Legendary CBS Newsman Bob Schieffer Announces Retirement

NYNewsCoverage

I put Dickerson second on my list and I'm STILL also surprised that it was him. Really thought it would be Norah O'Donnell, especially since she filled in last Sunday when they knew Schieffer was announcing his retirement on Wednesday. Guess I read into that too much.

Interestingly, Face The Nation deleted the initial tweet about the news. I think it's because it mentioned June 7th as Dickerson's first broadcast. They had not previously mentioned a date other than "sometime this summer," as far as I know. (June 7th is, of course, not officially summer anyway.) The replacement tweet does not mention a date.

Surprised by the announcement but not disappointed. In terms of name, ABC definitely has the biggest "star" of the Sunday morning broadcasts now. John isn't a very widely known news figure, I'll be interested to see if he can keep up Bob's numbers without Bob's star power. That's why I always figured Norah, not only because she fills in most times but because she at least has some name recognition.

I put Dickerson second on my list and I'm STILL also surprised that it was him. Really thought it would be Norah O'Donnell, especially since she filled in last Sunday when they knew Schieffer was announcing his retirement on Wednesday. Guess I read into that too much.

Interestingly, Face The Nation deleted the initial tweet about the news. I think it's because it mentioned June 7th as Dickerson's first broadcast. They had not previously mentioned a date other than "sometime this summer," as far as I know. (June 7th is, of course, not officially summer anyway.) The replacement tweet does not mention a date.

June 7th seems right because that would mean Bob signs off right after the end of May sweeps. But still not official.

Great news ........... for ABC and NBC. I fully expect This Week to move into first place permanently in the demo and overall. And same goes for Meet the Press and second place. I can see beginning the new television season with ABC 1st, NBC 2nd, and CBS 3rd (in demo and overall) on all three news programs: morning shows, evening news, and Sunday politics shows.

I can see why they didn't pick Norah. She's only been at CBS This Morning for a little over two years now. That show has a lot of momentum, and I could see why they wouldn't want to mess with that. Maybe if the timing of her move to CBS were different and if CBS's feelings toward Erica Hill were better, things would have turned out differently with Face the Nation.

• 3 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Great news ........... for ABC and NBC. I fully expect This Week to move into first place permanently in the demo and overall. And same goes for Meet the Press and second place. I can see beginning the new television season with ABC 1st, NBC 2nd, and CBS 3rd (in demo and overall) on all three news programs: morning shows, evening news, and Sunday politics shows.

Sorry for the thread bump, but my prediction is starting to play out, at least for the Sunday politics shows. CBS's Face the Nation is slowly falling to third place in both overall and the demo. Seems like ABC's This Week and NBC's Meet the Press are battling it out for first week to week in both overall and the demo: http://www.adweek.com/tvnewser/sunday-show-ratings-november-22-and-sweeps/278484

I will repeat that I don't believe John Dickerson was the right person for the job. They should of went with Norah, and now the ratings are starting to show.

Archived