Gannett Spinoff To Be Named "Tegna"...

Marvin Dillweed

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's actually not as silly as y'all might think. Sometimes it makes sense. For example, if Hearst Corp. were to split, its digital media arm would be called "Argyle Television Holdings III" as there have already been 2 predecessor companies of Hearst by nearly the same name.

They could always follow Gannett's lead and do an anagrammed name-Trash Broadcasting

Why can't they just called it Gannett Broadcasting Company or Gannett Media Group instead of Tegna.

Is (Guy) Gannett Broadcasting still in operation? Or is the trademark active elsewhere, as in a license name for... IDK... a Nexstar or S!nclair station?

That may be why.

It's actually not as silly as y'all might think. Sometimes it makes sense. For example, if Hearst Corp. were to split, its digital media arm would be called "Argyle Television Holdings III" as there have already been 2 predecessor companies of Hearst by nearly the same name.

I was being sarcastic with my previous quote. Lord knows what is the purpose otherwise with squatting on trademarks like "Multimedia" et al for station license names.

I'm pretty sure that an upstart broadcast firm titled Multimedia would pose little to no threat to the Death Star, after all, Multimedia Broadcasting has been defunct for two decades now. But that's just me.

What kind of crazy name is that???!! "Tegna"? Sounds too similar to "Jenga" if you ask me.

Is (Guy) Gannett Broadcasting still in operation? Or is the trademark active elsewhere, as in a license name for... IDK... a Nexstar or S!nclair station?

Guy Gannett Broadcasting has been acquired by Sinclair since 1998, except for WGGB and WOKR, which was sold to other owners.

What kind of crazy name is that???!! "Tegna"? Sounds too similar to "Jenga" if you ask me.

Guy Gannett Broadcasting has been acquired by Sinclair since 1998, except for WGGB and WOKR, which was sold to other owners.

WGGB was kept by Sinclair until its sale to Gormally in 2007. Meredith now owns them.

WOKR cycled through Ackerley, Clear Channel (which renamed it WHAM), Newport and now Sinclair runs them through sidecar Deerfield Media.

• 1 month later...

Hello, everyone. I'm now to this page. Respectfully, I love the name Tegna, even though that name reminds me of the name of the villanious bird warriors--the Tenga Warriors--from the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. Oh, and Gannett's publishing arm will carry the Gannett name.

Anyone know the date when the split will take place?

Just got an email that said June 8th...so next Monday-ish. Tentative, of course, so we'll have to wait and see.

Still haven't received the new IDs yet, so there's that too.

June 8th?! That's roughly quick.

I mayyyy have mis-read the email. Which explains several things.

It said "in preparation of the company separation", sooo yeah. Oops.

Just know the process is underway. lol

I mayyyy have mis-read the email. Which explains several things.

It said "in preparation of the company separation", sooo yeah. Oops.

Just know the process is underway. lol

I'm confused. Does that mean that June 8th is the day that the split will start?

I'm confused. Does that mean that June 8th is the day that the split will start?

I guess the June 8th (tentative) date is "probably" the beginning process of the transition to split. No telling how long the transitional phase is going to be. But I believe we'll be forewarned (via press release) when the spin-off/transition is completed.

Questions;

Does anybody feel that since with the takeover of Gannett they have cheapened former Belo stations with the graphic change and other changes that maybe Belo wouldn't have made?

WWL-consider the older guard in the market with Gannett; it looks like the feel of Channel 4 not the same and would other former Belo station can you say the same thing?

Does anybody feel that Gannett would refresh those graphics, and how long are those block graphic [As I like to call them] will be in place?

Questions;

Does anybody feel that since with the takeover of Gannett they have cheapened former Belo stations with the graphic change and other changes that maybe Belo wouldn't have made?

WWL-consider the older guard in the market with Gannett; it looks like the feel of Channel 4 not the same and would other former Belo station can you say the same thing?

Does anybody feel that Gannett would refresh those graphics, and how long are those block graphic [As I like to call them] will be in place?

I kind of feel how Gannett's buying out Belo cheapened the former Belo stations and the best example of that would be the King Broadcasting stations. Their graphics were mostly high quality, but when the USA Today blocks (as I'd sometimes call those graphics) rolled out, it was a drop in quality compared to the graphics before them.

I could say the same thing about WFAA. Sure the opening cut is authoritative, but it uses it even in their morning newscasts. For those, I'd much rather they use the open that KYTX uses in its morning newscasts (

at :20).

Considering the recent lower thirds update, I think the USA Today blocks will be around at least until 2016 or 2017.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived