Media General merging with Meredith

TheRob

I've seen several posts say that Tribune can form a duopoly with KRCW, are there enought stations in Portland to have another duopoly ?

Also does anyone think that Tribune will sell off CW standalone stations (KDAF, KIAH, WDCW, WSFL, KRCW) in order to get below the cap and make a move at more stations? KRCW, WDCW, KIAH, and KDAF could all easily be sold to Tegna .

(Side note I always hear comments about the Speculatron, what is this? I don't see it listed anywhere on the site. I'm new, sorry)

• Replies 337
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this deal goes through, whoever acquires KOIN will be their 6th owner in nearly 10 years (Emmis, Montecito, New Vision, LIN, Media General, Meredith?). Ouch.

Yep, KOIN has suffered because of this. However LIN and Media General have done some nice things with KOIN in the past 2 years. I don't know how it has translated in the ratings though.

As for KPTV/KPDX, I think it is highly unlikely they would be split up. They are intertwined so much and occupy the same building. I just don't see it making sense to sell off KPTV and make a KOIN/KPDX duopoly.

A KOIN/KRCW duopoly would be interesting. It would mean the end of KGW's longtime 10pm news show which started during the "PAX" years. My guess is KOIN will be sold off.

I've seen several posts say that Tribune can form a duopoly with KRCW, are there enought stations in Portland to have another duopoly ?

Also does anyone think that Tribune will sell off CW standalone stations (KDAF, KIAH, WDCW, WSFL, KRCW) in order to get below the cap and make a move at more stations? KRCW, WDCW, KIAH, and KDAF could all easily be sold to Tegna .

(Side note I always hear comments about the Speculatron, what is this? I don't see it listed anywhere on the site. I'm new, sorry)

Speculatron is a another message board on this site.

http://forums.tvnewstalk.net/index.php?forums/speculatron-9000.49/

LOL Hey why not add Amazon and Netflix to the list as well.

Amazon is not making any pofit right now, Netflix is really more into production and it's dynamic distribution.

Google want in on the election money from broadcast. BroadcastTV will by far outpace online advertising this elex cycle.

Keep a very close eye on Google...they got CASH!

Silicon Valley is not buying any over-the-air TV stations. Silicon Valley and old media are at best frenemies.

ABC should definitely buy KOIN, make it an O&O, and brand as "Eyewitness News," because.

Oh yeah, definitely. And Bob Iger should blow a raspberry in David Smith's face too!

ABC should definitely buy KOIN, make it an O&O, brand as "Eyewitness News," and build a new set from Jack Morton immediately, because.

STOP IT! You're wasting energy with this "ABC should buy so and so because ..." It ain't gonna happen.

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one...

Now there could be a doomsday scenario should Media General hold on to its acquisitions...much like how the Allbritton/Sinclair acquisitions went down....

In Mobile, there's WFNA. They haven't really integrated that much into WKRG since their move from WALA, aside from a few promos. They're also on a strong UHF signal, unlike WALA.

WALA's non-license assets could move to WFNA and it would be a LEGAL duopoly.

The result could be a merger of WKRG and WALA. Since they are CBS and FOX, it would be a revenue powerhouse, but it could eliminate a viable competitor in the market. Each station has its strengths and weakness, and they could undergo a merger much like KTVK and KPHO.

CW could move to a subchannel of either station, and the other subchannels could be moved to WALA's facility if was sold off to a third party.

The same could be said in Greenville/Spartanburg. WYCW could acquire the non-license assets of WHNS, and WSPA's news department would survive since WHNS is clearly the weaker station. WHNS could be a third-party spinoff as well with the leftovers.

Media General may do this because they may NOT want to sell to Raycom. Both markets are missing links and it could be very possible that MG is doing anything to keep Raycom from totally dominating the states they operate in. Plus, after getting burned in Indy by CBS, this could be a power play by them to do what Tribune did to them there.

But if they're not thinking in a Sinclair-ish matter, Raycom may be suitors for the lesser stations, especially now that they've finally opened their checkbook for acquisitions...

Quite possibly, TEGNA may sell or trade off some smaller or weaker stations to take part. Doors opened up when the split from Gannett happened, and now it's a matter of finding room under the cap...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this one...

Now there could be a doomsday scenario should Media General hold on to its acquisitions...much like how the Allbritton/Sinclair acquisitions went down....

