KNBC Doubles up in the sky

SFTV

The extra helicopter(s) that KNBC has look exactly the same. No need to spend money to shoot promos for a second chopper that is a carbon-copy of the first one.

The only bonus to shooting a new promo is to feature them together over some scene doing some action shots.

The KNBC choppers are useless to KNSD due to the fact that the KNBC bird is barely compatible with the KNSD rx sites.

KNBC and others(LA) can only go as far south with a live picture for as long as they can hit Mt. Santiago in Orange county. The basic car chase from LA to Mexico gives the LA choppers fits.

If KNSD and KNBC really wanted to share the choppers they would.

KNSD gets Chopper 8

The KNBC choppers are useless to KNSD due to the fact that the KNBC bird is barely compatible with the KNSD rx sites.

KNBC and others(LA) can only go as far south with a live picture for as long as they can hit Mt. Santiago in Orange county. The basic car chase from LA to Mexico gives the LA choppers fits.

If KNSD and KNBC really wanted to share the choppers they would.

KNSD gets Chopper 8

Sounds like once KNSD ditched their own bird they have nixed or neglected the helicopter receive sites. In Washington DC despite all stations formerly having helicopters only WRC and WTTG are capable of receiving the pooled feed.

Maybe they didn't bother during the whole Nextel relocation.

KNSD and a few other stations also abandon the extensive 2-way radio systems they had. That will bite them in the ass during the next major earthquake when the cell system goes wonky.

Only KFMB maintains, and knows the true value of a working 2-way radio system.

KNSD and a few other stations also abandon the extensive 2-way radio systems they had. That will bite them in the ass during the next major earthquake when the cell system goes wonky.

Only KFMB maintains, and knows the true value of a working 2-way radio system.

So I assume the costs for KNSD to get their own chopper once again (aside from the chopper/operation) will be pretty high that it will probably never happen?

So I assume the costs for KNSD to get their own chopper once again (aside from the chopper/operation) will be pretty high that it will probably never happen?

Maybe they can afford a LEED certified "green chopper"...

The kind that runs on bio-desiel.

BTW XETV blew out Don Schaffer.

The plot thickens!!!

Maybe they can afford a LEED certified "green chopper"...

The kind that runs on bio-desiel.

BTW XETV blew out Don Schaffer.

The plot thickens!!!

I read about that. Wonder if it has anything to do with Heather Myers leaving...

• 3 months later...

Don't mean to bump a thread but thought this was worth an update. Well Aviation's Instagram posted a picture of KNBC's second bird and it is just painted blue and based out of Orange County.

[MEDIA=instagram]BDgeyN7xx2t[/MEDIA]

I wonder if that's a backup bird, since Welk posted this picture of a second KNBC chopper based in the OC.

IA]

I thought that was the existing bird based on the last four digits of the visible tail number 58TV. Their preexisting NewsChopper 4 was N358TV.

I guess KABC has one standard bird that's wrapped and the other two as needed.

The FAA does not allow wrapping of aircraft...just painting. They assume a piece of wrapping will get loose and enter the turbine causing a horrific crash.

That is my useless fact of the hour.

Wow...they DO now allow wraps. That is kinda scary still.

However.....

I stand corrected.

I regret the error and should have been more updated on that subject before posting. I try to maintain the highest accuracy and humor in all postings. I am launching a full investigation into this matter. I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I guess that is some very special stuff they use so that a piece does not break off into the turbines causing a horrific crash into ocean never to be found by searchers.................

Wow...they DO now allow wraps. That is kinda scary still.

However.....

I stand corrected.

I regret the error and should have been more updated on that subject before posting. I try to maintain the highest accuracy and humor in all postings. I am launching a full investigation into this matter. I thank you for bringing this to my attention.

I guess that is some very special stuff they use so that a piece does not break off into the turbines causing a horrific crash into ocean never to be found by searchers.................

Not good enough Eat. We want your GM to publicly apologize for your mistake and we want to know if you get suspended for reporting inaccurate information. :p

Not good enough Eat. We want your GM to publicly apologize for your mistake and we want to know if you get suspended for reporting inaccurate information. :p

And turn the HVAC system waaaaaay up.

And turn the HVAC system waaaaaay up.

• 3 months later...

For those wondering, went by the Fullerton Airport this morning on Amtrak, and spotted the KNBC "Orange County" Chopper sitting there. It was N1231A, in all black paint. No KNBC logos or anything on the sides. Seems like they change up the chopper there depending on needs and repairs. Short flight from FUL to WHP at least.

For those wondering, It was N1231A, in all black paint. No KNBC logos or anything on the sides.t.

That's one of those black helicopters that they talk about on those overnight AM talk shows.

Lucky you didn't post a pic...or they would have to......kill you.

• 3 weeks later...
For those wondering, went by the Fullerton Airport this morning on Amtrak, and spotted the KNBC "Orange County" Chopper sitting there. It was N1231A, in all black paint. No KNBC logos or anything on the sides. Seems like they change up the chopper there depending on needs and repairs. Short flight from FUL to WHP at least.

Apparently they are getting new wraps including KCBS/KCAL

• 4 months later...

Welk/ACA got a new bird from the East recently, N12YJ. Currently being used as KNBC's OC Chopper based at the Fullerton Airport. Saw it yesterday from the train. Most recently, it was used in Vegas for KTNV before their "fancy new" Chopper 13 Bell 206 arrived. Before that, it was WBBM's Chopper 2. Registration still shows it's owned by Helicopters Inc., so my only guess is that ACA/Welk must be leasing it from them? Welk has posted a photo of N12YJ at their Whiteman airport base, so it's definitely being flown by them now.

DSC_0011_Fotor5.thumb.jpg.91ebfbb0c9c797753399d20dcfbcec20.jpg

Welk/ACA got a new bird from the East recently, N12YJ. Currently being used as KNBC's OC Chopper based at the Fullerton Airport. Saw it yesterday from the train. Most recently, it was used in Vegas for KTNV before their "fancy new" Chopper 13 Bell 206 arrived. Before that, it was WBBM's Chopper 2. Registration still shows it's owned by Helicopters Inc., so my only guess is that ACA/Welk must be leasing it from them? Welk has posted a photo of N12YJ at their Whiteman airport base, so it's definitely being flown by them now.

[ATTACH=full]3526[/ATTACH]

Nice catch.

That paint job makes it look like an Enstrom Shark (no relation).

• 3 weeks later...
Registration still shows it's owned by Helicopters Inc., so my only guess is that ACA/Welk must be leasing it from them? Welk has posted a photo of N12YJ at their Whiteman airport base, so it's definitely being flown by them now.

Small update, Welk bought the chopper outright from Helicopters Inc. FAA registry has been updated a few days ago: http://registry.faa.gov/aircraftinquiry/NNum_Results.aspx?NNumbertxt=12YJ

Archived