WFTV New Set (maybe new graphics?)

MikePulse

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For those who are wondering: WFTV's new set was designed by a new company called Z Space Creative (formerly Studio A Designs), which was founded by two former FX Group designers.

They even have a website now with some of their previous work posted:

http://www.zspacecreative.com/

That explains a lot. That set looks like a FX Group design, but like they actually started trying to design nice stuff again.

The only think about the set that drives me crazy is all of the etched glass with their logos on it.

I assume the home base video back drop is recorded in 4K? I would think artifacts from a 1080i live shot would be magnified on a wall of this size.

Also are there any planes in using the video wall as a graphical element?

I wish studios here in Baltimore were this spacious. As far as I know WJZ is the only station in town where they may be able to fit so,e of this stuff in their larger studio that's used for It's Academic. I believe WBAL and WMAR converted their larger studios into office space.

newscaststudio.com has some images of WFTV awesomeness set that looks good...Here hoping for WSB, WPXI and even WSOC to get that kind of massive set.

WSB or PXI? Maybe. Those sets are just as old; but I wouldn't count on WSOC, seeing as they got their upgrade a couple years ago.

newscaststudio.com has some images of WFTV awesomeness set that looks good...Here hoping for WSB, WPXI and even WSOC to get that kind of massive set.

WSB or PXI? Maybe. Those sets are just as old; but I wouldn't count on WSOC, seeing as they got their upgrade a couple years ago.

Maybe WSB, and that's about it. WFTV and WSB are cash cows for COX and are very competitive, so it makes sense that COX would go all out to keep them there.

Maybe WSB, and that's about it. WFTV and WSB are cash cows for COX and are very competitive, so it makes sense that COX would go all out to keep them there.

Wouldn't WSB, WFTV along with WSOC, WHIO be many cash cows for COX and I bet KTVU was also a cash cow when they were owned by Cox.

Would WSB, WFTV along with WSOC, WHIO be many cash cows for COX and I bet KTVU was also a cash cow when they were owned by Cox.

I'm sure the other stations in the group make good money but they don't make the same amount of money that WSB, WFTV or before the FOX trade- KTVU. 'SB and 'FTV are the crown jewels, hence, they are treated as such. With WFTV's previous set going to TN (presumably WHBQ), it gives you a clear idea as to each station's position in the pecking order. Wouldn't be the first COX station to get a hand-me down set, If i'm not mistaken, wasn't WTAJ's set, WPXI's hand-me downs? I realize that WTAJ is no longer in the COX portfolio.

I'm sure the other stations in the group make good money but they don't make the same amount of money that WSB, WFTV or before the FOX trade- KTVU. 'SB and 'FTV are the crown jewels, hence, they are treated as such. With WFTV's previous set going to TN (presumably WHBQ), it gives you a clear idea as to each station's position in the pecking order. Wouldn't be the first COX station to get a hand-me down set, If i'm not mistaken, wasn't WTAJ's set, WPXI's hand-me downs? I realize that WTAJ is no longer in the COX portfolio.

I think you mean WJAC, which received a carbon copy of WFTV's now former set (as did WPXI and to some extent KFOX before it was sold to Sinclair and merged operations with KDBC).

I think you mean WJAC, which received a carbon copy of WFTV's now former set (as did WPXI and to some extent KFOX before it was sold to Sinclair and merged operations with KDBC).

You're right. My mistake.

On a graphics related note; they're actually trying to key in some of their stings instead of just running them as video. A slow transition, as they're still trying to find their sea legs; the new set actually makes the graphics look better, imo.

Weather/Traffic -

Traffic -

That new talent rejoin -

County-centric sting -

On a graphics related note; they're actually trying to key in some of their stings instead of just running them as video. A slow transition, as they're still trying to find their sea legs; the new set actually makes the graphics look better, imo.

Weather/Traffic -

Traffic -

That new talent rejoin -

Did they have keyable graphics clips before? The messed up chroma key in the first video makes me think keying those clips might be a new thing for the control room.

Did they have keyable graphics clips before? The messed up chroma key in the first video makes me think keying those clips might be a new thing for the control room.

Well, when they went HD, they had a short open that was keyed into the newscast; it didn't last too long, and there was that control room switch since then (getting Ignite and all).

The set is beautiful! Now, when is Martha Sugalski supposed to start?

The Orlando Sentential said tomorrow August 6, we should know about Martha. I'm wondering if she going to anchor the 4pm broadcast and 10pm broadcast. Or will they move Vanessa to the 4pm news and Martha will do 5pm & 10pm on TV27. Or would Martha do 5pm &11pm on Channel 9 and Martie does 6 & 10pm. So many twist at Channel 9 in Orlando.

Well, Martha was not on at 4 or 5. But I did not see the 6pm newscast. I bet if she does go to Channel 9, she will probably fill in for Vanessa Welch while she is on maternity leave. (Or maybe, Vanessa is leaving) The speculation continues.

Here some articles & her twitter page;so while we wait to see where she goes and wonder since Vanessa is prego...WFTV is being tight lip, but can't blame them.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/entertainment/tv/os-martha-sugalski-tv-socia-media-20150801-story.html

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/signature-magazine/os-osig-martha-sugalski-job-20150720-story.html

https://twitter.com/marthasugalski

Archived