WHDH in Hot Water After Following Jurors at Aaron Hernandez Murder Trial

rkolsen

WHDH is in hot water for allegedly following jurors of the Aaron Hernandez murder trial. Two jurors reported seeing a WHDH news van follow them. If the accusations are true WHDH could be barred from the courthouse and possibly face felony juror harassment charges.

According to WCVB jury harassment could:

Under Massachusetts General Laws, it is a felony to harass a member of a jury, and offenders could face up to 10 years in prison, a fine up to $5,000 or both.

ESPN

reports that the judge has threatened that the station will be banned unless they testify under oath to explain what happened.

I can't say I'm not surprised WHDH did this given their tabloid news format.

Has anyone else done this recently? I thought stalking people with news vans went out of style about 5 years ago, or some other distant time-frame.

Tailing people with a news van is idiotic. The whole point of tailing someone is to spy on someone inconspicuously. It's not the brightest idea to follow someone in a big news van with a mast and graphics. Then again this is WHDH which is more flash than substance. Maybe they could have gotten away with it if it was just a regular van with no branding. But ideally I would think you would want to use a regular old car.

As for other instances I feel like a news station or two used their helicopter to record a field trip to the boat where Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found. I'm not sure if the jury was there but at the bare minimum it was the judge.

Has anyone else done this recently? I thought stalking people with news vans went out of style about 5 years ago, or some other distant time-frame.

WKMG (allegedly) followed/filmed jurors with their chopper during the George Zimmerman trial.

I'm still puzzled as to why a station would film jurors. How does that video add to the story? Do you really need some good B-Roll? What purpose does filming a member (or, members) of a sitting jury serve other than to potentially create a mistrial.

WKMG (allegedly) followed/filmed jurors with their chopper during the George Zimmerman trial.

I'm still puzzled as to why a station would film jurors. How does that video add to the story? Do you really need some good B-Roll? What purpose does filming a member (or, members) of a sitting jury serve other than to potentially create a mistrial.

We stalk jurors and bring you exclusive details, That's how We're Coverage You Can Count On.

Tailing people with a news van is idiotic. The whole point of tailing someone is to spy on someone inconspicuously. It's not the brightest idea to follow someone in a big news van with a mast and graphics. Then again this is WHDH which is more flash than substance. Maybe they could have gotten away with it if it was just a regular van with no branding. But ideally I would think you would want to use a regular old car.

As for other instances I feel like a news station or two used their helicopter to record a field trip to the boat where Boston Marathon Bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev was found. I'm not sure if the jury was there but at the bare minimum it was the judge.

For the record (and you should retract the boldface statement), the vehicle that was used to allegedly stalk the jurors was an unmarked SUV, and not a microwave ENG van as you were implying.

WHDH's decals are no different than the competition. It's not flashy per to your unfair, unverified statements.

Thanks for spreading rumors and hatred to a station. You can like or dislike 7 News, but you don't have to go to Fergerson and proverbially light the studio on fire with your words.

For the record (and you should retract the boldface statement), the vehicle that was used to allegedly stalk the jurors was an unmarked SUV, and not a microwave ENG van as you were implying.

WHDH's decals are no different than the competition. It's not flashy per to your unfair, unverified statements.

Thanks for spreading rumors and hatred to a station. You can like or dislike 7 News, but you don't have to go to Fergerson and proverbially light the studio on fire with your words.

At the time of the original reports which have since been updated they mentioned a van was seen at the parking lot. Naturally one would assume that the van would be an ENG truck. As for the more flash than substance comment I was referring to their overall news format.

Thank you for the clarification. It was still an incredibly stupid thing to do and stunts like these just help cement the poor reputation WHDH and its sister WSVN have in terms of journalistic quality.

No one turns on Channel 7 in Miami or Boston expecting actual news.

At the time of the original reports which have since been updated they mentioned a van was seen at the parking lot. Naturally one would assume that the van would be an ENG truck. As for the more flash than substance comment I was referring to their overall news format.

Just to back my original post/inference up here's an initial report from NBC's Pro Football Talk that stated that a WHDH van followed the jurors. This report contained some language that was from the AP that was used in the Boston Herald, WCVB and ESPN reports.

Just to back my original post/inference up here's an initial report from NBC's Pro Football Talk that stated that a WHDH van followed the jurors. This report contained some language that was from the AP that was used in the Boston Herald, WCVB and ESPN reports.

and one knows not to believe in the first story because if you touch the copy it burns your fingers, right?

Seriously...

and one knows not to believe in the first story because if you touch the copy it burns your fingers, right?

Seriously...

Yes. I realize that first reports aren't always true. However my posts were based on the facts available at the time. As such I'm not going to edit my posts. Even if I did edit my posts my original posts they still would be intact in areas where people have quoted me.

Yes. I realize that first reports aren't always true. However my posts were based on the facts available at the time. As such I'm not going to edit my posts. Even if I did edit my posts my original posts they still would be intact in areas where people have quoted me.

Ok so continue your lynchmob mentality. Would you feel this upset if WCVB or WBZ did the same practice?

Ok so continue your lynchmob mentality. Would you feel this upset if WCVB or WBZ did the same practice?

Regardless of whether or not it was in a marked 7 News newsvan, the act itself was still idiotic and par for the course at WHDH. Get over it, no one is apologizing for that.

Personally it doesn't make a difference what vehicle he was in. Be it marked or unmarked, Van or SUV. Heck, I don't care if he was walking or on a bicycle following the jurors. That is a No-No. It was an idiotic decision that served little to no purpose.

And, just for the record I'd say the same thing whether this was just a random guy, blogger or member of another media outlet. But, The fact that he was part of an established media outlet makes it slightly more egregious in my eyes as he really should know better.

Archived