KNBC Doubles up in the sky

SFTV

I guess it's a normal thing now. KCBS/KCAL have both as well as KTTV.

But both stations eventually stopped using two. So that begs a question from me, which is, is there really that much happening in the LA region that warrants a local station having two news helicopters?

Guest Former Member 207

But both stations eventually stopped using two. So that begs a question from me, which is, is there really that much happening in the LA region that warrants a local station having two news helicopters?

Given the the vast size of the L.A. market (and I'm talking geographically), plus a duopoly partner in Telemundo's KVEA, it could be understandable on why KNBC has two choppers. Plus also, KNSD could always borrow a chopper from KNBC if needed.

Having two choppers in LA is not as outrageous as one might think. Yes, there's always news (and lots of it) to cover in LA. it's not only the amount of news they cover but the distance as well. You have to keep in mind that the LA stations have to cover LA County, Riverside County, Ventura county, San Bernardino County, and Orange County as well. That doesn't take into account the fact that they will on occasion come into San Diego County to cover news. It's a lot of square miles to cover. Plus they don't always have a reporter/photog/live truck available to be at the scene of a major story right away. Also, considering that KNSD does not have its own chopper, then KNBC will send its own to San Diego when they are covering chases that cross county lines. Not that KNBC relies heavily on KNSD (when warranted), because they don't. So they do their own thing.

Will they be flying both at the same time or day parted and dispatched simultaneously as needed?

On the bright side it gives Telemundo access to dispatch their own bird where needed. I wonder if NBC will continue spreading the helicopter love to the rest of their markets. The only market I think a sharing agreement works is in DC given the airspace restrictions.

Correct me if I'm wrong I read somewhere that LA is the only market where news helicopters are in the air for most of the day as opposed to being dispatched when needed or during newscasts. I can't imagine how much this will cost them. I think a figure that was thrown around when the local news service started stated that it costs about $1million a year for about 100 hours of flight time a month.

When did KCBS/KCAL get rid of their second helicopters?

According to commenters on TVSpy it appears the two former KTTV helicopters are used in shifts through the local news service with KCBS/KCAL. A commenter also mentioned that KABC have used two on occasion but it appears one of them is used during sweeps and as needed.

I'm seein' double, all right.

opizzmQ.png

The same helicopter (N358TV) is used in every single shot. I wonder if the second one is even painted.

And before anyone says anything, the 3D models at the end use N-numbers that belong to WFAA (who actually outright owns their own helicopter) and an airplane.

The same helicopter (N358TV) is used in every single shot. I wonder if the second one is even painted.

And before anyone says anything, the 3D models at the end use N-numbers that belong to WFAA (who actually outright owns their own helicopter) and an airplane.

I noticed that as well. It sounds like they wanted to get it in the air and promote it ASAP. I guess they figured since they are identical they could get away with it. I hope they one day make a promo with both helicopters together. Maybe they could do something similar to the following Telemundo 52 promo.

[yt]vDUXhd4J9BE[/yt]

Is there any possibility of NBCU using one of these helicopters as needed for movie filming? Welk Aviation (the company that merged with Angel City Air) also provides helicopters for movie productions where it appears they use the same type of helicopter (AS350) but just swap out the Cineflex gimbal.

Could it be that KNBC is promoting 2 helicopters and that the second helicopter is the Telemundo 52 helicopter? That would make sense why in the KNBC promo they are using the same helicopter shots. So in theory, KNBC really does have 2 helicopter: Newschopper 4 and Telemundo 52.

This is a vast improvement considering KNBC as recently as a few years ago had no dedicated chopper and was part of a news sharing resource with KCBS/KCAL/KTTV.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

I don't mean to bump an old thread but it appears the second NewsChopper 4 is also painted according to this Facebook post. The helicopter is based at Fullerton Airport in Fullerton Cith which is within Orange County.

I can't make out the call sign.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=710850965712924

There's a promo floating around somewhere of KABC touting 3 helicopters. I remember seeing it several months ago after KNBC debuted the double chopper promo. If I find, i'll post the link.

There's a promo floating around somewhere of KABC touting 3 helicopters. I remember seeing it several months ago after KNBC debuted the double chopper promo. If I find, i'll post the link.

1. Air 7

2.KTLA 's Chopper (share)

3.The Air 7 (spare)

My sweeps idea is the...

'The K*** Drone Force'

Send us your drone videos...best one wins a prize!

That would be an instant ratings hit, and drive the FAA bonkers for a few weeks.

My entry will be my drone that has a green laser on it.

This opinion is not the opinion of Scripps Broadcasting which is solely responsible for it's content.

Looks like they just have those magnetic ABC 7 logos on the other 2 helicopters. The grey helicopter is N67TV, KABC's former Air 7. It's now used in Helinet's fleet for movie filming. I don't know the tail number for the white helicopter off hand.

I didn't know KABC shared their feed with KTLA? Maybe they did that before KTLA parted ways with Helinet and went to Welk/ACA.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152756361717452

KTLA has been covering KABC during refueling in the past...that could have changed.

But my big concern is those magnetic stickers...

They must be super, super duper magnets if ya get my drift....

BTW...

Do you know how to spot the Tijuana PD helo???

It's the one with the dents in it.

Looks like they just have those magnetic ABC 7 logos on the other 2 helicopters. The grey helicopter is N67TV, KABC's former Air 7. It's now used in Helinet's fleet for movie filming. I don't know the tail number for the white helicopter off hand.

I didn't know KABC shared their feed with KTLA? Maybe they did that before KTLA parted ways with Helinet and went to Welk/ACA.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152756361717452

I guess KABC has one standard bird that's wrapped and the other two as needed.

I guess KABC has one standard bird that's wrapped and the other two as needed.

It's safe to say that they can have as many birds as the budget allows at any given time. There are plenty of spares and more than enough qualified pilots and camera operators to go around.

• 4 weeks later...

opizzmQ.png

They haven't got footage for the new helicopter and it makes sense to use the same Helicopter that already has footage of

KNSD uses KNBC as a backup but they do have a helicopter just its not licensed to them.

So then, KNSD has NO chopper of their own. I'm pretty sure that the NBC O&O's can tap into KNBC's chopper whenever the feed is available. That doesn't mean that "they have" a chopper.

They haven't got footage for the new helicopter and it makes sense to use the same Helicopter that already has footage of

The extra helicopter(s) that KNBC has look exactly the same. No need to spend money to shoot promos for a second chopper that is a carbon-copy of the first one.

Archived