In Mobile, there's WFNA. They haven't really integrated that much into WKRG since their move from WALA, aside from a few promos. They're also on a strong UHF signal, unlike WALA.

WALA's non-license assets could move to WFNA and it would be a LEGAL duopoly.

The result could be a merger of WKRG and WALA. Since they are CBS and FOX, it would be a revenue powerhouse, but it could eliminate a viable competitor in the market. Each station has its strengths and weakness, and they could undergo a merger much like KTVK and KPHO.

CW could move to a subchannel of either station, and the other subchannels could be moved to WALA's facility if was sold off to a third party.

The same could be said in Greenville/Spartanburg. WYCW could acquire the non-license assets of WHNS, and WSPA's news department would survive since WHNS is clearly the weaker station. WHNS could be a third-party spinoff as well with the leftovers.

Media General may do this because they may NOT want to sell to Raycom. Both markets are missing links and it could be very possible that MG is doing anything to keep Raycom from totally dominating the states they operate in. Plus, after getting burned in Indy by CBS, this could be a power play by them to do what Tribune did to them there.

But if they're not thinking in a Sinclair-ish matter, Raycom may be suitors for the lesser stations, especially now that they've finally opened their checkbook for acquisitions...

Quite possibly, TEGNA may sell or trade off some smaller or weaker stations to take part. Doors opened up when the split from Gannett happened, and now it's a matter of finding room under the cap...

MMG isn't looking to pull a Sinclair/Gray move. I fully expect for them to sell the stations instead of moving it onto a subchannel.

Have they said where the company will be based out of? Will it be Richmond or Des Moines? Also does this mean that WGCL is now the "flagship" of the group or will this be a company that has no defined flagship?

According to FTV Live, lots of changes to come, including the shuffling of Deb McDermott's role in the new company and BIG changes in Phoenix.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/9/8/meredith-media-general-executive-shuffle

Wonder what, if any role, that on-air branding/design director Kathy Mosher-Boule will have with the new company?.... And what will happen with traffic and graphics, considering the legacy MG stations were hubbed in those areas. Once the new MMG is in place, I'd suspect there will be the biggest change in culture and operating systems yet. Historically Meredith, much like LIN, hasn't been overly inclined to standardize "too much" and appear to have the most autonomy at each property. Master control is obviously a whole different story.

It has to be a stressful time, especially in markets like Mobile, where ONCE AGAIN, folks at two stations get to ponder over what the frick and frack is going to happen and if positions will be safe. Must be fun to do this all over again - just one year later!

Speaking of culture and organizational/operating changes - geez the new Media General/LIN stations have YET to fully unify procedures and have smooth-sailing internally, now throw in the upcoming merger with Meredith. Boy, what a mess.

MMG isn't looking to pull a Sinclair/Gray move. I fully expect for them to sell the stations instead of moving it onto a subchannel.

Have they said where the company will be based out of? Will it be Richmond or Des Moines? Also does this mean that WGCL is now the "flagship" of the group or will this be a company that has no defined flagship?

Speaking of WGCL could MG snatch WPCH 17 and make them a combo operation in the ATL?

Well this is somewhat surprising. Although maybe it shouldn't be. I swore there were rumors of a LIN-Meredith merger floating around prior to the former hitching up with MG. And, given this current incarnation of MG is being run (mostly) by old LIN executives maybe we should have seen this one coming.

At the start of this decade, most of the stations that MMG will own were Belo, Gormally (WGGB), Media General, LIN, Young, and a couple Sinclair. Four of those companies, plus a few stations from the other two, have now been folded into a massive powerhouse.

It's interesting that Meredith CEO Stephen Lacy was tapped to lead MMG. Also, that name is all kinds of awkward.

Lacy will be the combined company's third CEO in as many years (George Mahoney was the CEO from 2013 until the LIN merger, LIN's CEO Vincent Sadusky took that job from him after that and will leave it after this merger is done). How often does that happen?

You can also add New Vision to that long list of companies that have been folded into the current MG over the last 2-3 years.

You know looking at this on the surface this CEO change is a little eyebrow raising to me at least. The head of this company is tasked with integrating what just a little over 3 years ago were 5 separate companies (MG, LIN, New Vision, Young and Meredith). Hopefully, they all have/had a similar vision or plan for the company. From an operational standpoint constantly changing course or, remapping the path isn't a good thing.

