Media General merging with Meredith

TheRob

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply

WHAT!?!?! That's just great.

Here are the conflicts:

Mobile (Media General's WKRG/WFNA and Meredith's WALA)

Hartford (Meredith's WFSB and Media General's WTNH/WCTX)

Springfield (Media General's WWLP/WFXQ and WGGB/WSMH-LD)

Portland, OR (Media General's KOIN and Meredith's KPTV/KPDX)

Greenville, SC (Media General's WSPA/WYCW and Meredith's WHNS)

Nashville (Media General's WKRN and Meredith's WSMV)

How in the freaking world will they divest these stations to other companies? Get ready for Sinclair/Nexstar to take over some.

There are six overlapping markets.

"Stations in six markets will be swapped or otherwise divested in order to address regulatory considerations. These markets are Portland, OR; Nashville, TN; Hartford-New Haven, CT; Greenville-Spartanburg, SC-Asheville, NC; Mobile, AL-Pensacola, FL; and Springfield, MA."

Kinda surprising considering we haven't had many major M&A deals lately.

My best guess on the overlaps:

Portland - Keeps KOIN, sells KPTV

Nashville - Keeps WSMV, sells WKRN

Hartford - Keeps WFSB, sells WTNH

Greenville - Keeps WSPA, sells WHNS

Mobile - Keeps WKRG, sells WALA - again!

Springfield - Keeps WGGB, sells WWLP

I think Hearst would be frontrunner for WKRN, WTNH and WWLP as they all fit very well in their portfolio. Raycom could complete networks with WHNS and WALA. As for KPTV, that's a tough one. Tribune would be the first in my mind, but they are over the cap already. Sinclair and Tegna are already in the market.

Even deadline.com is reporting the deal with Media General/ Meredith. http://deadline.com/2015/09/media-general-buys-meredith-tv-stations-1201517578/

WOW!! So what does that mean for Phoenix for 3TV & CBS5 merging together?

I wouldn't be surprise if Sinclair comes sniffing around in Nashville for WKRN to create a combo with FOX 17. I would assume maybe Raycom would move in to get WKRN. Speaking of Raycom I would assume they (MG) would keep WALA which has the higher ratings vs. WKRG and Raycom could make a play for the station which I always thought they should pick up WPMI. Raycom will have a property in all of Alabama.

WKRN-Either kept by MG or Sinclair with FOX 17 (There could be a quad-poly however 58 owned by Lambert and then there Deerfield Media) either Raycom or Cox

WTNH- Cox or Hearst

WHNS -Cox

Could KPTV be FOX O&O. (Ok I'm grasping at straws at that one, or even Sinclair get FOX 12)

Gray has to get in this deal but where???

Now after all these years of WGCL/CBS46 being so dysfunctional NOW MG has it hands full with dysfunctional stations KRON & WGCL... For Columbus, GA and Atlanta CBS affiliates owned by the same company. There a lot to be said about this deal.

Even deadline.com is reporting the deal with Media General/ Meredith.

Well...the first link is a press release direct from the company, so...

Interested in which company lands whichever station Meredith/MG decides to shed. I'm with GoldenShine in saying that they unload WHNS since they'll likely want to hold on to WSPA (CBS affiliate and the #1 station in the market).

GOOD MORNING!

Think about this:

At the start of this decade, most of the stations that MMG will own were Belo, Gormally (WGGB), Media General, LIN, Young, and a couple Sinclair. Four of those companies, plus a few stations from the other two, have now been folded into a massive powerhouse.

It's interesting that Meredith CEO Stephen Lacy was tapped to lead MMG. Also, that name is all kinds of awkward.

As to the station divestitures:

None will be needed in Phoenix as MG never had a presence in Arizona outside of certain KRQE translators.

But elsewhere:

• Portland: KPTV certainly is in the top 4, so I expect them to keep the KPTV-KPDX duopoly and look to sell off KOIN.
  • Springfield, MA: You keep Western Mass News and sell off WWLP.
  • Mobile: Sorry WALA, you're getting sold again. Is Raycom listening?
  • Hartford: This could go either way. (Fun fact: WSMV and WTNH were once sister stations.)
  • Nashville: Sell WKRN. It won't be to Sinclair because they already are a bit big in that market.
  • Greenville: Sell WHNS. It doesn't take a dummy to do this.

As for how I would name the company, I would call it Media General: A Meredith Company. Let MG have the TV brand, but Meredith have the corporate branding.

GOOD MORNING!

Think about this:

At the start of this decade, most of the stations that MMG will own were Belo, Gormally (WGGB), Media General, LIN, Young, and a couple Sinclair. Four of those companies, plus a few stations from the other two, have now been folded into a massive powerhouse.

It's interesting that Meredith CEO Stephen Lacy was tapped to lead MMG. Also, that name is all kinds of awkward.

None will be needed in Phoenix as MG never had a presence in Arizona outside of certain KRQE translators.

But elsewhere:

• Portland: KPTV certainly is in the top 4, so I expect them to keep the KPTV-KPDX duopoly and look to sell off KOIN.
  • Hartford: This could go either way. (Fun fact: WSMV and WTNH were once sister stations.)
  • Nashville: Sell WKRN. It won't be to Sinclair because they already are a bit big in that market.

If KOIN is sold off, who might have a play for it?

Even deadline.com is reporting the deal with Media General/ Meredith. http://deadline.com/2015/09/media-general-buys-meredith-tv-stations-1201517578/

WOW!! So what does that mean for Phoenix for 3TV & CBS5 merging together?

