Legendary CBS Newsman Bob Schieffer Announces Retirement

NYNewsCoverage

I expect Nora to take over and a new anchor to come This Morning or she will somehow pull a George Stephanopoulos and host both shows.

I say Nora because it appears as though they have been grooming her for it by making her Bob's primary fill in. I don't see any other obvious front runners for the job.

Bob is the king of Sunday mornings and he leaves CBS News as the #1 Sunday Morning Public Affairs show. I expect Norah to take over and pull double duty like George unless CBS decides to go in a big new direction.

I always thought Schieffer would replace Scott Pelley once Pelley decided to retire.

Huh?

Surprised he's not gonna stay through the 2016 election.

They probably want the new person in for the election to give them a ratings boost during election season.

Norah is excellent and I would have no problem with her taking over. The question is now- who would take over for her at CTM? My guess is that they would go outside and find a new person.

CTM has recently been using a 2 men to one women ratio when one of the women are off. Maybe they will go in that direction.

Norah is excellent and I would have no problem with her taking over. The question is now- who would take over for her at CTM? My guess is that they would go outside and find a new person.

Katie Couric!

All kidding aside, why does someone need to replace her? Why can't she do the same thing George Stephanopoulos does?

If they don't go with Norah, I can't see Major Garrett anchoring so it would probably be someone outside of CBS News. I think some interesting "gets" would be Andrea Mitchell, Joe Scarborough or Martha Raddatz. Heck, NBC wanted John Stewart, maybe CBS can get him instead.

It should be noted, Norah anchored this past Sunday.

There have been rumors connecting her to ABC, Candy Crowley is still on the market after leaving CNN.

Just throwin' that out there.

Connecting Candy Crowley to ABC? Or do you mean CBS?

Katie Couric!

All kidding aside, why does someone need to replace her? Why can't she do the same thing George Stephanopoulos does?

If they don't go with Norah, I can't see Major Garret anchoring so it would probably be someone outside of CBS News. I think some interesting "gets" would be Andrea Mitchell or Martha Raddatz. Heck, NBC wanted John Stewart, maybe CBS can get him instead.

Yeah I guess that's true.

Connecting Candy Crowley to ABC? Or do you mean CBS?

No. ABC. I saw something bounce around the tabloid sites last week. I doubt that would be a good fit, though.

I always found Bob as a very consummate professional and a damn good anchor and reporter. Face the Nation is a great public affairs programs and will be after his retirement. I agree with everyone else that Norah should be his successor; she was perfect when she fills in for Bob and should be perfect if/when she takes over. I also agree that she should take the Stephanopoulos route and commute between the two programs. She'll be just amazing on Face the Nation.

I will miss him on my TV but he deserves his retirement. I congratulate him for his 46 years at CBS News (including 24 as FTN host/moderator) and wish him well in the future relaxing, enjoying time with his family and maybe take a trip on a yacht. Maybe call it Assignment? (nah, already taken.)

Bob is simply the best of the best in the broadcast journalism business. When he stepped in as interim anchor, I tuned in to the CBS Evening News on a regular basis for the first time ever and kept watching until his time as anchor was up. What an amazing and inspirational career he has had.

I had trouble looking past his lopsided reporting of the Snowden leaks...it was very clear where he stood, and it didn't help that he brought on the likes of Cheney and Rumsfeld as "analysts" every so often. I can't say that I'll miss him.

Norah would be a good pick, though I don't know whether she should or could do both. ABC having George do both is a sign of insecurity that they didn't want to find anyone better to do either show, in my opinion.

ABC could have avoided all of their issues if Tapper had been installed as permanent host George's exit in 2010, instead of bringing in Amanpour.

Yeah, the Amanpour thing was a mistake for everyone.

Honestly what were the execs thinking?--giving the show to her and not Tapper.

Things would've been better had it went to him instead.

Agree that Amanpour was not a good fit. However, maybe it was for the better that things played out the way they did. While Tapper was a better fit, I doubt he would've moved the ratings needle at all, and probably would've cemented third place for them. He just doesn't have that "it" factor. With George back at the helm (and better fill-ins Martha Raddatz and Jonathan Karl), they on most weeks take second place in both total and demo, often challenge FTN for first, and only occasionally drop to third behind MTP.

Archived