the wall and opted to hang on to WPRI/WNAC and the former LIN HQ...

Interesting to see they've opted to slide their digital channel from 51 to 50. Is this just a move to clear up spectrum?

Sweeping changes are coming to WJAR...

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/1019-sinclair-set-to-make-mark-on-wjar.html

With all of the capital expense that's about to go down, Media General saw the writing on the wall and opted to hang on to WPRI/WNAC and the former LIN HQ...

I find this hard to believe. Sinclair is not known for making that great of a capital investment into their stations. Not sure how reliable that site is but if it's true that's great news. Maybe their "dastardly computer problems" will finally end. After all, Sinclair standardizes on Ross automation which seems to be more reliable than Ignite.

Interesting to see they've opted to slide their digital channel from 51 to 50. Is this just a move to clear up spectrum?

This article provides more insight:

http://www.newenglandone.com/news/local-news/item/1052-fcc-approves-wjar-s-move-to-channel-50.html

I don't mind the current WJAR/MG graphics.

Guess they are planning ahead for the future by moving to the channel.

So I could thank Sinclair for getting WDKY off digital channel 4 (in a UHF only analog market) a few years ago.

I figured the WNCN package was a goner when Sinclair announced the purchase of WJAR. Especially since WSPA and WSLS now use it as well.

Some of the moves are necessities, including de-hubbing the station from MG's hub in Columbus, and the need to build a master control since NBC hubbed the station in the early 2000s.

But now we know that "Curves" and most likely a Devlin set are on their way to Cranston. And hopefully some re-staffing to undo the bloodletting WJAR and other MG stations went through in 2008 and 09.

KATV's interpretation of the Sinclair look (warning: recorded with Free Bandicam)

[yt]ss-ep-4-3dI[/yt]

Their other opens are similar but use different music cuts.

Looks like they didn't quite want to let go of the old VDO look. Elements from it survive in the open...

KATV's interpretation of the Sinclair look (warning: recorded with Free Bandicam)

[yt]ss-ep-4-3dI[/yt]

Their other opens are similar but use different music cuts.

Looks like they didn't quite want to let go of the old VDO look. Elements from it survive in the open...

Is it me or does it seem like the graphics look more animated than they do at other Sinclair stations. It actually doesn't look like a bad adaptation of it.

Is it me or does it seem like the graphics look more animated than they do at other Sinclair stations. It actually doesn't look like a bad adaptation of it.

Some stations get the project files and others just get .MOV files. Many of the former Albritton stations got the project files, while stations like KEYE asked for them and didn't receive them.

Sinclair is weird.

Some stations get the project files and others just get .MOV files. Many of the former Albritton stations got the project files, while stations like KEYE asked for them and didn't receive them.

Sinclair is weird.

I agree. The graphics don't look as cheap with the project files. I can't imagine it would cost that much extra to distribute those project files to the entire group.

Sinclair is weird.

I agree. The graphics don't look as cheap with the project files. I can't imagine it would cost that much extra to distribute those project files to the entire group.

It probably has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with what equipment the stations are using. I don't know what KEYE uses but Sinclair's legacy stations (like KABB) are standardized on Chyron CGs so that's likely what these are designed for. I guess somewhere along the way Sinclair decided they didn't want to design versions of the package compatible with VizRT or other CGs. So that's probably why they got .MOV files instead. My guess would be the Allbritton stations already had Chyron systems installed thus making the transition easier for them.

From what I've seen and heard Sinclair is taking the cheap way out and not upgrading any production equipment at their new acqusitions to be on par with their legacy standard...

It probably has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with what equipment the stations are using. I don't know what KEYE uses but Sinclair's legacy stations (like KABB) are standardized on Chyron CGs so that's likely what these are designed for. I guess somewhere along the way Sinclair decided they didn't want to design versions of the package compatible with VizRT or other CGs. So that's probably why they got .MOV files instead. My guess would be the Allbritton stations already had Chyron systems installed thus making the transition easier for them.

From what I've seen and heard Sinclair is taking the cheap way out and not upgrading any production equipment at their new acqusitions to be on par with their legacy standard...

If that's the case, then the remaining Barrington upgrades are going to be done on the cheap and easy, since they were long overdue for a change going back to their prior ownership under Barrington. It makes me wonder if their 16x9 stations still in SD are going to simply call it a day and wait until the last possible second to upgrade when their aging equipment starts failing and the parts don't exist anymore to fix it.

Archived