Also, just because Tribune doesn't have the room, doesn't mean they can trade stations (cough... WGHP would fit MG... Cough). Also, I am under the assumption a second station will not count towards the cap, and Tribune already owns a station in the market that is likely below the top 4 stations, meaning they can enter Portland if they want a second station

Yes, duopoly stations don't add to the cap. The station group is already in the market so, it is not expanding their national reach at all.

Two things regarding the ownership cap percentage. First, the "UHF Discount" still technically exists. It's been nearly two years and the FCC still hasn't acted on the NPRM. It's been in a state of perpetual limbo since September of 2013. But, it's possible a station owner could at some point call the FCC's bluff on the "UHF discount" NPRM. Second, if Station Groups are going to operate as though the "UHF Discount" NPRM is already law then it's worth noting that the FCC proposed that "in the event that we eliminate the UHF discount, to grandfather broadcast station ownership groups to the extent that they exceed the 39 percent national audience cap solely as a result of the termination of the UHF discount rule as of the date of the release of this NPRM." For example, if Station Group X was at a 48 percent national audience reach (including any pending transactions at the time) without the "UHF Discount" on September 26th, 2013 they cannot go any higher than 48 percent. Station Group X could make moves (buy, sell & swap) without having to come into compliance as long as they say under their grandfathered 48 percent. As proposed in the NPRM the only way Station Group X would need to come into compliance is if the entire group is sold or transferred.

One thing I found interesting reading the press release is that it implies MMG would prefer swaps (or, like kind exchanges) over outright divestures. The press release states in part: "Third-largest local television station owner, initially with 88 television stations across 54 markets that reach 30 percent - or approximately 34 million - U.S. TV households. It will include 40 Big Four network-affiliated TV stations located in the Top 75 DMAs. Stations in six markets will be swapped or otherwise divested in order to address regulatory considerations. These markets are Portland, OR; Nashville, TN; Hartford-New Haven, CT; Greenville-Spartanburg, SC-Asheville, NC; Mobile, AL-Pensacola, FL; and Springfield, MA. To the extent that the company is able to successfully execute swaps, as opposed to outright sales, it will further enhance the combined company's size and scale. Moelis & Company has been retained to manage the process of divesting stations in overlapping markets to facilitate regulatory approval." Of course I bolded for emphasis and there is no guarantee they will be able to follow through on that plan but, I just found it interesting that they were willing to put that out there.

http://www.ftvlive.com/todays-news/2015/9/8/meredith-media-general-executive-shuffle

"Current Media General TV head, Deb McDermott, is out. Word is, they'll find a place for Deb. Sources say top execs lost confidence in McDermott over her handling of the Media General/LIN merger"

I wonder what she did that made them lose confidence in her. What part of the merger didn't go smoothly?

Think about this:

At the start of this decade, most of the stations that MMG will own were Belo, Gormally (WGGB), Media General, LIN, Young, and a couple Sinclair. Four of those companies, plus a few stations from the other two, have now been folded into a massive powerhouse.

It was a very different picture five years ago. Sinclair was a battered and beaten company from the recession that almost filed for bankruptcy, and Media General was bleeding money thanks to its failing newspapers.

Now with Meredith people soon to control of the television side of MMG, I fully expect them to continue their "window shopping" of selected stations that could fit the profile. They have quite a way to go under the cap even as the soon-to-be third largest group...

I don't see Raycom buying either WALA or WHNS mainly because there in the process of buying the Drewry stations. I see those 2 going with KOIN to Tribune in exchange for WHO-TV in Des Moines because I have a strong feeling that with Des Moines being one of MMG's Headquarters I think they would be very interested in buying WHO-TV as far as KFOR/KAUT is concerened I think they get caught up in this as well although I don't think they're going with WHO-TV to MMG I see it happening mainly because Tribune will likely have to swap some stations because buying those mentioned stations will put them over the 39% ownership limit. As far as who buys KFOR/KAUT the 2 leading candidates for KFOR/KAUT are TEGNA (ironically their predecessor Gannett owned KFOR when it was KTVY until they had to sell Channel 4 due to their ownership of KOCO at the time) and either way I see TEGNA end up in the OKC market regardless if they buy KFOR or KWTV (the latter is for another topic for another thread for another day). Scripps is also another leading candidate because buying KFOR would put them in common ownership with fellow Oklahoma-based NBC affiliate KJRH in Tulsa (similar to Griffin buying rival KOTV from Belo in 2000). On top of that for Tribune these divestures of WHO-TV and KFOR/KAUT will also give them the opportunity to buy the Dreamcatcher stations WNEP in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA and the Norfolk, VA duopoly of WTKR and WGNT (unless they've already chosen to do so). On top of that I don't see Tribune giving up their Fox, CBS, CW or ABC stations so I think Tribune will wound up selling their 2 NBC affiliates as part of their acquisitions of KOIN in Portland, WALA in Mobile and WHNS in Greenville.

