Gannett Spinoff To Be Named "Tegna"...

Marvin Dillweed

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wonder if now that the spinoff is completed, will the Sander stations (KMSB, KGW, WHAS) be taken back directly by Tegna, since the cross ownership rules don't affect those stations anymore.

I would have chosen Neuharth ;)

That sounds like a much better choice of names for the TV division than TEGNA. Wonder who came up with that name and how much money went down the drain in market research as a result?

TEGNA also took with it the lucrative Military Times papers as well, which means they aren't COMPLETELY non-publishing, as the Military Times papers get published once a week.

By lucrative, I they are in every commissary, exchange, and typically on the commander's desk as a paid subscription by the command itself.

Whoever did TEGNA's identity made a good call picking Founders Grotesk, I think. "Reach, Inspire, Inform" seems way less consumer-oriented and more advertiser-oriented to me though.

Whoever did TEGNA's identity made a good call picking Founders Grotesk, I think. "Reach, Inspire, Inform" seems way less consumer-oriented and more advertiser-oriented to me though.

It's kind of a vision statement for them. And honestly, a lot of the brand identity of a media company like this is more advertiser oriented. The storefronts are all the stations and the websites.

I wonder if now that the spinoff is completed, will the Sander stations (KMSB, KGW, WHAS) be taken back directly by Tegna, since the cross ownership rules don't affect those stations anymore.

That simple answer (as of tonight) is YES!!!

It's like just when the spin-off was completed last night, they wasted no time filing the paperwork to get KMSB, KGW & WHAS from Mr. Sander.

That "A TEGNA Company" logo is horrible.

I wonder what will happen to the graphics hub in Denver. Clearly, it can't be "G3" anymore, because they're producing boxy graphics for TEGNA (bleh...) stations, not Gannett ones.

Ms.Garcia Martore was on Monday CNBC Squawk on the Street and here the video

http://video.cnbc.com/gallery/?video=3000392521

She does have a point with the election next year, and the Olympics. They will rake in the cash from advertisers, both commercial and political next year. I reckon that is why TEGNA got saddled with the debt, and not the print side.

It's like just when the spin-off was completed last night, they wasted no time filing the paperwork to get KMSB, KGW & WHAS from Mr. Sander.

So now, the new question is, post "acquisition", will they take KMSB from Raycom and run the news department themselves, or allow that agreement to continue.

That "A TEGNA Company" logo is horrible.

I wonder what will happen to the graphics hub in Denver. Clearly, it can't be "G3" anymore, because they're producing boxy graphics for TEGNA (bleh...) stations, not Gannett ones.

It's been renamed to TEGNA Design Tank or "The Tank".

Looks like things will remain status quo with KMSB. They want to be able to keep the JSA until the Congressionally mandated unwind date. The SSA is for a 10-year term from 2011, when it was signed.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to "bump" a thread that's old.

This new name really shows how low a media company can go. It seems that Gannett since 2012 has been run by marketing execs like a P&G without any understanding of local broadcast media. I find Gannett has even micromanaged news quality against the local stations (other than TIH which I know I am a minority.)

I think anyone who has worked for this company after the name change should have zero respect. They killed their news career. Gannett has no credibility for serious news.

Local news on those stations are simply entertainment. This name change shows further proof (behind This Is Home) how stoop to a low level of respect for professional journalism. Let them burn to hell if you asked me.

So, you're saying that all those people who worked at Gannett-owned stations have just committed career suicide by being there when the company name changed to Tegna? That's a bit harsh.

So, you're saying that all those people who worked at Gannett-owned stations have just committed career suicide by being there when the company name changed to Tegna? That's a bit harsh.

Tegna is a rediculous and funny name, but it's only been half a month since the spinoff and we hadn't seen any repercussions yet if there are, it more than likely won't happen simply because of the name change.

Archived