I wouldn't be surprise if Sinclair comes sniffing around in Nashville for WKRN to create a combo with FOX 17. I would assume maybe Raycom would move in to get WKRN. Speaking of Raycom I would assume they (MG) would keep WALA which has the higher ratings vs. WKRG and Raycom could make a play for the station which I always thought they should pick up WPMI. Raycom will have a property in all of Alabama.

WKRN-Either kept by MG or Sinclair with FOX 17 (There could be a quad-poly however 58 owned by Lambert and then there Deerfield Media) either Raycom or Cox

WTNH- Cox or Hearst

WHNS -Cox

Could KPTV be FOX O&O. (Ok I'm grasping at straws at that one, or even Sinclair get FOX 12)

Gray has to get in this deal but where???

Now after all these years of WGCL/CBS46 being so dysfunctional NOW MG has it hands full with dysfunctional stations KRON & WGCL... For Columbus, GA and Atlanta CBS affiliates owned by the same company. There a lot to be said about this deal.

I doubt Gray has a play here. The markets are pretty much all beyond their size range.

If Hearst acquires stations in Springfield and Hartford-New Haven, they would almost complete a network in New England. Raycom can complete networks in both Alabama and South Carolina here.

My best guess on the overlaps:

Portland - Keeps KOIN, sells KPTV

Nashville - Keeps WSMV, sells WKRN

Hartford - Keeps WFSB, sells WTNH

Greenville - Keeps WSPA, sells WHNS

Mobile - Keeps WKRG, sells WALA - again!

Springfield - Keeps WGGB, sells WWLP

I think Hearst would be frontrunner for WKRN, WTNH and WWLP as they all fit very well in their portfolio. Raycom could complete networks with WHNS and WALA. As for KPTV, that's a tough one. Tribune would be the first in my mind, but they are over the cap already. Sinclair and Tegna are already in the market.

I agree it is likely Raycom are interested in those markets, and possibly Nashville.

What the Lin-MG merger showed is that don't assume which station's are going to be divested, we all thought MG would keep WJAR, and sell off WPRI.

Also, just because Tribune doesn't have the room, doesn't mean they can trade stations (cough... WGHP would fit MG... Cough). Also,I am under the assumption a second station will not count towards the cap, and Tribune already owns a station in the market that is likely below the top 4 stations, meaning they can enter Portland if they want a second station

Regarding Tribune, while a play for the leftovers is extremely unlikely, we could sell Portland's KRCW to try to get in on the bidding for KOIN or KPTV/KPDX.

I'm sure MG would be interested in our WHNT in Huntsville or WREG in Memphis if we could pick up the Greenville FOX station or the Mobile FOX station.

GOOD MORNING!

Think about this:

But elsewhere:

Why sell WALA is my question? I do hope Raycom grab either but is WKRG more than WALA. I thought the value of WALA would be greater than WKRG? Either or Raycom can get Nashville, S.Carolina & Alabama.

Hearst for WTNH and could Cox get KOIN? They already own KIRO in Seattle, or could Scripps get KOIN 6? There only a few CBS affiliates in their fold from MJ.

My guesses:

Portland: KPTV could be sold to either Tribune or to Fox.

Springfield, MA: WWLP sold to Hearst

Mobile: WALA sold to Gray

Hartford: WFSB sold to CBS (Maybe due to the CBS O&O graphics that WFSB uses)

Nashville: WKRN sold to Raycom

Greenville: WHNS sold to Gray Television

Seeing that Tribune owns only a dog station in Portland in KRCW, now I think they would be crazy not to inquire about KOIN. Costs them nothing against FCC rules and allows them to have a strong news department with KRCW available to run news in extra time slots. As long as there would still be 8 unique owners..

Anyone else think Hearst could be a contender for whichever station gets broken off in Nashville?

Either MG keeps WKRN and Hearst grabs WSMV or flip SMV for Hearst to grab KRN. However it would behoove Raycom to get WKRN with stations in Memphis and Knoxville. Raycom has to get one of the Mobile stations and for Raycom to get WHNS with (2) S. Carolina in properties in the bag. Maybe Hearst could snag KOIN 6.

My thoughts on who gets Divested

Nashville: Toss-up depending on who has the better ratings.

Mobile: Toss-Up to either Raycom or Gray

Portland: KPTV going to either Cox or Scripps

Springfield: WGGB/WSHM to either Hearst, Cox, or Scripps

Spartanburg/Greenville: WHNS going to either Raycom or Gray

Hartford/New Haven: I'm leaning more towards WTNH going to Scripps, Cox, or Hearst. If WFSB goes, it'll be either Cox or Hearst.

I like the potential owners of Gray, Cox, Hearst & Scripps in this deal. However it apparent for Raycom to get in this deal. Now there been talk of Tribune which also up the ante in this.

Would the Portland Outlook be this?

2KAUT/16 KUNP - Sinclair

6KOIN/32 KRCW- Tribune

8 KGW- TEGNA

12 KPTV/49KPDX- MG

Tribune getting KOIN 6 makes for a valid argument and it almost makes good business sense.

Here we go:

Portland: MG keeps KOIN / KPDX, KPTV to Tribune

Nashville: MG keeps WSMV, WKRN to Raycom

Connecticut: MG keeps WFSB, WTNH / WCTX to Sinclair

Greenville / Spartanburg: MG keeps WSPA / WYCW, WHNS to Raycom

Mobile: MG keeps WKRG / WFNA, WALA to Raycom

Springfield: MG keeps WWLP / WSHM, WGGB to Sinclair

I could see Raycom making some trades for WKRN, WHNS and WALA. Maybe KOLD to MG (among others)?

Archived