I don't see Raycom buying either WALA or WHNS mainly because there in the process of buying the Drewry stations. I see those 2 going with KOIN to Tribune in exchange for WHO-TV in Des Moines because I have a strong feeling that with Des Moines being one of MMG's Headquarters I think they would be very interested in buying WHO-TV as far as KFOR/KAUT is concerened I think they get caught up in this as well although I don't think they're going with WHO-TV to MMG I see it happening mainly because Tribune will likely have to swap some stations because buying those mentioned stations will put them over the 39% ownership limit. As far as who buys KFOR/KAUT the 2 leading candidates for KFOR/KAUT are TEGNA (ironically their predecessor Gannett owned KFOR when it was KTVY until they had to sell Channel 4 due to their ownership of KOCO at the time) and either way I see TEGNA end up in the OKC market regardless if they buy KFOR or KWTV (the latter is for another topic for another thread for another day). Scripps is also another leading candidate because buying KFOR would put them in common ownership with fellow Oklahoma-based NBC affiliate KJRH in Tulsa (similar to Griffin buying rival KOTV from Belo in 2000). On top of that for Tribune these divestures of WHO-TV and KFOR/KAUT will also give them the opportunity to buy the Dreamcatcher stations WNEP in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton, PA and the Norfolk, VA duopoly of WTKR and WGNT (unless they've already chosen to do so). On top of that I don't see Tribune giving up their Fox, CBS, CW or ABC stations so I think Tribune will wound up selling their 2 NBC affiliates as part of their acquisitions of KOIN in Portland, WALA in Mobile and WHNS in Greenville.

After Drewry buys I'm sure Raycom would want to jump in this ship. If not who to say Nexstar would snatch up WALA, WHNS etc. I always wonder why Meredith didn't have an operation in Des Moines, but I feel WHO, WNEP should of been apart of Gray.

I do think KFOR/KAUT should totally go to TEGNA, but also do a swap with KOCO going to Scripps with WTVF going to Hearst. [scripps has this massive hard on for ABC]

Alabama, S.Carolina & Tennessee are totally in the fold for Raycom & CBS seems to have a great relationship with Tribune and totally can see KOIN with Tribune.

I'm pretty sure atlnews2 is right that there aren't enough stations for another proper duopoly in Portland.

1. Media General currently owns KOIN;

2. Meredith currently owns KPTV/KPDX;

3. Sinclair owns KATU/KUNP;

4. Tegna's in the process of buying KGW outright from Sander;

5. Tribune owns KRCW;

6. ION Media owns KPXG;

7. TBN owns KNMT;

8. Oregon Public Broadcasting owns its network of PBS stations.

That's all the full power stations I could find in the Portland market and it's right at the minimum eight separate owners. There could always be some obscure full power tucked away somewhere in the outskirts, though.

Nashville could be interesting too...

In all likelihood, WSMV is going to stay with MMG. WKRN is going to be spun off.

The problem with Nashville is that the major stations (WSMV and WTVF) are using VHF for DTV , while WKRN has UHF. Could a facility swap be in the works?

Now if Sinclair wanted to take a bigger piece of the market, they could dump WZTV, move FOX to WUXP, abandon WNAB and trade up to WKRN in the process.

The interesting position they put themselves in is that they DOMINATE the ability to counter-program the other 3 stations.....which makes them the only game in town to have extended AM shows and a 9pm news.

Going after WKRN could jeopardize that and if WTVF or WSMV acquires a second station in the process, they would certainly attempt to compete with "WZTV".

There is no way that new company is letting go of a cash cow like WFSB. Mark my words, Sinclair will purchase WTNH and WWLP. Sinclair likes being in state capitals and with their new national Sunday show launching this fall, they would love to be in Connecticut. Because even though it is shrinking as a market, it still is home to a lot of movers and shakers.

Also I'm not sure why a previous poster was surprised Media General kept the duopoly in Providence - a successful duopoly with Big 4 affiliates almost always takes in more cash than even one strong station like WJAR.

Archived